[OBSOLETE] Hello, Home HomeKit (and Siri!) control via homebridge

Hey thanks @pizzinini ! Can you point me to any documentation on how to do this? Total noob with home bridge still.

Well, for some reason the aggressive moderators closed my thread in the other thread that linked to the morass of 18 months of posts here. Since I cannot post my solution there, I’m posting it here. (Good luck to anyone who actually wants to find it here…)

Anyway, I followed these instructions and this smart app worked fine for me:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-smartthings

Interestingly, when I pasted this link into this comment, the board is telling me it was posted on June 8th (338 posts into a thread of 425 posts). I’m sure it is my fault that I missed that post. Anyway, perhaps the moderators can delete this as a duplicate for me.

Sigh.

1 Like

here is some help (Sorry, very little time tonight, will post more tomorrow if needed)

Virtual switch:
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Create_a_Virtual_Device

CoRE:
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=CoRE
or

Smartrules
http://smartrulesapp.com/

Just wanted to thank whoever made the gateway. It’s great to have ease of access from iOS 10 control center.

Anyway my 2 cents is to use docker container over npm install, especially if you have QNAP NAS like I do and the npm won’t compile without a lot of dependencies resolved. Simply use container station which is pre integrated with docker hub. It finds it by searching homebridge-smartthings. It takes 10-15 minutes to get up and running.
Directions are here:
https://hub.docker.com/r/nickartman/homebridge-smartthings/
Note that config.json should be placed in the root of the host mapped directory (one that is mapped to /root/.homebridge) and not inside config directory as noted in the instructions.

Also the original post should be corrected. No Apple developer program is required. I think it just scare people off. Just follow docker instructions above if using continer or the ones in homebridge-smartthings npm page: https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-smartthings

I made a video tutorial of the integration:

1 Like

Thanks for creating that video! The thing stopping me from doing this is the complexity. I’d love to see a version of this installing on a Win 10 machine.

1 Like

Anyone know how to make a device that shows up as one a light bulb with dimming capability instead be classified as a window shade?

has anyone successfully gotten this to run on raspberry pi? If so, any instructions?

YEa I am, and loving it!!

5 Likes

I’ve had it working for months (Raspberry PI 2). After IOS10 upgrade, there was some instability, but I think we are through that now.

1 Like

does this solution work when you are not home? Like do you guys do some kind of VPN?

HomeKit devices work outside of the home only if you have an Apple TV or iPad set up to work as a HomeKit hub.

(Apple TV 3 prompts you to sign into your Apple ID to work as a HomeKit hub upon setup, so no extra steps are needed other than making sure you are signed in under the same Apple ID as the phone used during setup.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057

2 Likes

I thought I’d share because I found this very useful:

About once per week I had problems with the “Home” mode not set and Smart Home Monitor not disarming on time when I reached my house. I use my iPhone as a presence sensor. Opening the garage door would usually cause an alarm. I tried increasing the radius for the presence but more than 1/2 mile does not seam reasonable to me.

Solution: I have created a virtual switch (momentary contact) that sets “Home” mode and turns off the Smart Home Monitor and send me a notification. I also created a Automation in the Apple Home App to turn on the virtual switch when I arrive (with a much narrower radius!).

I have tested this for ~2 weeks now and had no false alarm anymore. I have received the notification a couple of times from that the virtual switch turned off the alarm. The Home App seams to be much better at presence sensing than the SmartThings App. (WAF also increased significantly! :slight_smile: )

does anyone know whether the automation in home kit is done locally or whether its cloud based?

Also, im not sure why, but i had everything working and setup and even invited my wife to my home in apple. However, after coming back from a work trip, my phone said all devices are unreliable and it would not re-connect, my wife phone which never left functioned as normal. I had to completely erase my setup to get it working again. is there a trick for this? Will getting an apple Tv fix all these nuances?

The ATV3/4 gives you remote access while the ATV4 can run automations. Automations are local if the device running them is local. I was using a iPad in the house but it was unreliability so I switched to an ATV4 and, so far, it seems more reliable.

That said, it doesn’t sound like that’s your issue. Try getting your wife’s access sorted out first. Is she using her own iCloud account? Try revoking her access and doing another invite/accept cycle.

Home occasionally wigs out on me but it always clears up with a force-close of the app.

Worst case, you should delete everything (arrow icon in the upper right) and rebuild HK from scratch.

I had docker training a while ago and never used it. Would you be able to help a newb out?

How do I actually get the docker-compose.yml updated inside of the my-docker-directory folder? I can’t seem to get the container into interactive mode to update it. I am running container station on my QNAP NAS.

@Keo I ignored this step because QNAP container station auto-generate the yaml file based on the settings that you set when you create the new container.
If I remember correctly, I copied two settings from yaml file. When you create the container go to advanced settings and select ‘host’ under network mode. Also under shared folder map ‘./config:/root/.homebridge’ to whatever folder you want on your host machine (QNAP). This folder is also where you place the config.json file (ignore the path mentioned in docker hub). The config.json is where you write you API keys and URL as copied from the json smartapp on your phone (the ones from the web API IDE won’t work). I had permission problems writing to this folder from Windows so I ssh into qnap and used vi. ymmv.

On different note - after the container runs for 2-3 days I get the following errors in console:
error at req: connect ETIMEDOUT 52.1.206.127:443
Restart solves it, but the bridge must be removed and re-added on iOS, Anyone experiencing similar issues?

Your tutorial video was a great help and convinced me to finally setup Homebridge on an old Mac that I wasn’t using. It is up and running and works great for scenes that turn multiple lights on/off, and/or dims lights, but I also would like to be able to initiate Automation Routines that are already programmed in SmartThings.

I tried creating virtual switches that could be shared with Homebridge to trigger SmartThings routines, but there isn’t a standard virtual intermittent trigger switch which would trigger the routine and then turn off.

I also found a homebridge SmartThings Routine app, but I can’t seem to get that working with my setup. Has anyone else implemented this recently? Was thinking that maybe recent changes to other apps may have interfered with its functionality.