Harmony Home Control

Logitech currently has the Smart Control (not Home Control, but upgradable to Home Control sometime soon-ish) available refurb for $100. For $100 you get apps for IOS and Android, a built-in IR blaster, support for 2 more IR blasters (all 3 being individually addressable), and a nice hand-held remote. It’s not a bad deal for what you get, just don’t expect it to replace SmartThings.

Agreed, as well as your other points. Reality is Harmony needs to cope with the legacy systems and often times this is the lowest common denominator. As home automation enthusiasts, we want to do much more than media solutions provide today. I would like picture in a picture when there is motion at the front door, for example. Best solutions today are way too slow at best.

I really miss the “Help” or “Fix” button on my original Harmony remotes. With discrete codes this made the remote completely idiot proof. If you failed to get the system started just press “Fix” and it sent the correct discreet codes again. You can’t go wrong. Then if that didn’t work it asked you questions but ONLY for the systems it new did not have discreet codes. So if only your TV lacked discreet it would say “Is your TV on” if you said no it would send the on signal.

That was what made HARMONY such an amazing remote back when it was an independent company. I can’t fathom why Logitech remove this feature.

The Harmony Ultimate Home still has the features “Fix” as well as “Is TV on”…“Is DVR on” blah…blah… Is this the feature you are talking about?

That capability still exists, it just doesn’t have a hard button for it anymore. On the ultimate it’s accessible from the menu on the remote, and it’s also available in the mobile app.

Not as easy, but hopefully if you’re running blasters to everything you’ll rarely need it.

@luma Yeap… My old Harmony One has it. Got it…

It’s useless if not on the remote and with a screen to ask questions. Again looking for idiot proof here. Anyone willing to open the app and find this feature is likely to not need it.

I have no issues. When I turn things on and one fails I know exactly what series of buttons to press to fix it. More often then not it is turn it all off and try again. But sometimes things get out of sync and I refuse to go get my phone to fix it. Easier to just get up off my bottom and press the button on the TV :smile:

Add to this the fact that HDMI is sending signals and I really have issues sometimes. PS3 and PS4 are the hardest to get right. The PS3 when turned off will sometimes notice the TV turned off (hdmi) and shut down. Then the harmony tries to send bluetooth signals to shut it down but that just turns it back on because the ps3 detects the bluetooth signal and decides to wake up. Now the harmony thinks it is off and you can’t easily send the off signal from the remote to fix it.

Another issue I have is my TV is too smart. If you turn on HDMI 3 and it doesn’t see a signal it decide to look for signals on the other HDMI inputs and switches to any that are active. So timing is critical. I have to turn on my PS4 manually BEFORE I turn on the system or the signal will not be there and the system will decide to switch to the TV signal. But now Harmony things the TV is on HDMI 3 so it doesn’t send that signal again if I try to correct.

I can fix these but thinking before I press buttons but when I forget even I throw my system off at times and wish I had the fix button.

One positive change. I LOVE that the hub is pointed toward my equipment so I NEVER get the issue I used to with the old remote that I didn’t point the remote at the system long enough. In fact I forget all the time that the remote is RF and the IR is coming from the hub. I often point the remote at the system waiting for everything to start then realize how silly that was.

I am 85% happy with my Harmony Hub, 90% when I get ST integration that works. Ability to control commands and not just “activities” from ST would be 95%. 100% comes when they add the mind reading capability :smile:

3 Likes

100% comes when it does what you intend not just what you think.

2 Likes

@April another beta tester here! Wife’s killing me! Please add me to the bunch! Thanks!

you can add me to the list too if you still need testers :wink:

Hey All,

We’ll be sending out a form (likely next week) for those interested in being beta’s on the new Harmony Hub using c2c. No need to tag @April.

8 Likes

The Harmony May beta has gone live. I’ve just installed the firmware on my (non-home) Ultimate hub. The install took a few tries, but it does now work with SmartThings in the same way my Harmony Smart Home Control remote does.

1 Like

@april please also include me in beta.

So we need to sign up at Logitch for the Beta ?
I am confused because we were all telling April we wanted to join but if this is Hub Firmware don’t we need to sign up here ? https://support.myharmony.com/en/form.htm?id=f-beta-234

@luma you’re running the older version of the integration that works if you’re on the older firmware version of the hub. If you update the firmware on that harmony hub and refresh the integration, it’ll likely break, thus us moving to the cloud-to-cloud method. However, this integration has always been meant for the Harmony Home Lineup - it just so happens to work for a few legacy harmony home hubs.

@Ron The Beta you see on Harmony website is completely separate from SmartThings. This will not get you the new integration.

There’s no need to tag @April requesting beta. As stated before, we will be sending a form for users to sign up for the beta. Tagging her won’t speed the process. It’ll likely slow her down cause she needs to filter these out of her inbox :slight_smile:

I know there’s going to be a bunch of people that won’t read this post, and will tag her anyways - just know that it won’t speed things up.

Thanks for the clarification. That was what I originally thought.

Perhaps you could help her by locking down this thread and starting a new one which starts off with the fact that this form will be sent out ?
You sort of started it by saying she was putting together a list of people who what access to the beta :smile:

I think it was also a little confusing to say she would be sending a form to users. Many might assume this will only be sent if you ask. Are you saying this form will be sent to “All” users ? Or will it be just those who have posted to this thread ?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your interest in this : Attached is a form I’d need you to fill out if you were interested in integrating ST/Harmony through Cloud to Cloud. Please fill this out as accurately as you can, for us to get a better understanding.

https://smartthings.wufoo.com/forms/q8918lz1072mc6/

@skier @Ron @baldeagle072 @huydnguyen @brooksbalogh @beckwith @triggertact @infofiend @kevintierney @swamplynx …and anyone else that is interested.

Thanks all! Cheers!

3 Likes

@danielccm @erickanas @rob_gore also. see post above.

1 Like

It has never worked before. The Harmony May beta just went live last night, and the changelist included adding home control to non-home devices. After installing the new beta firmware 4.5.46 my Ultimate can now send commands to ST. It was able to talk to Hue previously, but the ST device was never an option before installing this latest code. I have not tried ST > Harmony (as I assume it to be broken and it’s not really a use case for me), but I can tell you for 100% sure that the beta added the ability for me to do Harmony > ST.

The Home Control remotes have been able to do this, but the non-home Hub devices have not until this latest release. If people are interested in joining the Harmony beta (nothing to do w/ SmartThings!) you can sign up here: https://support.myharmony.com/en/form.htm?id=f-beta-234

1 Like

Form filled! Thanks!!!