Half of smart devices not working (Jan 2019)

my hub (v2) had been in “INACTIVE” since end of last year. Created tickets three times without anyone getting back to me. Made the phone call on Jan 2nd, finally reached some lady after waiting for 45min+. All she did was asking me to try two reset methods which I told her I had done multiple times. Of course these tries failed. She told me engineers would get back to me in 24-48 hours. Now three days passed no damn people reached me by phone or email AT ALL! What a disappointment! Worst customer service ever! Farewell Smartthings …

3 Likes

A large portion of my devices are still showing unavailable and cannot be controlled by any means, google home, the app, etc. All appear to be zigbee. Is this still something related to the outage, or any other ideas?

Like many others I have had months of solid performance without having to reboot my ST hub but as of recently about half of my devices stop working and a reboot is necessary. My system is loaded with ST motion sensors, Zwave switches and Zigbee RGB lights. For the amount of money I have put into this system I really wish it was more reliable. I may have to setup a timed reboot of the controller if things don’t get better. On a side note I have had my system for about 2 years.

Try rebooting your router, changing your ST Hub’s password, then reboot and re-login to your ST Hub.
When I say reboot, I mean reset power.
You might even want to change your Router’s password.

Thanks for the reply David. Out of curiosity why would changing the password have anything to do with devices not working? What I think I am going to do is to write an app to reboot the hub every week while we are sleeping.

I do have a ton of devices connected and I could never find what an approximate limit is. I don’t feel like this is the issue because the same issues occurred when I had a few handfuls of devices connected early on.

I’m thinking you may have a hacker messing with your Smartthings network, that’s why I suggested changing your password.
I have many devices on my network too.
You also, may reload your App to ensure it is the latest updated version.
If you use FB, then you need to go into FB Settings and block all Fact Checkers. I did that and my Smartthings App runs much smoother. I was told by a Bitdefender Tech that the hackers normally come through FB, and Email.

1 Like

FYI… Amazon is having outages today causing issues for many services everywhere…

Issues with Device Control and Event Delivery to Voice Assistant ServicesSubscribe

Identified - Our cloud services provider has identified degraded performance that is impacting SmartThings and causing the aforementioned issues. We are monitoring this issue and will provide updates as they become available.
Nov 25, 09:55 EST

Investigating - Some users in the Americas may be experiencing delays or intermittent failures in device control and delivery of events to Voice Assistant services. This may cause failures in Alexa Routines that rely on SmartThings devices to execute or Voice Assistants providing errors in response to commands that did function as intended. We are currently investigating and will provide updates as available.
Nov 25, 09:00 EST

2 Likes

I didn’t realize ST utilized AWS. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like