Hello I'm @gausnes, how can I help

Its a functional language that compiles into javascript. I like functional languages, so I’m doing something in my personal time I try to pick languages I like :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ahhh, a masochist.

4 Likes

Probably before your time. :slight_smile:
Elm (email client) - Wikipedia

5 Likes

Way before his time, Glenn!!! :yum:

2 Likes

Welcome, Luke! Looking forward to your contributions :smile:

Question: how much of your day is allocated to this task? Hopefully we won’t take it all!

1 Like

hey, good luck…

Could you check into the status of the following:

Local network full stack access?

extended chars able to send in local hubaction

ability to parse non html/json/xml responses on local hubaction

htmlTile docs?

html interfaces?

dynamically create / hide / add tiles in UI

broken android tile font rendering for many tile x,y sizes

Lack of email alerts

inability to send mms alerts

status of contact book?

status of hub alerts for those that have contact book, low battery, hub offline are all broken if contact book is enabled.

github integration issues slowing down ide

missing web application, aka web dashboard or web client (promised 2+ years ago)

broken hue integration, no groups, scenes, etc.

broken sonos integration, no playlists, no grouping, etc.

no ability to show a list of information in tiles

Migration tool status

UK github integration, will it ever happen?

local device types and/or smartapp execution?

smartapp marketplace for community devs?

hub offline notifications in mobile app are buried and not obvious

video streaming documentation / support for more cameras?

I am sure there are more… This post from 2014 should cover most of it…

4 Likes

Wow… way to welcome the rookie, Patrick… :rolling_eyes:

Due respect to Luke and his enthusiasm; let’s just say … I’ve been in his position and optimistic attitude and it ironically comes with a lot of risks. We are not obligated to make this any easier – but we could try.

As for @gausnes: My unsolicited and hypocritical advice; spend a lot more time listening rather that posting; even if your posts are extremely well intentioned. Even better … don’t post publicly at all. Just use Private Messages and establish relationships with a few favorite Community members.

11 Likes

Thanks for posting @gausnes and welcome.

4 Likes

Hey, he said he was lurking for awhile. Assuming he has some desire to actually answer what is going on behind the scenes it would be nice to hear anything.

@Alex doesn’t answer questions anymore. His sudden stop in posting here has me thinking he has left ST. I don’t think any of the ST staff that post here have mentioned him since his last post. They know something we don’t, he is gone. Only one ST related tweet since early August.

I am just speculating, @Alex has invited it by abandoning us.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I expected some kind of announcement, probably the kind executives get, like “spend more time with family,” or, “pursue other interests,” or (the golden parachute), “is busy working on special assignment.”

The next phase of the acquisition is well underway…

3 Likes

This isn’t necessarily an assign task, but I have been keeping the forums open on my personal computer and have down time throughout the week for various reasons (primarily waiting on feedback from other devs).

I feel like by only PMing elect community members, people that don’t post or are less prevalent members of the community would be unintentionally left out of the loop and ignored. I would like to see all members of this forum feel like they have some insight to the work happening here at SmartThings.

I don’t know if I would say that I’m optimistic, the quote below lead me to make this post. Its more about transparency than anything.

@pstuart that is quite the list, I’ll see what I can do about finding out more about the current status of those items.

4 Likes

Don’t worry, I’ve had years to build it. :slight_smile:

Somehow I feel you are swimming upstream. Hope you don’t get smacked down…

I appreciate your enthusiasm, applaud it actually.

Good luck with all that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey Luke, welcome to the forums. And Luke… I am NOT your father… sorry :slight_smile: but I’ll give you this advice:

Tread carefully :snake:

Actually, I plagiarized that from @tgauchat… LOL

5 Likes

What precisely do you guys mean by that?

1 Like

Sorry, but this is absurd. Alex’s desk is 20’ from me.

We sure do! We’re working on several things right now that we can’t really talk about. Stay tuned.

Welcome @gausnes :wink:

7 Likes

I think what they are trying to say is we have watched other former ST employees speak up on the forums to then disappear into the ether. By ether I mean, no longer with ST. Or hidden in some dark part of ST and never allowed to post because they are always “heads down” on “projects”…

Anyway, head on a swivel…

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t think their warnings are nefarious but rather are likely genuine concern. While this community enjoys the involvement with SmartThings employees we have, there is a decent history of broken commitments and lack of follow through that leads to a certain degree of cynicism. From my perspective the community, for the most part, is fair but tough. Lots of valid frustrations that we all know you won’t personally be able to rectify but will likely tag you with anyway. Lots of hard questions where any stumble is magnified by your position.

I for one applaud the engagement though. If everyone waited until they were as knowledgeable as @JDRoberts then he’d be talking to himself :wink:. There is no rule that says you have to always be right, be held personally accountable for SmartThings delivery on its promises, or that everything you say is immediately a “SmartThings decree”.

To SmartThings credit, part of the reason people are suggesting to tread carefully, is simply because so few companies interact with customers in this way, without pr/marketing vetting every post, that both sides are still learning how it works best.

Oh and

@Tyler could you learn over and maybe just put it in Alex’s ear, that these kind of rumors start when you just all the sudden go dark without any kind of closure to a commitment made just over 4 months ago saying that for the foreseeable future you’ll be providing weekly updates as to the platform/product progress. If that future has come to pass, fair enough, but a recap post describing the end of that period and what the transition to the next looks like would have been nice (maybe I missed it, but couldn’t really find anything since 7/23). Yes I realize this comment puts me squarely in the group of cynics I described above. I’m a pleasant cynic though :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No, it’s great feedback. Definitely will :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

That would be awesome, @Tyler! Thanks for clarifying the whereabouts of @alex

As Mark Twain supposedly said, “Reports of my (demise) are greatly exaggerated!”

1 Like