Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

Thank you so much for finding that. :+1: :+1: I’m in Israel, Can you please check if they sell the same product that can also support 220VAC ?

They stopped making this product altogether.

They have replaced this product with the Bond app version. The newer receiver only works in conjunction with the remote and can not be put into pairing mode without the remote!! There aren’t any device handlers or other such tedious installation steps with the new smart remote and receiver combo.

It is important to note that the remotes are not interchangeable between the two units.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-Smart-Wi-Fi-4-Speed-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-Works-with-Google-Assistant-SmartThings-and-Alexa-99434/311264804

1 Like

I am having some issues that I am hoping someone can shed some light on. Two days ago my bedroom unit stopped responding to voice command and it has stopped responding to all app commands as well. Today my living room unit is how exhibiting the exact same trouble. I can’t get either unit to go into pairing mode. In fact I got the living room to go into pairing mode and then a few minutes later it stopped responding to everything.

The smart things app prompted me to download an update and I am wondering if that could be the culprit of this issue??

As far as my device handlers and so forth… I will be digging into those to compare and contrast and possible revert back to an earlier script. My dashboard events indicate no error codes or that anything is wrong with the devices.

Again I can’t get the devices to go into pairing mode and therefore I am terrified about deleting them and trying to reinstall if they can’t even go into pairing mode to begin with. Any suggestions?

I checked and my device handlers updated with some minor updates but I don’t see how they could have such a negative far reaching impact as is happening… any other ideas for me?

If it stopped working after applying a code update you can try and role back to the older version at the link below. I haven’t updated and am still on this version and the fan is working fine.

1 Like

So I checked out the link and it looks exactly the same as my current update. So yes I dug a little deeper and the first update was made two days ago exactly when the bedroom unit stopped working and then the second one happen today after the second update.

The version I posted is from September. It looks almost identical to the current one but there are still some minor code changes buried in the code.

Not sure if it will work but if that’s what changed right when the stopped working rolling back might be worth a try. Just copy all the code and paste right over the existing device handler in the IDE and save and publish.

Also, try to toggle the preferences to use fan as dimmer. Sometimes not setting that causes a null value error in the code.

Here is a screen shot of the firmware and controller version I am running.
Yes I a, using the 28 day old handler updated version so I don’t have anything to roll back to aside from going in an making the changes by hand … which is worth a try. I will probably give this a try tomorrow.

Ok so I went in and created new device handlers but no success. I still can’t get either light to enter into pairing mode or communicate with any app.

Did you have a power outage? My lights kept flickering and that screwed my fan up and unpaired it.

They probably need to be paired again, and they’re fussy about pairing. Try a factory reset, which also puts them on pairing mode. Turn off your fan for 3 seconds, then turn it back on for 3 seconds. Repeat these steps 5 times. The light will blink 3 times when factory reset is successful. The three seconds are long, like one one thousand. See this post for someone with a similar issue [BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

One other thing, make sure you have zigbee secure mode off. These devices regularly leave and rejoin the network, and if secure mode is enabled they will be blocked from coming back on

Oh how I wish my issue were as simple as performing the factory reset. So device pairing= “Factory reset”.So I can’t for the life of me get the device to go into pairing mode. If this was an isolated event only occurring in one of my two devices then I would get a warranty replacement and move on but this issue seems to be much larger as it is affecting both of my units in the same way.

Neither unit will communicate with any smart apps but they show up as “active” and the apps act as though nothing is wrong but the lights and fans are 100% unresponsive. I am still able to control them via the remotes but this may be the death of smart things hub for me! I may just scrap these units and upgrade to the newer Hampton Bay smart WiFi bond units.

I already know that the Smartthings customer service can’t help and I know that Hampton bay will want to send me replacement units but
I am hesitant because I am pretty sure this issue will only happen to the next two units.

I went in and made changes as you had suggested ands sadly this made no change.

The device is discontinued so I’m not sure what the manufacturer can offer, but its probably worth a try. Maybe they will offer the replacement wifi bond device, that can be integrated all to Smartthings.

If they both went out at the same time they either were unpaired by a surge/power outage or there is a problem with the device handler.

Unfortunately pairing them again will be the only way to fix it, and if pairing isn’t possible you’ll have to replace them.

One thing I noticed with some zigbee devices (including the fan controller)… When they say “disconnect/reconnect power to reset” the speed of disconnect/reconnect is… Fast. Like, come on, really, THAT fast, really?
Yes. That fast. But haha not TOO fast, oh, no, try again.
There’s a sweet spot of speed. When you hit it - it’s ingrained in memory. Just keep trying. It was BOTH of my fans as well.

1 Like

You are correct The devices are discontinued for sale from Home Depot but Hampton bay still makes them for warranty. I already received one replacment in October and that’s the bedroom unit that first exhibited these issues. I called Hampton bay yesterday and they already sent a replacement unit but then the living room crapped out too.

I am on hold with Hampton bay tech support but I doubt they will have anything better to say other than replacing the unit.

I do highly recommend to anyone reading this to buy the bond unit instead! I got my hands on one and aside from the giant remote it was a nice easy to understand plug and play all in one unit!

Ok so it’s exactly what I said… customer service has already sent me one replacement unit and told me they will gladly sent me another replacement upon my request. So now it’s a waiting game to install the new units and keep my fingers crossed that this fixes it because my electrical wires are super freaking short and extremely difficult to work with so I don’t want to keep playing this game with these units, this is like the 3rd or 4th time I will be replacing one of these.

1 Like

UPDATE: a few hours later and BOOM same exact problem! So this boils down to a software and not a mechanical issue.

I am about to have four of these units for scrap!

So I installed the replacement unit and everything is up and running again. I have no idea what caused both of those units to stop working around the same time.

These controllers are notorious for losing connection and becoming unresponsive. Some users have had success getting them to work by adding ZigBee repeaters in the same room as the fan. Others have gone further and replaced the antenna in them.

Has anyone figured out if there is a LED light replacement for the Hampton Bay Gardinier that will allow us to change the light frequency to a warmer color? The light I got included is a harsh white light and not attractive. Is there a way to replace with a smart bulb or something?

It is not a bulb that you can change the color of. You have to replace it.