Heating Control for Newbie

(STEPHEN) #12

Also take a look at this

(Steve B) #13

I think the problem is that I am using a (borrowed) Fibaro FGS 221 relay and I can’t find a device handler which makes the two switches separate. I might just buy myself an FGS 222 or 223.
Regarding the wiring I can probably figure that out, its the technical stuff I struggle with.
Cheers for the help.

(Bob) #14

Only just came across this thread and it looks like you have already decided the route you are going to take, but have you looked at Tado.
Fully programmable through its own app and can be integrated into ST to be controlled that way.
Can also integrate into Google Home fo contol.
Probably too late with this post.

(Steve B) #15

Nothing is decided yet, I’m open to ideas. But as I want to keep it simple, basically replacing the timer and having control via Smartthings, just putting a Fibaro relay in seems like the simplest and cheapest option.

(Steve B) #16

By the way mcdermott.st, can you elaborate on the control you use? I’m not sure what CoRE is. I’m basically after something to work as a timer and incorporate a thermostat. I’ve no hot water to control.

(STEPHEN) #17

See here:

It is essentially just a flexible rules engine, send some s/shots in a separate post about how I use it.

(STEPHEN) #18

(STEPHEN) #19

I should add, I also use action tiles, but that just helps to give you a window as to whether the heating is on and to allow anyone at home to boost the heating

(Bob) #20

Here is a screenshot of a CoRE piston that sets my Tado Thermostat.
You could use something like this to turn on/off the Fibaro relay.
Use a temperature sensor to turn the relay on and off and also set up away modes so that your heating only heats up to, say, 5 degrees. (Frost protection).

(Steve B) #21

All this looks great but I’m struggling getting it set up. I don’t have the Enable GitHub Integration button My SmartApps so I’ve been trying to set up GitHub but it seems complicated. I’ve got myself a bit lost.

(Bob) #22

You don’t need github to download the app.
Go to github and copy the code.
Log on to your ide and go to my smartapps.
Click on new smartapp, zelect from code and paste in the code.
Click on create and then save, publish, for me.

(Steve B) #23

Thank you. Got it now. I just hadn’t found the code and thought I had to do more.

(Bob) #24

When you first access CoRE you go into Marketplace, SmartApps, My Apps the click on CoRE.
Once you have done this, on all subsequent occasions you MUST access it via Automations- SmartApps. If you don’t you will have issues.
EDIT. @Itsmeyouknow If you wish to see the dashboard you must enable OAuth in the settings for the SmartApp.

(Steve B) #25

I spent the evening annoying my wife by turning a light on and off with the temperature sensor in the motion sensor. Thank you @mcdermott.st and @bobbles
Is there any other way to program CoRE other than the Smartthings App?

(Steve B) #26

Action Tiles? Can you explain what these are? I’m learning new stuff every day.

(STEPHEN) #27

Not that I am aware of, but you can view your pistons via a browser

(STEPHEN) #28

ActionTiles allows you to create a dashboard/panel to view and control your devices

It’s currently on limited rollout.

Just FYI, here is my main dashboard, and I used it in conjunction with a CoRE piston and variables to ensure the heating turns off after X mins when manually turned on.

(Bob) #29

I’m afraid CoRE is limited to the Smartthings app.
But all is not lost
WebCoRE is currently being developed and can be accessed via mobile devices or your pc.
It is in its early stages of development but does work.
Search for webcore (se) and you should find the thread.
EDIT. [DEPRECATED THREAD] webCoRE design process

(Stephen Hill) #30

If you can take a picture of the wiring that would be appreciated - I’m thinking of perhaps doing similar. It would certainly help me having to fork out paying for huge numbers of Z Wave TRV’s like the EvoHome system.

This way I’d just set them to a comfortable temperature and use the relays to turn it either on or off based on the outside temperature.

(STEPHEN) #31

np, I’ll do that when I get home tonight.