Help, everything gone!

Woke up this morning and 95 percent of everything is gone in smartthings, even my cameras in arlo app and my netatmo app are gone, not aware of what could possibly cause that major of a setback in smartthings I understand it can be Samsung but in the arlo and netatmo camera app too I don’t know where to start

First, check to see if you have more than one location listed. If so check the other location.

If you don’t have multiple locations and /or there are no devices in the other location, call support.

1 Like

seems like the kids might have got some malicious activity on my network going, Arlo support helped clean up everything for a fee and got my Arlo cameras working, but smartthings only shows my 2 ecobee sensors and my hue stuff linked through a smart app like switches and motion sensors, everything else is gone.

1 Like

That suuuucks. Still, call support and see what they can do. Then take admin access away from the kids on the PC. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the only way they could’ve killed everything on your smart things account would be through smartthings account functions, like deleting the location. It wouldn’t be enough to just get a virus on the network or something like that.

So that’s just something to be aware of as you look for future preventive measures. In particular, you want to look at whether they have access to your smartthings account itself.

Are you using the presence sensor feature Of the smartthings mobile app on the kids’ phones? If so, you might want to switch to life 360 or IFTTT presence for them so they don’t have to have the smartthings mobile app for presence.

1 Like

No presence on kids phones, netatmo and arlo security cameras were wiped too. I don’t think the kids managed to do that on purpose, arlo support says malware or something got into my system but shouldn’t happen again with some software they installed. Hue pain setting everything back up up, not home now so only got so much back up

1 Like

What did they install?

1 Like

I’m not exactly sure what it is, but it’s supposed to prevent this from happening again.

1 Like

Honestly I’m more worried about the thing that was installed that you don’t know about now.

2 Likes

Seriously.

1 Like

It’s netgear, they spent hours fixing this for me so I’m not too worried.

1 Like

Yeah I guess it’s unlikely that someone from Netgear deliberately installed something malicious on your LAN. I would have misgivings about such a solution nonetheless, but that’s me.

And the idea that some malware on your LAN caused your SmartThings, Arlo and Netatmo settings (most of which should be in the cloud) to be simultaneously wiped doesn’t entirely make sense in the first place.

The only reason I called netgear was because they have a phone number lol (smartthings and netatmo do not) and I needed someone to help figure out what happened, everything was gone before netgear helped fix it.

Been waiting two days for smartthings to reply to my email to see if they can tell what happened. I know some major network settings were off and thousands of errors in a screen he showed me on my pc, I was trying to go to work so I didn’t pay the best attention, just wanted it resolved. I was pretty shocked to wake up to everything gone and they were the only ones who have a phone and did resolve it.

Are you in the United States?

If you’re in the US, you can call 1-800-SAMSUNG to reach SmartThings tech support by phone.

In Canada, I called 1800 Samsung but didn’t hear an option for the hub, just the connect hub. So I settled for emailing them and waiting patiently. I doubt they can put stuff back on it but I’m curious as to what caused the wipe