Harmony Home Control

Create a Momentary Button Tile.

2 Likes

I’m assuming you have the Logitech Harmony Connect SmartApp already setup in ST. You would then launch the My Harmony app select Smartthings and then choose the ST devices you would like your Harmony to to be able to control. Post a screenshot if it still does not work after this.

Thanks! That worked. Now my problem is that I can only hit it once since I’m using an activity vs going directly to the device. Unfortunately, you can really only run 1 button press at a time. For instance, if you would like the volume higher, you can hit the volume up button as many times as you want, but you can’t run the activity more than once. Eh, at least it is working!

Is there any word from Harmony or Smartthings if we will ever get direct Device control?

I think most able-bodied people will just use the handheld remote for volume control. However, I’m quadriparetic, so I really wanted voice control of volume.

You can do this, but it’s a little clunky, and definitely not intuitive.

As you mentioned, you can’t repeat the same harmony activity twice in a row.

So I just have two Harmony activities for volume up, and two harmony activities for volume down.

If I don’t remember which one I did last, and the one I picked doesn’t work, I just do the other one.

As of early October, perhaps with the most recent Alexa app change, suddenly Alexa will not except names of switches that sound like volume controls. This may have something to do with the upcoming kindle fire TV integration.

Anyway, I had to try a lot of variations to get button names that it would accept now.

“Alexa, switch on amplify button”

“Alexa, switch on booster button”

“Alexa, switch on diminish button”

“Alexa, turn on mouse button” ( as in “quiet as a
” I get tired of thinking of names! )

I know, it’s clunky. But it does allow you to have hands-free volume control by switching between the two ups or the two downs.

So I just mention it in case anyone is in a similar situation to me.

Hopefully eventually we will get real volume controls like we have for music on the echo.

1 Like

@JDRoberts, sorry if this was already mentions but this thread is quite long
lol. Do you know if there is any plans to integrate the harmony hub directly with the echo?
I just got my new harmony hub setup with SmartThings and it works great but also directly connecting to Echo would be great.

Haven’t heard of any, but Amazon doesn’t usually preannounce what they’re working on, they just deliver a polished finished product when it’s ready. :sunglasses: so it could be in the works, it would be great if we had natural language granular controls.

1 Like

Yeah that sounds right. I guess with the popularity of the harmony I would expect it to be integrated. There could be so many uses being able to control the hub directly.

I have figured this out thanks a lot everyone.

1 Like

I have to admit
 I haven’t read all 600 posts, but I have a question. Am I the only one who very much wants to like the Harmony product but just can’t understand why they have to make it so difficult?

Why can’t they add an advanced section and just do away with activities? Or better yet let me completely modify activities, not just the parts you want me to edit.

I was so excited the other day to buy a Harmony Home on eBay from Best Buy and be able to pick it up in the store. I’m sad to say this will likely be going back. It’s my 3rd Harmony product and I’m no more happy with this one then I was with previous products.

1 Like

@JDRoberts I’d love to know how it’s possible that this works for you. Because any thing that comes close to higher, volume, louder etc as a device name doesn’t work because alexa changes her volume instead.

Virtual switch, you just have to fool around with the names until you get one that Alexa will accept. I find the group names get processed first. Also I find that saying “switch on” instead of “turn on” sometimes seems to kick it into the connected devices parsing faster.

The stuff is quirky, and obviously depends on what your other names are as well. I still can’t get “activate” to work, even though a lot of people say it works for them.

I have one switch I finally ended up calling “tango” because I got tired of trying to find a name that echo would recognize. :flushed:

1 Like

The Home Hub Extender has finally been officially announced for release.

Ah I was hoping they would announce it with HomeKit (since it has been delayed). Was wondering if logitech would make the first HomeKit hub that would add zigbee and zwave to the apple ecosystem.

I think most people know this, but there are some people new to the system who may not so I just want to be clear: Zwave devices and zigbee devices can only have one primary controller. No matter what system they’re on.

Because of that, most people who have their devices already attached to SmartThings will not find a use for the Harmony extender until we find out more about whether it can work as a secondary controller. (The SmartThings hub can work as a secondary Z wave controller in some circumstances, but not as a secondary zigbee controller, and you lose a lot of functionality if you do set it up that way). Or whether it adds any options to the current official SmartThings/harmony integration.

So while it’s not impossible that someday this device might add some additional functionality to a SmartThings set up, for right now, it’s not going to work with the devices that you have already assigned to SmartThings.

Again, most people here probably already know that, but I just wanted to be clear.

1 Like

Philips new Hue Bridge gets that honor, although only for ZLL. :wink:

Couldn’t we use it as a secondary controller and gain access to Lutron Casetta? This would be a huge deal for many.

Are you saying set up the Harmony hub extender as a secondary Z wave controller to a smartthings network and somehow get to Lutron Caseta that way? no, that that can’t work. The extender won’t have anything to do with Lutron connection. Lutron uses its own proprietary protocol.

If you have a Lutron SmartBridge, harmony can communicate with it. Smartthings cannot. If you put the lutron devices into harmony activities, Smartthings can already trigger those, the hub extender doesn’t add anything to those capabilities as far as Lutron goes. There are already community members who use this to control their caseta devices.

Caseta also has an IFTTT channel you can use for indirect integration with smartthings. No harmony required.

http://blog.ifttt.com/post/110557197273/introducing-the-lutron-caséta-wireless-channel

The indirect integration, either through a Harmony activity or through IFTTT works just fine. The only problem is it adds an additional lag. This is usually fine for window coverings or for turning lights off. But most people expect lights to come on instantly. Any lag is often unacceptable.

Okay, that’s still good news. I hadn’t realized the Harmony could already speak to Lutron via their bridge. I was thinking the extender added that. Good to know.

1 Like

:edit:

I originally posted that I had issues with smartthings detecting my hub with new beta firmware.

Apparently, the issue was actually because it wasn’t able to detect all 3 hubs that were attached to my account. I had recently replaced a hub, but never removed it from the account.

So, lesson learned here is that if you want ST to detect harmony hubs, you must have all hubs on the account turned on, or remove the hubs from your account that are not turned on.

1 Like