Helios -> BT Light controller

(Chrisb) #1

Hey all,

Just a new Kickstarter that I saw.  It’s basically like the Spark, except it uses BT instead of Wifi/Zigbee, etc.  $50 for one.

(Cory S) #2

I really like the concept of all these projects… I just can’t see spending 50 dollars per socket, or even bulb. I have 35 bulbs in my house, so that would cost 1,750 dollars. Or…I could buy 10 switches instead for 350 dollars…and IMO switches are more useful being you can still use the switch with out interfering with automation.

(Brianh) #3

I agree with you Cory. I am building a 5,000 sq ft house. I can’t see putting devices like this in every socket. That’s why I think the Z-wave light switches are the way to go.

(Cory S) #4

The only way I can see spending that kind of money on a bulb is with something like LIFX where it adds features a switch alone cannot…like colors, and notifications. But, every industry expert on LED technology seems to agree that what LIFX is promising their backers is flat out impossible with current technology at that price point.

Also, just in case anymore isn’t aware…I am pretty sure Smartthings HUB won’t have support for BT devices in it’s first generation.

(Chrisb) #5

I tend to agree with both of you.  I’m not backing the project myself for that same reason… way too expensive on a per bulb basis.  Most of my lighting situations don’t make this practical.  I have 4 bulb fixture in my den and bathroom.  Three bulb fixture in my kids rooms and dinning room.  The price adds up too fast.

Having said that, there are situations where this might make sense.  I’m thinking of those countries were you have to hire an electrician even to just replace a wall switch.  Or perhaps my living room where I have just table lamps in two different areas of the room.  I’d need different switches or outlets.  Or renters who aren’t allowed to modify wiring but still want to have some automation.

There is a place for things like this or the spark.

(Cory S) #6

Chris, those are all valid reasons there is room for something like this in the market. I didn’t mean to sound over cynical of the idea…I actually think it is a good one once demand and manufacturing gets to a point where the price is a more reasonable 15-20 per socket.