Guardline driveway alarm with contact sensor?

Did that device end up working out for you?

1 Like

It sure did. Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

So I currently have a Linear Go Control hooked up to open/close and send notifications through ST. If I was to get this Guardline driveway alarm, would I need a separate Linear Go Control, or could I use the same one that is in use now and just setup a separate device handler for the driveway sensor?

Thanks in advance would love to get this and integrate with ST.

Does the EcoLink work really well? I’m looking at possibly doing that with the Guardline. Is this the one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPIYJWU

My GoControl Contact Sensor DTH allows you to use the GoControl/Linear Contact sensor as 2 devices.

I purchased the EcoLink Z-wave Plus version. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5HB4U5

I connected the switch to the Guardline

I attached the EcoLink sensor directly to the back of the Guardline and ran the wires to the sensor.

And this is what it looks like from the side view when finished.

It works like a charm and now I know when people are coming back my driveway. I have the Smarthings app send me a text message when the sensor is opened.

3 Likes

I also wired the Guardline receiver to an Ecolink sensor and it works great for texting me and turning big floods on so I can see better from my outdoor cameras.
Agree it would be nice if the receiver had separate contacts for the different zones but buying another receiver isn’t all that expensive. Now the challenge is to add some ways besides lights to scare off crooks. Been looking at sirens but I think I’d upset the neighbors when the Guardline is triggered by critters.

1 Like

Nice ideas here! Thanks. I think I’ll go with the Guardine, after all the positive reviews, to initiate recording of my outside cameras. I tried to install a Motion sensor outside, (https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15271&seq=1&format=2) to “help” the Alro’s motion sensors, but there were windy days when it would “detect” every 10 minutes. There are really very few false motion detects with the Arlo, but sometimes there was lag so I missed the first 3-4 seconds of people within range.
FYI: Had to switch the Arlo’s from “smarthtings” mode to “Armed” to eliminate most of this lag, but still missed events.

I did buy a Garage door sensor for my mailbox, that I found had “contacts” from Monoprice recently, on sale for $20, now $23. FYI: It is Z-wave, the ecolink is Z-wave PLUS. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11987

1 Like

FYI: I tried the (pictured) above Monoprice Garage sensor, but it didn’t work. I had it on my mailbox and had the same problem, if the mail person was “fast” open and closing the mailbox it didn’t register. If I connected wires to the terminal, and then touched them together it would register “Closed” . If it was already “closed”, laying on it’s side, it was quirky. Hooked it up to the Guardline, it failed to register, and I tried both terminals, NC and NO. It just didn’t “react” quick enough.
Got a EcoLink Z-wave Plus, like Mark (above) suggested and it works fine. I think it is a very momentary open/close, too quick for the Monoprice Garage Door sensor, but fine for a regular door sensor. I guess it it not like a garage door opens and closes really fast.

1 Like

Are you able to share the DTH you created for making this show as a motion sensor? I just purchased the Linear Contact Sensor and Guardline and have the Guardline working well now, so going to attempt to add the Linear into the mix and get it loading into ST.

Thanks!

Has anyone tried this with newer sensors? I just got a guard line and I’m trying to decide what sensor to hook it up to but some of the older sensors are unavailable (like the ecolink Z-wave plus and Gocontrol).

Thanks much appreciated!!

I’m also interested to know if any zigbee contact sensors will work with this, particularly ones that are supported by edge drivers. My setup is entirely zigbee and I’d rather not introduce zwave

1 Like

I’m not aware of any Zigbee devices that offer dry contacts as a base feature. :thinking:

Shelly does make a couple of WiFi devices with good safety certification that might work if that would be of any interest. Todd Austin does have an edge driver that I think includes these, or you can use the regular cloud to cloud integration. They should have very good range. These are all hardwired devices, though, not batterypowered.

I’m also going to tag @johnconstantelo just in case he’s seen a zigbee device with dry contacts.

1 Like

Thanks for tagging @JDRoberts. Unfortunately I haven’t come across any zigbee dry contact sensor a use case like this. Sorry about that @Declankh . Like you, everything I have is zigbee except a few Zwave+ devices.

2 Likes

I found this on the habitat forum

https://community.hubitat.com/t/sonoff-snzb-04-zigbee-door-window-contact-sensor-internal/47475

Suggests some success with sonoff door sensor as a dry contact sensor…
Needs further investigation :face_with_monocle:

That’s hacking the reed sensor. You can do that with almost any reed sensor you can physically remove. The problem is, it won’t have any of the usual safety features built in and it’s a little too easy to fry either the sensor or the other device. (in particular, purpose-built devices use specific materials for the contact points to avoid arcing due to degradation over time and increased on-resistance. People hacking a reed sensor don’t usually take this issue into account.) You can see lots of reports of that as well if you go out onto other home automation forums. I know there are people who do it, I just don’t personally recommend it when compared to a purposebuilt device. But that’s just me.

1 Like

I have a plan.
Going to try driving the door sensor with a 12v electromagnet. If it works I don’t need to tinker with the door sensor at all. I’ll let you know if it works.

2 Likes

Update on this.
I got an 12v 50N electromagnet this morning and hooked it up to the guardline 12v outputs on the base unit. The electromagnet will trigger the sonoff ZigBee contact sensor as long as it’s positioned correctly which is a little fiddly. It works when on the top rather than the side, and slightly off centre. So doing this means I can create routine in smart things based on this . Note that the routines need to trigger on close rather than open.

3 Likes

For anyone else coming across this thread, an easy hack to these extremely cheap sensors do the trick for Guardline: