Help Needed with leaving/returning from work automations

Hey Community!

I just moved from Home Assistant to SmartThings last week and I’m really enjoying it so far The nature of how things work are slightly different and I’m hoping I can get a little help putting together some automations (routines?).

My wife and I work separate shifts. With a regular day time schedule, I don’t think I would be having as many problems, but being she is on a night shift, I need things to happen independently.

What I’m trying to accomplish:
When I lave for work - Back door sensor opens, back door light turns on (if before sunrise), internal lights term off, garage door opens. Smart Home Monitory set to Armed (away).

When she leaves for work - Back door sensor opens, back door light turns on (if after sunset), garage door opens.

When either of us return from work - Garage door opens, back door light turns on if after sunset or before sunrise.

Things being used:
Z-wave open/close door sense
Z-wave garage door opener
Motion Sensor (in the garage)
Phones for presence detection

I have the “Smart Lighting” app controlling the back door light just fine. When the back door is opened the light comes on. If the garage door opens, the light comes on. I also have the “return home” automation working fine. When we enter the geofence, garage door opens and light comes on when expected.

My problem… how do I get the garage door to open when our back door opens, but only if one of us is home and it’s between the hours of 6:15 - 6:45AM and 5:15: - 5:45PM? I’ve been able to successfully set up a routine that opens the garage door EVERY time our back door opens, but that’s not exactly what I’d like. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for the help and patients. I really appreciate it!

Welcome!

There are several ways to do this, but it this point the Best fit is likely to be core.

Since you’re used to home assistant, Core should be pretty straightforward for you. :sunglasses:

Thanks! I just got CoRE setup yesterday… I think… I’ll take a look through the documentation on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most of the core experts hang out in their peer Assistance thread, so if you have any questions, ask there and they’ll be glad to help. :sunglasses: