Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

I was able to purchase the receiver and the wall remote for my fan and I was able to configure it with the hub (Thank you @dalec). but ran into a range problem and not thinking did not remove the fan profile properly. Now I’m trying to do a factory reset on the receiver and am having problems. Instruction says to turn off fan for 3 seconds and turn back on for 3 seconds (Repeat steps 5 times). I have done this multiple times and even used a stop watch, but I can not get the fan to reset. I see on the forums that a few of you have done this, is there a secret to the process. Do I have to wait a period of time after I completed the steps to see the lights blink? or should it happen quickly. Does this not work with the wall remote? Any help or tricks would be appreciated. Thank you

Reset requires the use of a physical switch. If you don’t have a switch on the wall for the fan, you will need to flip the breaker to reset the fan.

@BatraD. I had assume that was an option after numerous attempts with the remote so I added a physical on/off switch. But that wasn’t working either. Just to confirm the instruction, it’s a total of 5 times not once the 5 more times? Also, is it immediate that the lights flash or do I have to wait some time? Also, how precise do the seconds have to be? Sorry for all the questions, the instructions make it sound simple, but doesn’t seem to be for me. Thanks in advance for the help.

@Tom it should flash immediately. Try turning the light brightness all the way before the reset procedure

Good luck

I’ve successfully reset mine a few times and it was never the same each time. Once it worked using “on/off every 3 seconds”…another time I had to do it it every 1 second. Another time, I tried the combination at least 10 times and the lights never flashed so I just clicked on the “+” to add a new thing…the lights flashed and it found my fan immediately. Good luck!

@BatraD, @stephack. I thank you both for your quick replies. I will try it again tonight. At least I know others have found it challenging but the results should be immediate and it’s best to use a switch and not the remote.

Has anyone else dealt with the flat mount? This is @dalec 's pic. I tried to ask him but it looks like he is not around since June.

f332586d209cd148384b3367dbf246ab6a9bb5df_1_333x250

My problem is the receiver has to be installed below the mount, but then the zigbee wire is too short to thread up and out the side using the rubber provided. I was hoping someone else has dealt with this - otherwise the only option I see is to drill a hole in the side of the canopy.

Anyone have ideas?

I believe @dalec posted what he did somewhere in the forum…i forget where. He may have bent or etched out a small section of the cowl.

I thought he had also. I reviewed the multiple fan threads I could find and didn’t find it though. :pensive:

is this the post you are looking for ?

1 Like

Start reading at post 248 in this thread…there is some potentially helpful information about grommets. I can’t remember if Dale posted in the forum or mentioned exactly what he did on a conference call we had. In any case the discussion above might point you in the right direction. Good Luck.

1 Like

@dalec I took your advice and ordered 7 of the controllers. I’m planning to install them in the next few days. The main question I have is what are you using for a wall switch to control your fans? I currently have Lutron Casetta on/off switches on my fans. Some of the fans have separate Lutron Casseta Dimmer switches for the lights. For some of the fans with only 1 switch I’ve installed Hue lights with a Lutron Connected Bulb Remote installed on the wall as a switch.

As you can see above, I really like having switches - mostly for my wife and kids and guests to use. I’d love to find a Zwave compatible switch that can be programmed to connect wirelessly and installed in place of the old physical switch. So far I’ve found nothing. I’m halfway tempted to keep the lights wired to the dimmer or Hue bulbs and only use the module for controlling the fan speeds. What do you use? Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for blazing the trail with this new Zwave fan module!

Edit: I ordered the modules via phone directly from King of Fans.

The theory here is to use a wireless switch, not a Z-wave or wired switch. Seems odd but keep in mind that the remote you hold in your hand is a wireless remote and so the one in the wall is just the same only mounted permanently. The only difference is that often the wall mount version is powered by the circuit as opposed to a battery but that’s not required. At any rate, you would end up with Z-wave direct to the controller in the fan and wireless between the handheld and wall mount remote. In most cases you’re buying the controller twice (one with Z-wave, one without) because there isn’t a bundle that has handheld, wall, and controller all in one but you could probably order the wall control as a replacement part though my guess is that the savings is negligible.

The only question is really about compatibility on the wireless interface. The easiest thing is to get the same brand but there are plenty of universal ones. The only oddity that I am hoping gets sorted out is if you have the same amount of control from the wall and from the handheld. The HD Hampton Bay ones come with either a three or four speed option and with and without the breeze option. If you can live with that then it’s fine but I am hoping that we’ll be able to find a 4-speed wall mount to go with the handheld.

Here is what other users have been talking about in the thread:

-Warren

BTW, has anyone received and installed the HD Hampton Bay kit that was briefly available? Any feedback on if it is anything different/better than the KoF parts?

@LLwarrenP Thank you for the advice. Would I need to install the additional module or would this controller work with the Wink enabled module? Thank you for the clarification.

So the “wireless” remotes are actually pretty dumb. They just communicate on set frequencies and so in essence what you end up with is two remotes talking to the same receiver and there isn’t any registration per se. If you have a fan with a wireless remote now it is the same thing…I recall fooling with my neighbor when I discovered that our fans were on the same frequency, hah! Anyhow, in this case you would use the Z-wave enabled receiver and just sell/discard/save for back-up the “wireless only” one that comes with the wall control. Most of these units are somewhat universal but as I mentioned previously, you would just keep to the same brand for the best compatibility on the buttons.

So I installed the first one. Before I could even attempt to pair it, I’ve discovered that it makes a loud humming sound on Speed 4. The pull chain is set to the highest setting. I’m assuming this setting is not compatible with my fan.

As a note to everyone. The Hampton Bay ZigBee fan receiver and remote are back in stock.

4 Likes

thanks for posting!

Nice! I installed my second one this weekend. Works like a champ. These things are great.