Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

They flashed the hub. - edited the above responce to clairify.

I have removed and re installed all 3 DH and all associated instances in St and Alexa. I have re installed and re discovered everything. The pic is what I’m currently running. I continue to have issues with voice commands through Alexa where when I say “turn on bedroom Fan high” it only turns the fan on low. None of the fan speed voice commands are working. The remote and ST app buttons work fine. I just cannot fix the voice controls. Please help

Have you exposed the child devices to Alexa?

I’m not sure I have. What do you mean and how would I do that. I have installed the main controller DH and both children lights and fan and iv asked Mrs Alexa to discover devices. She finds 7 of them so yes I believe so. But Alexa cannot differentiate between the speeds anymore. Used to work just fine bit now she just turns the fan on the speed it was last selected from the app or remote and will not do as I request

Try removing the “Bedroom Fan” Parent device from Alexa and just leave the child devices.

Or, at least name the child devices something less similar to the parent’s name. I think Alexa is getting the similar names confused.

I’ll be damned, it worked. I removed “Bedroom Fan” and she’s responding to her children now. Thank you very much! I wasted my entire morning trying to figure this out, and never thought of trying that.

1 Like

I’ve currently got 5 of these paired to Wink. I’m switching over to Smartthings. Does anyone know if these get reset upon removal from a network such that I can power cycle them once to get them in pairing mode? I don’t have them on a wall switch
 so if I have to manually reset them, I have to do it at the breaker box (ugh).

I’m pretty sure you’ll need to power cycle to reset
good luck.

I removed the parent “Bedroom Fan” from Alexa’s smart home devices, and it worked for almost a day, then Alexa rediscovered the parent “Bedroom Fan” and she stopped recognizing fan speeds again. I was going to re delete the parent from Alexa’s smart home devices and when I went into the “Bedroom Fan” it had a slider to enable/disable so I disabled it and it’s back to working and recognizing fan speeds. If it fails again I’ll update, but at this point I think it’s fixed

1 Like

Try removing the master device from the ST alexa Smartapp device list so Alexa does not know about it any more and then perform a device discovery

You can also allow Alexa to discover the parent, then disable it in Alexa.

1 Like

Well the disable option for the parent in Alexa smart home devices doesn’t work. She says for any of the child commands that the “Bedroom Fan is disabled and to re enable it.” I can’t figure this dang thing out.

What does happen, is she acknowledges the command ie “turn on bedroom fan high” and I see the switch change in the smartthings app to reflect the command, but it’s not sending it to the device. This is true for both my kitchen and bedroom fans.

Any other suggestions?

Remove the parent device from the Alexa SmartApp within the ST Mobile App on your phone. Then have Alexa Discover devices again. Finally, browse to alexa.amazon.com, sign into your amazon account, and the remove the ‘offline’ parent device.

I tried that just now and nothing worked and Alexa wouldn’t discover devices. I ended up having to disable and re enable the smartthings skill in the alexa app and re authorize control to get it to discover the devices. I’m back to square 1 and it still ain’t working. I’m thinking it’s a coding issue at this point because the apps won’t recognize anything without the parent being enabled. I’ve even tried to rename just the parent and it automatically renames the children. There needs to be something else that allows more options either in the coding or the apps.

Very happy to report I have no had to reset any fan yet (2/5). Unpaired from Wink. Power cycle once at the breaker to put them back in pairing mode. Smartthings has found them pretty quickly.

1 Like

Have you tried renaming the parent fan device in SmartThings so that it is completely different than the children? I was going to go back and look in the thread to see if you tried this but feel really lazy this morning.

You can’t rename the individual child devices after discovery but it looks like you should be able to rename the parent.

I can’t test if this will work for you as I use Google Home instead of Amazon Alexa.

How do you have the Alexa Smart App configured within SmartThings? Make sure you have it configured to select individual devices, not all. Then simply pick the devices that Alexa truly needs to be able to control, and deselect the rest (including the Parent Fan Device!). Afterwards, tell Alexa to Discover Devices. It is not going to discover anything new, since you actually reduced the number of things available for discovery. However, it will then realize that some devices are no longer available. Go to alexa.amazon.com in a web browser on your PC, log in, and look at the list of devices that Alexa knows about. You should see some, including the Parent Fan Device, that it is complaining about being unavailable. Tell Alexa to remove/delete these devices. Afterwards, you can try to have Alexa Discover Devices, but she will not find those that you deselected earlier within the Alexa SmartApp within the SmartThings mobile phone app.

If you do not allow Alexa to discover the Parent Fan Device, she won’t
 and therefore the naming conflict will be gone.

Thanks I’ll try that again tonight. When I tried that yesterday, and then asked Alexa to turn on one of the children, she kept saying I couldn’t find the child ie “I couldn’t find Bedroom Fan High.” I’ll keep you posted and thank you for continuing to help me.

Do we know if these are supposed to work as repeaters? I know their range is terrible and don’t need/want them to, but I was just curious. AFAIK anything that’s plugged in or otherwise hard-wired is generally also a repeater.

That is the case for Z-Wave devices. Not sure about Zigbee.