Help Transitioning to new hub

Hello,

I setup my first ST hub (v1) many years ago when I was making a walk in closet to automate the lighting. This was before I knew enough about the z-wave device requirements to plan out the installation for future upgrades. Essentially, I have GE Z-Wave electrical sockets installed behind the closet units (IKEA Pax) and I plugged in the corresponding lighting for each side of the room. In other words, the GE Z-Wave sockets are not accessible to physically reset/pair without a lot of work and lifting. Is there any possible way to move these devices to either Hubitat or the the new ST alternative so I do not need to touch the actual devices?

Thank you in advance,
Eric

Unfortunately no. Moving to Hubitat would require you to exclude the devices before moving, which would be the same for a new ST hub (or any other hub for that matter). There no migration tool for v1 hubs that I know of, but it would be nice if ST did actually help customers like you with a migration tool.

More info and discussions going on over here:

1 Like

Any way you go about it you’ll need to physically access the device - z-wave was designed this way as a security measure.

I have a similar setup at my home (Pax units in front of outlet) - but actually bolted the pax units flush to the wall, cut out the back around where the outlet is and put a faceplate over the outlet in the back of the closet. Provides access to the outlet and conceals wiring for the in-closet lights nicely. If interested in this setup, shoot me a PM and I can help with a way to easily (and safely) do this.

2 Likes