Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

Great solution. The included antenna is terrible!

This looks to be just what i need. Despite repeaters in-and-around this, the fan still loses contact pretty frequently. Thanks @rgrandy for the idea!

I hate to be that guy who is too lazy to do his own homework and asks the community to do it for him, but
 my fans are way high and tough to reach. I don’t remember an antenna connector. I just recall a small wire dangling out of the controller. Is there a male u.fl connector up there?

I’d assume it to be a pcb mount connector. You’ll need to open up the casing on the controller.

FWIW I tried a better antenna because I was having connection issues, but it didn’t really help much. I learned that the fan blades spinning interferes with the zigbee signal, and it kept dropping off when the fan was running. Ended up putting a Tradfri plug on top of a bookshelf, which results in a repeater with line of sight to the antenna over the fan blades.

I don’t have a decent way to get a repeater above the fan blades. And it’s aggravated by the fact that my blades are metal. But, my observation is that the signal loss is no more likely when the fan is running than when not.

is there a room above the fan ? you could place the zigbee repeater there and hope the signal makes it through the floor or try a connecting wall in the adjacent room for the repeater

1 Like

Yeah inside the case there is a u.fl connector. Just pop the old one off and the new one on. Still from the day I put the new antenna on to today I have had solid connection and no dropping. Which is way different than with what I had before. Although I did damage and attempt to fix the old antenna so I may have a better experience than some with this change. Also I don’t have metal fan blades. I also need to find a good way to hide the new larger antenna.

@marktheknife where are you buying the in wall remotes? It looks like one Home Depot sells also comes with a transmitter module which I obviously don’t need at this point. Is there anywhere you can buy just the in wall module?

The in wall remote is RF only, but does control the wink enabled controller. The bundled receiver with the remote can just be thrown out. You can’t buy just the in wall remote at retail, but you may be able to get it from King of Fans. However, the price is probably cheaper as a kit.

Please forgive me if I haven’t caught the answer in this thread, it is after all as I write this 829 posts long, and odds are I missed it

As I understand it, the controller, Universal Wink Enabled White Ceiling Fan Premier Remote Control, is Zigbee enabled with no special extensions to the protocol. And is directly Wink compatible. This is where I get fuzzy.

I am VERY new to Smartthings, having just set up my ADT Smartthings Hub and sensors this past weekend.

My ST implementation thus far does not include any not directly compatible devices, so no special device handlers etc

My question is, is this fan / light controller directly compatible with Smartthings, most specifically ADT Smartthings, and if not, and I have to go with a custom device handler, can someone be kind enough to point me at an idiot proof method to get the software working?

This device seems like such an obvious solution to a common perplexing issue with home automation. Most ceiling fans that I have seen have only a single wall switch, and associated wiring, and the control of the fan / light itself is handled by pull chains at the fan itself. I’d rather have ST read the temp from my various room sensors, and if the fan isn’t running per se, at a given temp, turn the fan on low, then a few deg higher medium, and yet again a few deg higher high before kicking on the AC itself. Likewise, with Alexa or Google Home integration, to issue the verbal command to turn on and off the light, or on and off the fan at XYZ speed would be perfect

So thanks in advance for any help I can get . Sorry I don’t know enough to know what to search for exactly

It will require the installation of custom device handlers. Log in at https://graph.api.smartthings.com/, and select the default device location. If you can see your hub and devices there, you shouldn’t have a problem.

Dead link. No DNS entry for it

Should be https://graph.api.smartthings.com/

The IDE link should be https://account.smartthings.com/ to be the most compatible globally, and for all ST account types. :wink:

@BigHoss - You may want to read through this FAQ

2 Likes

Apologies!

Is this still the best device to control both a fan’s light and motor with smartthings?

This is still the ONLY device to do such if limited by wiring. If you have proper wiring in place to independently operate the fan and light from separate switches, that is by far the best option.

Nice!

First, the fan is a nice one! (I’m kind of a fan – yeah, pun intended :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: – of brass).

Second, though I am sure you probably thought of it and didn’t want to create more work, you could probably move the switch down in to the hanging finial, probably as something that twists (twist it clock-wise and the fan spins clock-wise, twist it counter-clock-wise and the fan spins counter-clock-wise) to hide it. I don’t know how high up the fan is, but combine that with a contraption like those long poles used to open ceiling windows or the long contraptions to unscrew light bulbs high up, and you’ll probably have a home run! (Feel free to take credit for it if you go that route when you tell your wife, and apologies if I just made you obsolete after this project. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Anyway, nice work!

I got it, started working with custom code yesteray actually

Do you happen to know where exactly the DTH code is located?

I am planning on ordering one next pay period and trying it out. If it goes well, I will continue going through my ceiling fans.

I do have one that is different. The speed control is a rotary knob, I am not sure if I can use this controller for that fan. I am not anti fan swap though

See the first post here: