Should have known. This morning the fan and light did not respond to voice commands nor through the classic app. About an hour later the fan and light were back to normal. Then an hour later back to no response. When it was not responding, I looked in the IDE and saw the fan and two fan lights in the list of things whereas normally the fan and one fan light is on the list.
The device ID for the fan changed and accordingly a new light child was created. Going into the properties for the fan there are two of each fan speed and only one for the light. One set of fan speeds have the original device ID and the second new set of fan speeds have a device ID that matches the new fan device ID.
From what I have been reading, the fan controller might have gone offline (when it did not respond to my commands) and when it came back online it has a new device ID and still would not respond until I deleted the duplicates with the new device ID.
I have a zigbee repeater about 8 feet from the fan and have experienced this multiple creation with the repeater in the mesh and without.
When it was not responding everything in the IDE appeared no different than when it was responding. I used the remote to turn on the fan and light which did work.
Again, not asking for help unless you have a suggestion other than swapping out the Hampton Bay receiver which would involve extensive ceiling repair because I used a polystyrene ceiling medallion to cover the antenna wires and that is glued to the ceiling.