Hardwired sensors

Todd, Have you worked on this and produced something ? I am really interested to know more!

Do you have a honeywell lynx? im looking forward to buying one but want to know if it can be integrated with SmartThings

No, I have DSC PowerSeries. It can be integrated with ST using Envisalink3 Ethernet adapter and a third-party Alarm Server software, but the integration is far from straightforward.

I have been using it for last few months and it’s been rock solid. I use mac to run alarm server.

I wish it could be ported to docker so that I can run it on my Synology.

I have ordered 3 of the Ecolink Door/Window sensors from here, and they are currently on sale for around 25 dollars a piece.

They are Z-wave and on the ‘approved’ list of things that play nicely with ST hubs. They ALSO have a header
inside the unit where you can use hardwired reed switches found on wired home alarm systems. You can create different ‘zones’ such as multiple windows, and seperate door zones etc. if you like. You can use any of the prewired reed switches already hidden in your door and window frames (during home construction typically)

This setup is easier for a ‘dead’ alarm system, or one that is not completely setup from the original installer. Mine is a Honeywell/Brinks system.
This video shows the connector headers that I am speaking of.

Hope this helps guys!

Are you all still looking into something to replace existing alarm panels? A panel that would go into existing traditional boxesthat does sensors and smoke/co2 would be incredible.

I don’t think so. “That guy” you’re replying to has left SmartThings for Google’s Nest like a year ago. :wink:

Can you share a little more detail on how you did this? Where would I order the octocoupler? And what did you do if anything about reusing the siren? I only have 5 zones to move over from a still functioning obsolete alarm panel but I would like to use the siren as it is already mounted outside and tamper monitored as well. I multi I/O device would be solution but it seems using EcoLink door/window sensors will have to suffice.

Did this question ever get answered?
I’m interested in connecting my windows into ST using their magnetic sensors.
Thanks.
MBR

There are many threads on this topic and yes it can definitely be done. See this particular thread about leveraging an Arduino to integrate with SmartThings:

If you have a working DCS or Ademco alarm panel you can also integrate those with SmartThings. Monitoring service from the alarm company is not required.

1 Like

I think everyone is saying that if you tried to wire a Z-wave open/close sensor into an existing wired door/window sensor that is connected to an alarm panel, you will fry the battery operated z-wave sensor. (Whew, sorry for the long sentence)

Is this correct?

Can I disconnect the wired sensors from the alarm panel and then wire them directly into a z-wave open/close sensor (ecolink)?

Too expensive to put a sensor on each window, too many.

ok, new sensors arriving today. The plan is to disconnect zones from alarm panel and connect to open/close sensor (z-wave)

fingers crossed

Can the z-wave sensors be wired to unpowered reed switches and then both switches into the input side of the alarm?

Ok, experiments completed.

Multimeter showed more voltage on zwave sensor than on alarm input side, safe for sensor.

Direct input of wired sensor to zwave sensor worked perfectly. However connecting to alarm input kept circuit closed at all times.

Using wired inputs is a win for keeping a clean look and minimizing the number of zwave sensors needed.

But like everyone says here, you need an interface like envisalink or others to completely smartthingsify your hard wired alarm.

Good lesson.

http://kendrickcoleman.com/index.php/Tech-Blog/total-noob-guide-to-move-your-old-wired-security-system-to-smartthings.html for more reading :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link. Good stuff!

linky no worky (or is it just me?)

It was working, but I agree its not working now

1 Like

Using Google cache:

what security system do you have?

I have all mine hooked in but it’s based on hardware/software from: http://www.alarmdecoder.com/