Got 2 problems, with smartthings universe

Hi guys and Gals, got 2 problems…

first is i am seeking a zigbee or z-wave(smarthings universe on my samsung hub v3) Dimmer, but it should be capable of running 600 watts constant load on 100% load, and i have hours and hours searching and gooling, with no luck so far, think 320 watts as max load(not constant) is the best i found so far :frowning:

P.S. i got the python code to get this PHsensor working on raspberyypi/arduino

Second prob, is i wanna read a PH value in my Smartthings universe, and there isnt such a thing on the market at all :frowning: but i have bought the following and think it should be possibel to the trick, i probably just need pay somebody to make me a device handler for PHsensor through Fibaro Smart Implant

These 2 bought with intentions to solve the PHsensor prob:

Hope this is where we bust this nut, since many pool owners, and people with automated grows, will very much appreciate, if it was possibel to read PH values somehow in the SmartThings universe

Deep…

Are your bulbs LEDs or a resistive load like Halogens? :thinking:

There are a couple of ST-compatible dimmers that can handle up to 1000 W of resistive loads, I know of one from Jasco/GE and one from Leviton, but they can only handle up to about 400 W of LEDs. That’s because the physics are different: the inrush current on LEDs is very high.

So could you use Halogen bulbs? That would give you some additional options.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Incandescent-Required-Works-SmartThings-14299/dp/B07361Y54Z/

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-DSM10-1LZ-Universal-1000-watt-Incandescent/dp/B00NJ298JU/

Ph Sensors

As far as pH values, that IS a “capability” in the SmartThings architecture, so you should be able to do it. That’s the good news.

https://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html

That said, there are existing devices sold for pool monitoring, and I would recommend going with one of those instead. most of the individual pH sensors you can buy are not intended for use in pool water and you can run into what is called “galvanic corrosion“ where the device itself will catch fire. :scream: Swimming pools are particularly challenging because it’s not just the chlorine level itself, it’s the fact that the chemicals are dumped in in a very high concentration and then allowed to disperse through this very large volume of water. That creates an issue coincidentally similar to the high load issue you have with the dimmer switch: inrush above the safety ceiling, but this time of chemicals rather than electricity.

For example, the probe that you linked to has this instruction in the operating manual:

• The sensor MUST NOT be dipped in the detecting liquid for a long time.

It’s not intended to be just left in a swimming pool, for example, which is how most automated systems work. It’s intended to be used for a quick dip test and then removed.

So I suggest you start a new topic under projects and call it something like “monitoring pH in a swimming pool“ and then you’ll probably get some helpful responses. You should also specify what country you are in, as device selection does vary.

If instead your actual project is to measure soil pH, there are other devices for that. Basically continuous monitoring sensors are a different device class than dip sensors, so it depends on the details of the use case. So either way, create a project topic with a more specific title and you’ll probably get lots of responses. This is a very creative community. :sunglasses:

It would be most helpful if in future you would limit each thread to one topic and make the thread title descriptive of that topic.

This is a very busy forum and most people will only read topics of specific interest to them, so you will also get more responses that way. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Does this site have a life insurance policy for @JDRoberts? Without him, it would surely collapse.

6 Likes