[OBSOLETE] Hello, Home HomeKit (and Siri!) control via homebridge

Rick, Pizzinini - Hmmm…so my Eve stopped working. It was still showing the devices from the ST platform, but showed them all as “unreachable”. No errors on loading homebridge (though I did get warnings about using Bonjour compatible avahi rather than native avahi…i assume i also had those warnings before with no issue). I tried resetting homekit per Rick in Settings->privacy and deleted the entire definition of home and try to re-pair eve, but it’s still not finding ST. Any other ideas?

The only thing I can suggest is to reset everything, since that is what eventually worked for me. Since I don’t know what exactly my problem was, resetting everything got it to work:

1. Delete the app in the smartthings portal. Re-add the app, enable OAuth.
  2. Recreate json code, copy, paste in config.json.
  3. Delete EVE app. Reinstall.
  4. Reset on phone under settings, Privacy.
    (maybe)
  5. under Settings, icloud keychain. Disable, then enable. I think I did this when I was having JSON API issues and it would show up a 500 error page, vs the JSON code. Probably not related…

I’m only guessing, and I’m probably not the best resource. I have a question for others: Should things in EVE show up as ‘unreachable’ when your phone is not on the same wifi lan as the homebridge? When I was remote yesterday, it also said unreachable, but I’m not sure of what is normal since a) I just got this started, and b) ST cloud took a dump yesterday.

Good Luck,

I had that happen in the beginning one time, too. As a desperate attempt to shortcut, I just re-installed homebride on the raspberry pi (sudo npm install --unsafe-perm -g homebridge) and it started working again! I did not do a complete re-build.

Also, I am no longer using Eve but the iDevice app. Not that it makes a difference in functionality, I just liked the interface better. :slight_smile:

What’s the homebride that you installed? :wink:

See post 89 - I am trying to describe in layman’s term what I did :wink:

**** I figured it out****

I followed all of the steps in this thread and successfully installed Homebridge on my Pi, but am having troubles with the JSON API. Why is it when I select my switches from within the app and then select Config does it only show me the main platform “SmartThings” along with the app_id, access_token etc.? I don’t see anything regarding the switches I have selected. Am I forgetting to do something? BTW I have deleted the smartapp from the IDE and reinstalled it a few times with no luck.

Did you enable OAuth in the smartapp via the IDE?

I did… I was expecting more that just the app_id and access_token to my smartthings. Once I copied the information and put it in the config.json file it started working. I was just expecting more information to show up when I pressed config within the JSON API app.

There is nothing wrong. This what the config.json file looks like. It does not include the list of switches.

To double check that your devices are all included look at “debug” in the smart app,

Here is what my file looks like (replaced keys with xxxxxx)

{
“description”: “JSON API”,
“platforms”: [
{
“platform”: “SmartThings”,
“name”: “SmartThings”,
“app_id”: “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”,
“access_token”: “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”
}
]
}

1 Like

Perfect… Thank you. I followed the other instructions to have it boot when the raspberry pi start up, but I am now getting an error. “Cannot add a bridged Accessory with the same UUID as another bridged Accessory” then it shows my ID.

I try running Homebridge and I get the error. From within Eve it says my devices are now “unreachable”.

Figured this one out too… I had my Philips Hue light doubled up (smartthings and homekit). Deselected the smartthings hue bulbs and it started.

Is there a way to control your routines with Siri?

Im looking at the same problem, how did you get around this?

What problem are you having?

so i’ve tried both ways through JSON API - there was a problem authenticating with smart things.
And through SmartThingsHelloHome.js - i’ve followed all but it doesn’t seem to be registering as an accessory or reading my config properly.

I ended up using JSON.API and it worked. Once you have published that app in IDE (don’t forget to enable OTAP), launch smartthings, go to the marketplace, install the app and hit DONE. Now go to your “Home” section, find the app within SmartApps, go into Config and copy the information it gives you…

{
“description”: “JSON API”,
“platforms”: [
{
“platform”: “SmartThings”,
“name”: “SmartThings”,
“app_id”: “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”,
“access_token”: “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”
}
]
}

Paste it to a document (example notepad in windows), save it as config.json and copy this into the hidden ‘.homebridge’ folder… Make sure it’s the hidden one.

Finally launch homebridge and it should come up and say ‘0 accessories and 1 platform’. You can then go into the JSON API smartapp, select all your devices (hit done) and they should show up in Eve or iDevice (whatever app you are using).

I have done this several times now and still coming up with “[SmartThings] There was a problem authenticating with SmartThings.”

Any ideas?

Are you using an iPhone or Android device?

iPhone in the UK, have changed all URL links in the code…

Just to be clear this error is coming up when you go into Config in JSON API?

The only think I can think of is to check “Settings” -> “Privacy” -> “Homekit” and see if there is anything in there you can turn on. Also you could try uninstalling SmartThings on your phone and reinstalling it to see if that helps.