I’m looking for a better camera to use on our front porch and I’m having a hard time finding one to fit our basic needs. Here are our needs:
- Must be able to record while in live view mode.
- Must be able to select the motion monitored area(s) within the camera’s view.
- No monthly fees for video storage (something like Arlo’s 7 days for free would meet this requirement).
- Can display video feed in SmartTiles.
Nice to have features
- Wifi control and recording.
- Battery operated.
- Weatherproof (It will be protected from the elements for the most part under the porch, an indoor Blink is serving well in this location right now).
Based on those needs, what camera would you suggest?
I am currently using a Blink camera on our front porch and while it does a good job of picking up motion and notifying us (it picked up two unexpected visitors at our door just yesterday), it does not allow the wife to live view who is there if they trigger the motion detector. It also has too wide of a motion detection area… much larger than the camera’s viewing area. This makes it pick up the tires of cars out on the street even when said car is not even in the frame. I can turn the sensitivity down to combat this, but then it does not pick up people walking up to the door early enough.