Hardwired Alarm Sensors & Arduino

@mweston It seems like you got the hard wiring of contact sensor to work for individual zone. In my case, I have 2 doors hooked to Zone1, the third door hooked to Zone 2, all downstairs windows hooked to Zone 3 and all upstairs windows hooked to Zone 4. What I want to do it combine Zone 1 and 2 , and combine Zones 3 and 4. So use just two of the z-wave contact sensors , where one detects any door opening and the other detects any window opening.

How do you think I can connect 2 zones to a single zwave door/contact? Do you think its even possible? I dont want to spend $30 for each zone.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Ash

1 Like

You should be able to. Iā€™m not sure what alarm panel you have but mine sounds very similar. I thought I had wired mine to work for only one zone but it is actually working on 2 zones and only 1 contact sensor. So Smartthings reports as open if I open any door or window on my Zoneā€™s 2 or 3.

Iā€™ll have to go look to tell you exactly how it is wired but I believe what I did was wired the + wire to the zone 2 positive terminal and the - wire to zone 3 negative terminal.

You could probably figure it out by trying a few different wiring configurations and opening a door or window to see what goes off. Iā€™ll see if I can take another photo for you. I also plan on switching out the contact sensor for an Arduino to isolate the zones individually and it will probably be ab it cheaper than buying a bunch of contact sensors.

Thanks! I am waiting for my contact sensor to arrive, after which I am going to get my hands dirty on this. I have DSC panel and I am working on a simple circuit that will accept multiple zones as input and if any one zone is active the relay at the output will be activated. I will connect the NC of the relay to the zwave sensor. So that way if I trip any zone then I will be able to trigger the contact sensor. It will also make sure that I am isolating the alarm panel and the rigged set up completely. Also planning to have a on board power supply to the contact sensorā€¦so that way I wont need batteries. Let me see how it goes, will update if I have anything good.

If you could send me the pic of your set up that will be helpful. Thanks once again.

@mweston any chance you could post a picture of your setup? Iā€™m having a hell of a time getting mine working. I must be missing something silly.

Thank you!

OK, So I have finally made a circuit that successfully integrates my existing DSC panel zones with an external zwave door/window contact. The good thing is that I do not need to have an individual door contact sensor for each door or window. With this circuit I am able to trigger the door contact sensor when any of my doors are opened/closed (and really that is all I need, I dont really need to know which exact door was opened, especially when used with a smart app such as SmarAlarm)ā€¦And I have a second door sensor hooked to trigger, when any window in my home is opened. I also tested the circuit with the zone which have motion sensorsā€¦and guess whatā€¦It works there tooā€¦so i can use my existing motion sensors as wellā€¦may need to expand the circuit to a 3rd door/contact sensor which will support motion sensors (may be later). I chose the cheaper door window sensors (Everspring - $30), because all I needed was a door contact sensor that reports status and is compatible with ST.
Posting some pics of my PCB (home made), circuit board and the interface
So for $60, some components and circuit design skills, I was able to use all my existing hardwired sensors.
The circuit is powered using the Aux ports of the DSC panel - Designed to draw the rated current and also has onboard 4.5V supply which powers the zigbee door contact sensor (no need to have batteries)

1 Like

As the hardware zone loop is powered by a constant voltage level delivered by the burglary
control unit or a zone expander, it is very easy build and to apply a devices that can read and remember the voltage level in the zone loop, and later, on a request, feed it back to the zone loop. I did project ā€œArduino Uno project burglar zone input testerā€ and can be found on http://cjjconsultant.my-free.website/Articles
CJ