Heatit Thermostat (Z Wave with Under Floor Heating)

My experience to date has been that when I increase the set point and or change between heat and econoheat modes, the central area where temperature is displayed seems to update fairly quickly to that temperature sometimes without the device even turning on! Which I think is what is causing me to question things.

I did have it set to AF but I’ve now switched it to A.

So unless I’m doing something wrong I’ve tried various CoRE configurations and none have worked so far. I understand home automation is personal but thought if I could see what others where using I’d be able to repeat those in my configurations and work from there.

For instance, I have a CoRE setup that does the following :

Piston Mode - Simple

IF (Home is one of [Away, Holiday])
THEN (Using Living Room Underfloor Heating)
Set to Off

Trying this out does not work. I activated the Goodbye routine which changes the mode from Home to Away, checked the thermostat tile area and its events in the Recent tab and nothing. The device was still set to Heat (red tile) and nothing appeared in recent events.

Likewise, I tried changing the THEN to Set Mode - Off ; nothing.

Additionally, i have tried the following :

IF (Living Room Underfloor Heating is less than 19.5)
THEN IF (mode is Home)
SET TO Heat
SET Heating Point to 20.5
Send SMS notification
Send Push notification
ELSE (Using Living Room Underfloor Heating)
Set to Cool
Send Push notification
Send SMS notification

I originally inflated the is less than to 30 as the temperature was already quite high in order to test this.

I got the SMS and Push for the first IF condition but nothing activated.

I know the device works I see my energy monitor shoot up when the UFH kicks in (without CoRE, just using set points)

I’m I doing something wrong here? It should be simple right, I’ve had other CoRE configurations running on other devices.

Ok - there is definitely something funky going on with your set up.

Can you send me the logs for your device for these actions (send to me via PM so as not to clog up the forum):

turning on

setting heat point

toggling mode

Thanks Adan, I’ve PM’d you some logs

Update
14/09/2016 - 0.9.2

A patch to help with some automations that were not firing correctly - all should be well now!

Hello @AdamV, I’ve finally found some time to tinker with this some more and have started using CoRE to manage the thermostats.

I’ve installed your latest device handler, however, I can’t seem to find a way to switch to eco mode. I can use the Set to Auto, Set to Cool, Set to Emergency Heat or Set to Off ready made commands or I can do the same with the “Set thermostat mode” two part command, but the only mention of energy save heat is the command with the little house icon followed by energySaveHeat(…) which has options like boolean, decimal, etc.

Any clues? I was hoping for a simple Set to Eco Heat command. Is there a way to verify the device is actually using the latest device handler?

Thanks,
Chris.

Yep - sorry it’s not more straight forward. I probably can make a few changes to make it easier.

In the meantime this will work:

To set to Eco Mode, select energySaveHeat(…) and leave the parameter field blank

To set the Eco Mode set point, select quickSetecoHeat(…), set the parameter type as number, and then enter the number that corresponds to the set point you want

Hope that helps

Did you replace the code, save, and publish?

Yep, that’s what I did.

Ah ok, leaving the parameter field blank was the missing link for me.

All I’m really doing is making it heat when the mode is Home and it’s between 04:00 and 08:00 in the morning or 16:00 and 23:00 in the evening. Then I’d like it to drop to off during the night and eco during the rest of the day.

Will it default to the set points set by the sliders in the tile, or do I need to specifically set them as part of the CoRE Piston?

Thanks,
Chris.

Will do whatever is on the sliders. Changing the set points through CoRE will also change the sliders

Coolio. I’ve updated my pistons, will leave it running for 24 hours to see what happens.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hello,

I am trying to get the Heatit thermostat set up. This is my first experience with Smartthings so there might be some newby error here and there. Here’s what I have done:

1. Created a new Device Handler for the Heatit and copied @AdamV’s code
  2. Added a new Thing selecting the Heatit thermostat
  3. Put the Heatit in pairing mode. Device distance is about 2m/6ft
  4. The iOs app then confirmed that pairing was successful
  5. The Heatit, however, gives “Err”
  6. There is nothing logged in the List of Events for this device

Anyone knows whether I am missing one or more steps here ?

Many thanks

• one more thing: my iOS app crashes when I try to open Heatit as a Thing

I solved my problems in the meanwhile. Here’s the solution in case anybody can make use of it:

I deleted the device through the IDE webpage. I could not delete the Device Handler because it said the Device was still in use. This didn´t prevent the solution though.

I then excluded the Heatit from the Z-wave network. It never connected in the first place but this seems to reset the thermostat’s Z-wave connections.

In the iOS app, go to “More”, then click Hub, then Z-Wave Utilities, then General Device Exclusion.

Put the Heatit in Z-wave connection mode (Configuration button 10 sec, then 4x arrow down until Con, then press Config button for 2 sec until the moving square appears.

I then did a search for new Things on the iOS app, putting the Heat it in connection mode again, and it found it immediately.

LOL - your only mistake was creating a device in the IDE & mistaking the failed inclusion. What happened for you was:

1. Adding the device handler was correct
  2. Creating the device manually was wrong
  3. When you got the Err result it hadn’t included at all
  4. Then the whole deleting device / excluding device / and re- including was just to undo the above

I’m only writing this here so that someone else down the line doesn’t follow your steps!

anyway - I hope the handler is working well for you - remember to configure in the settings section and to configure the device.

Adam

Hi Adam

Just came across you note re the Heatit which I am thinking of getting. On the Vesternet site it says you need an external temp sensor, which is fine but I was wondering if the sensors such as motion detectors, etc could be used to provided this feedback via the ST system?

Just a thought, but it would allow control over a heating system if each rad then had z wave thermo valves

Well it comes with an external floor sensor.

Regarding internal sensors - this is a matter of much debate. The device does have an internal sensor - however from my understanding depending on the firmware yours ships with it either will or will not use the sensor to inform the heating.

Regarding using other smartthings sensors to trigger this - it is definitely possible and people do this - you’ll have to be smart though about how you set the temperature when a smartthings sensor triggers heating because the device will only heat when it “thinks” the temperature is lower than the current heating set point. This just requires using common sense when making the rule.

Hi all, and Adam, thanks so much for making this handler. This thread says 0.9.2 but the guthub has 0.9.3, is 0.9.3 stable?
I seem to have it working fine but if I use smart things to set it to a specific heating mode then go to.the physical thermostat menu is doesn’t seem to change. Is that right?
Also, it’s not recognised by Amazon Echo through smart things as a thermostat, even after reauthorisation for all devices.

Some answers:

0.9.3 is stable
Unsure what the menu issue is
Smartthings Amazon Alexa integration does the work for thermostats :frowning:
As a work around I have it pick it up as a switch so you can at least turn it on and off. Google Home does work with thermostats if you are interested

Hi Adam - thanks for writing the device handler!
If I understand the specs of these correctly, there are two temperatures being measured, one from the floor sensor and one from the inbuilt room air sensor? If so, is there a way of showing both in the mobile app?
Cheers,
DrPower

That is right - by default. You can also purchase additional auxiliary sensors as it has space for one.

However, the DH can only display the temperature for the sensor that the current mode is using. This is due to the way that the device sends back data.