Help: cannot connect Wifi plug to phone app

I am having trouble connecting my 2 SmartThings Wifi plugs to my SmartThings app (iPhone). I already have a SmartHub connected to my account. It fails for both plugs after it asks me to connect my phones Wifi to the plug. I’ve restarted my phone, reset the plugs, tried multiple outlets, and tried both SmartThings phone apps. Is there anyone that can help me with this problem? SmartHub is useless without these plugs working for me.

If you are using an iPhone, make sure the SmartThings app has location permissions enabled

I have location services set to always on in iPhone Settings, and I have turned on both using my phone location and my home location in the app in the settings under “use phone location”, still won’t Connect. Is there another location setting I’m missing?

Nah, that sounds right.

If you have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi networks, it’s likely the plugs and phone are on different networks.

How can I check if I have both of these networks?

What brand and model WiFi router are you using? And what type of phone?

I assume the router brand is D-Link since some parts have that branding on it, and my phone is an iPhone X

There are apps you can put on your phone to check the nearby WiFi networks. On Android, I use one called “Wifi Analyzer”. Use the AP List view, expand the entry for your Wi-Fi SSID, look for entries marked “5G”.

The easiest thing to do would be get on a browser and log into the admin UI on the router. There’s probably a sticker on it with the user and password for administering it.

Find the settings for the 5Ghz band and disable it. Your phone will then fall back to the 2.4Ghz band and you should be able to connect from the phone to the plugs.

After you’re done setting up the plugs, enable your 5Ghz band, it shouldn’t matter once setup is done.

Some mesh systems don’t allow you to differentiate the bands by ssid or turn them off. One thing you can do is go to the very edge of your WiFi range. Since 2.4 ghz reaches farther than 5 ghz, that will help force your phone to the 2.4 ghz band.

Well guys… I tried finding those wifi apps on Apple and I was getting frustrated, so I downloaded the Smartthings app onto my iPad and tried the process from there, and it worked. And it synced over to my phone, and it’s all working now. Really weird, but thanks everyone for trying to help me out with this!!!

1 Like

Depending on the age of your iPad, it may only support 2.4Ghz. I had Apple devices for work about 5 years ago so I’m a little fuzzy on details.

It’s a 2018 base iPad model I have

If I knew the Apple devices intimately, that would help.

When asking questions here, you’ll find most of the user community happy to help but mostly needing exact make and model numbers. Those can be found on the back or bottom of the devices.

I googled for “iPad 2018 base WiFi” and got this page which indicates that model (which may or may not be yours) supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

https://m.gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_9_7_(2018)-9142.php

Here’s a good explainer for the various WiFi versions.

Most modern stuff supports 802.11b and 802.11g on the 2.4Ghz band, 802.11ac on the 5Ghz band, and 802.11n which can use both.

Yep. My eero is one of those. When I had some cheap WiFi plugs to set up a couple of years ago, I still had one older tablet which only had 802.11b/g 2.4Ghz support.

The poster said he has D-link which, I believe, still gives you a real administration interface.

1 Like