[OBSOLETE] Hello, Home HomeKit (and Siri!) control via homebridge

I’m not seeing how to group two items into one, could you do a quick step by step? I have a smart things outlet which is showing as two devices. One is a switch, the other is an outlet. is this a result of the outlet being both switchable and having energy readings? Does apple home kit support energy?

thanks!

My experience with Home Bridge is positive. I setup the homebridge using MAC.

Couple Note here for first timer:

1. if you have NPM permission issue while installing homebridge and homebridge-smartthing, try follow https://docs.npmjs.com/getting-started/fixing-npm-permissions. Once it is done, re-install again.
  2. This video does help on walk your through step by step: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yQklSq3_Mo
    3.Help to understand what needs to be setup in couple easy follow steps Hello, Home HomeKit (and Siri!) control via homebridge
  3. Lots of people asking where to put “config.json”, here is the path, “/Users/your user name/.homebridge” (Please make sure you have installed the homebridge and homebridge-smartthing before go search for this folder, otherwise, you will not find it.
  4. in case you got the message from your HomeKit said that you need to “reset the homekit” in order to add the accessory again, what you need is go to config.json file, change the username, you can do so by modify it for example “CD:22:3D:E3:CE:33” to “CD:22:3D:E3:CE:40” and change your pin, example from “035-45-855” to "“035-45-860” and restart homebridge again. You should be able to add those accessory again. hope that helps!
1 Like

Have same question about how to group 2 items into one, I am seeing repeat switch on the same group.

Free lawyer advice is typically not worth paying for.

I finally got this going now that I have a Synology Docker setup. Anyone have success with Linear Garage Doors yet? Seems to not consistently open/close with Homekit. I have similar issues with Alexa FWIW. I use Rboy’s zWave Garage Door with Switch device type.

Sometimes the doors open and close, other times not.

Make the following changes in the JSON
"platforms": [{
“platform”: “homebridge-legacy-plugins.SmartThings”,
“name”: “SmartThings”,
or
"platforms": [{
“platform”: “homebridge-smartthings.SmartThings”,
“name”: “SmartThings”,

Does anyone have Smarthings Routines working with Homebridge? I’m not able to get a token using https://github.com/arcreative/homebridge-smartthings-routine even with OAUTH enable.

I am very late to this game, but I recently setup Homebridge on my Synology NAS via Docker and I’m very impressed with HomeKit and Siri.

Siri is extremely responsive and I feel like my devices are local and not in ST cloud. She seems to understand most phrases better than Alexa for Home Automation. My only complaint is Siri won’t work with most devices when the phone is locked despite my settings preference in iOS. I can now use Siri to unlock my locks, start my car, etc.

The Apple Home app is very well laid out, user friendly and easy to use. Love how you can swipe to different rooms from left to right. Of course, it’s not going to allow for complex automations but Apple is not targeting us power users.

The biggest challenge I have now in my house now is remembering when to use Alexa vs Siri. It depends on where I am in my house.

1 Like

I’ve been attempting to follow a number of different guides on how to setup HomeBridge on an RPi and associate it with Smartthings and I’ve been struggling. Does anyone have a good, updated guide that I can follow?

This guide looks pretty simple:

I used this because i like Docker:

I’m having an issue where my config is deleted after a Pi reboot… If I figure out why I’ll follow up.

I’m stuck & would appreciate any assistance. I’ve been able to successfully launch homebridge with either Nest or Smartthings, but when I attempt to add both device into my JSON file I’ve had no luck resolving the error below.

[2018-3-19 22:11:48] Loaded plugin: homebridge-nest
[2018-3-19 22:11:48] Registering platform ‘homebridge-nest.Nest’
[2018-3-19 22:11:48] —
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] Loaded plugin: homebridge-smartthings
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] Registering platform ‘homebridge-smartthings.SmartThings’
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] —
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] Loaded config.json with 0 accessories and 3 platforms.
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] —
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] Loading 3 platforms…
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] [Nest] Initializing Nest platform…
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] [Nest] Fetching Nest devices.
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] [SmartThings] Initializing SmartThings platform…
[2018-3-19 22:11:49] [SmartThings] Fetching Smart Things devices.
/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/api.js:108
if (name.indexOf(’.’) == -1) {
^

TypeError: Cannot read property ‘indexOf’ of undefined
at API.platform (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/api.js:108:12)
at Server._loadPlatforms (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:294:45)
at Server.run (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:85:36)
at module.exports (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/cli.js:40:10)
at Object. (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/bin/homebridge:17:22)
at Module._compile (module.js:652:30)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:663:10)
at Module.load (module.js:565:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:505:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:497:3)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:693:10)
at startup (bootstrap_node.js:188:16)
at bootstrap_node.js:609:3

This is my JSON config.

{
“bridge”:{
“name”:“Homebridge”,
“username”:“CC:22:3D:E3:CE:22”,
“port”:51826,
“pin”:“031-45-154”
},
“description”:“Apple HomeKit”,
“platforms”:[
{
“platform”:“Nest”,
“token”:"",
“clientId”:“72f70e58-9dc7-4125-80fa-xxxxxxxxxxxx”,
“clientSecret”:“xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”,
“code”:“xxxxxxxx”
},
{
“platform”:“SmartThings”,
“name”:“SmartThings”,
“app_url”:“https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com:443/api/smartapps/installations/”,
“app_id”:“a900796c-b623-4d5a-9e76-xxxxxxxxxxxx”,
“access_token”:“ca1489d5-475c-4e9d-8347-xxxxxxxxxxxx”,
“update_method”:“direct”,
“direct_ip”:“10.0.0.196”
},
{

}

]
}

Looks like your using the wrong double quotes, look at your token line.

I used the validator and the config is “Valid JSON” but I’m still getting the same error.

Removed the update_method and direct_ip lines. Don’t forget to remove the final comma behind “access_token” line.

that section should look like:

“platform”:“SmartThings”,
“name”:“SmartThings”,
“app_url”:“https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com:443/api/smartapps/installations/1”,
“app_id”:“a900796c-b623-4d5a-9e76-xxxxxxxxxxxx”,
“access_token”:“ca1489d5-475c-4e9d-8347-xxxxxxxxxxxx”

Hello.
I have installed homebridge to my synology by Debian Chroot. Now my devices connected to smartthings are controllable from apple home. But can I control device connected to homebridge from ST?
I have Xiaomi Philips Led Ceiling lamp, which doesn’t have zigbee, but only wifi. So I connect it to homebridge by special plugin and now want to control it from ST, if it is possible.

You can create a virtual switch in SmartThings and add it to Homebridge. Then you set up an automation in Homekit that uses the virtual switch as a trigger.

1 Like

Since my upgrade to iOS 11, my shared devices lost the ability for remote access (even though I have Allow Editing/Remote Access enabled). The primary home device “sometimes” works remotely. This is with an Apple TV 4.

Hence, I used my iPad Air as a HomeHub but that too also stopped working with iOS 11.3. So now I don’t have any remote access. I just have the message my hub is not responding and my devices are unavailable when I am away from home.

Same here… I have done some testing but have not put a lot of work into it yet. I have not found out why. I have an Apple TV 3 and 4. It does not work on either.

I had no luck with Apple Support…they were telling me that I need to be connected to Wi-Fi for remote access to work. Seriously have no idea how this stuff works.