[OBSOLETE] Hello, Home HomeKit (and Siri!) control via homebridge

Thank you! I misunderstood and copied some code from npm site for the smartthings plug in. As soon as I removed that and copied over exactly what was in the JSON API config, it worked!

Thanks again for your help. If only it was always that simple. :smile:

No I have not had that problem.

Hello all, I have been having an issue with Siri controlling my lock after updating to iOS 10.2. I opened up GitHub issue on the HomeBridge site but the issues seems to be how the homebridge-smartthings plug in is handling the Siri request. I should not that the HOME app works flawlessly but the issue is Siri commands. The main logs are located at https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/issues/1000

Would anyone know how to modify the code so that either the boolean or the integer value be accepted and actuate the lock?

Ok, hello all. I got some awesome help over at GitHub and was able to modify the code to allow Siri to actuate the locks again via the homebridge-smartthings plugin. Here is the link to the solution:

sub’d… interesting thread, looking forward to installing.

Question:
I see the use of Raspi and OSX for homebridge server
Is there a preference of one if you own both?

1 Like

Hi all

I have a few xiaomi zigbee plugs working fine both on smartthings and actiontiles. (I can switch them on and off)
I also have a raspberry pi running home bridge and the 3 outlets only get temperature in home kit but no chance to switch them on/off. They appear as temperature sensors while on the json api app I have selected them under switch, am I doing something wrong?
BTW I also have belkin wemo plugs and they work fine.
thanks
Fab

Howdy folks,
My homebridge server seems to crap out approximately once a week. A simple restart of the server on my RPi fixes the problem, but that’s really annoying to have to do at all.

Does anyone know of an automated solution for this? I seem to remember something where if the process quits or stops on it’s own, there’s a script that will allow it to restart automatically. Anyone have this set up?

Schedule jobs with cron. In this case, just schedule a reboot command

4 Likes

Thanks @jody.albritton. Just confirming, the idea is that I’d simply restart the pi say once every 6 days?

yeah. You could go a little further and instead of scheduling a reboot, schedule a task that checks your homebridge server. Reboot if it’s down.

1 Like

FWIW, I struggled with this too. Ultimately I discovered that if Schlage Lock reports being jammed it will cause the homebridge to freeze. I removed the lock from the exposed devices in RESP API app, and voila, haven’t had to restart for months since.

1 Like

how did you get node to stay open in a freenas jail? i tried this but forever wasnt compatible with freebsd.

I got an email from SmarThings this morning regarding the Homebridge app. I updated and it broke a few things. I’m going to re-do a lot of my setup to see if I can fix it, but everyone should be aware that they will need to update their Homebridge smartapp.

Here’s an excerpt:

"We recently identified the homebridge-smartthings integration as a cause of significant demand on the SmartThings Cloud Platform. We worked with the homebridge-smartthings development team to implement changes that will reduce the volume and increase the reliability of the integration. In order to ensure the reliability of the SmartThings Cloud platform, we need you to update the SmartApp and Node JS app to version 0.5.1 or greater. Please see the readme: https://github.com/pdlove/homebridge-smartthings#device-updates-from-smartthings for additional information.

Due to the demand on the platform, in two weeks SmartThings will begin quarantining installations of the application that poll faster than once every 30 seconds. If you run into any issues or questions during the update, the homebridge-smartthings team has requested you report them as GitHub issues."

I’ll update my complete installation guide once I get things working.

3 Likes

Huh? @slagle, could you elaborate on this change? Currently, the rate limit is 250 requests in 60 seconds (see the reference below). Does it mean that you’re reducing it to just 2 requests per minute?

Quote:

To protect against this, inbound requests to such SmartApps will be limited to 250 requests in 60 seconds. If the limit is reached, each subsequent HTTP response will have a status code of 429, until the time window starts over. This allows callers to handle these excessive requests as they see fit.

We will only be quarantining the JSON complete API SmartApp. No other rate limits are changing at this time.

The reason we will be quarantining is because the users of this endpoint are generating almost 20% of our daily traffic. So that means 0.3% of the user base is creating 20% of our traffic. That is exorbitant and the reason why we worked with the developer to rework the app to be more efficient.

Also, we will only quarantine if you choose not to update to the new version. If you update to the new version it will work the same (actually better) than the old version.

Thanks for clarifying this. Should we expect similar restrictions affecting other apps that are forced to poll for state changes because SmartThings does not implement a server push API, for example SmartTiles?

So, I think I successfully updated everything to be in compliance with the new Homebridge-SmartThings integration requirements. Here’s what I did:

1. Updated (via github integration) the “JSON Complete API” SmartApp from within the ST IDE. This did not require anything other than performing the update, I believe. I did not change any OAUTH settings whatsoever. I did go into the SmartApp on my phone and clicked “Done” for good measure.

2. Logged on my raspberry pi and issued this command “sudo npm update -g homebridge-smartthings”. After a while it reported that v5.1 was installed.

3. rebooted my raspberry pi (not sure if this is required, but seemed like a good idea.)

Fire up the Apple “Home” app on my iPhone and was able to still control lamps as a quick test.

So, is there anything I missed? Am I now compliant?

Thanks

1 Like

I did the same as you. Does the config.json file need to be changed?

Does this apply to both versions of home ridge? I have the one from post 1 @jnewland installed.

I can tell you the significance in traffic and flows to graph.api.smartthings.com was greatly reduced with the new versions.
I can totally see why they would want this change, and 20% of daily traffic just from it will greatly reduce costs I’m sure.

J