Halo Smart Smoke Detector

I really don’t often see WiFi and ZigBee enabled on the same device as they may interfere with each other (both operate on 2.4GHz). That is why the Philips Hue bridge and SmartThings hub are ethernet hardwired (no 2.4GHz WiFi). Devices like the Harmony need a separate bridge to add ZigBee devices. As I understand, the Ecobees with WiFi do not use ZigBee either. Their remote sensors use some other proprietary signal.

1 Like

Your right on most of those things but Zigbee (depending on which radio) could be in the 900Mhz ISM band or if they could set the 2.4 channel to outside of the wifi’s bands https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/203845040-ZigBee-and-WiFi-Coexistence

also bluetooth and wifi coexist and they operate in the same bands over the same limited channels.

Also I can confirm their support team reads this board :slight_smile:

Thanks for answering my questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 900MHz band is not often used for ZigBee. Bluetooth hops throughout the 2.4GHz band so even though partial signal could be degraded or lost it can be transmitted on another part of the spectrum.

Yes, ZigBee and WiFi can coexist as long as they use different parts of the spectrum. The user and/or firmware has to have the smarts to enforce users to have their WiFi and ZigBee separated or signal can be completely drowned out.

1 Like

Yes but the smoke detector works regardless of the app. That is the security that is critical. If my internet goes down the Halo still works because it is hard wired. I may not get notifications but if I am at home I will be alerted because it will alarm. This is a sit it and forget it device. I don’t want to be accessing an app for the device, I want to install it and leave it alone. With a 10 year internal battery I won’t have to worry about it for 10 years. I would just like the alarm to announce the room that triggered the event when the Halo is connected to ST. However currently that functionality only works with the Halo app. I find that functionality to be a vital component to enhancing my family’s security at home in the event of a fire or carbon monoxide event as it leads to decisions for evacuation based on that information.

1 Like

Here is an update I just received from Smart Labs. I inquired about one of my Halos’ chirping and they recommended that I move it to their app. They just verified that ST will get their firmware updates and update the Halo devices but not as quick as the device will update in the Halo app. Since I was having the one Halo chirp they suggested I move it to their app to fix it quicker. I am happy to say that it no longer chirps. Also they further stated that the voice announce feature from the Halo app that allows the Halo to announce which room set off the alarm is coming to ST as well. So that is great news hear. Looks like the Smart Labs team is really on it with their device and its integration with ST.

5 Likes

Did you move it back to ST after their app updated the firmware?

Not yet. I feel that the voice announcing which alarm triggered the alert is critical and currently only setup in the Halo app allows that. Not a deal breaker for ST but for me I think it is critical due to having a large multi story house.

I am having an issue with my Halo and ST integration. When I test my Halo from the button I dont see anything in ST. I dont get a notification. I can also test my other hardwired smokes. They set off my Halo and it announces smoke, but still no notification in ST. I do see in the app Hushalarm is Disabled. Any help would be appreciated.

@jkanderson1977
Hmm. Are you able to control your light on your Halo?
You’re not going to receive anything for your other alarms in ST, but you should still see “Test In Progress” when triggering it from Halo itself.

I am able to control the light and see when it is in test. I can also start a test. But when I test another wired non halo smoke even tho the Halo begins to alarm and announces the smoke alarm I dont get any notification from ST.

That’s a known limitation at this point. It will only notify if halo itself
alarm

Thats right I did read that somewhere. Thanks for the reminder.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set the light to stay on all night via the DH or the app? I’m only seeing a Max of 30 minutes nativly.

Yeah just the 30minutes. Supposedly they’re working on changing that as well.

How does 4 hours sound? #askingforafriend

I was hoping to have it replace a hallway night light. So it would need to be on for 12 to get wife approval.

That is pretty worrisome, no notifications if its triggered by an older alarm? Is that something they can possibly fix via firmware and soon? So I might or might not get a notification depending on what set it off…

I just bought 3 that I need to go pick up, but after reading this… making me question it a little more now…

Yeah, wish I could say it was different but that’s what it is. No one wants to make a detector that works with third party devices. Don’t know why. I’d pay more for a Halo if it worked across all brands. It’s not really all I hoped it would be.

The units do alarm like any regular interconnected alarm during smoke, just no notification via SmartThings. No alarm on the market, to my knowledge, triggers SmartThings for interconnect alarms. They have released a new firmware for interconnect notification for interconnect units in their Halo App. It has yet to be released in SmartThings.