Google vs Amazon Feud

Looks like the Google vs Amazon feud is expanding. Google removed YouTube from the Echo Show. Amazon then removed Nest products. Amazon changed the Echo Show to meet YouTube’s requirements, Google just yanked access again. Now Google states they are removing YouTube from the FireTVs on January 1st.

This is really disappointing.

The old Amazon argument for not carrying the apple TV, etc., was that it confused their customers when Amazon prime was not available on a video streaming device. OK, there’s an argument to be made for that.

But that couldn’t possibly affect the nest secure. That has to be aimed at google home.

3 Likes

Did you mean the Apple TV?

It’s clear what’s occurring here. The Echo Dot was again a runaway train of success the past two weeks. The Google device sold well too, but not nearly as well as the Dot. So google is getting flustered.

3 Likes

Yes, fixed, thanks. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hopefully Google won’t pull Nest from Alexa. Two of the biggest companies are having a pissing contest and it will only hurt the users in the mean time.

2 Likes

Always pissed me off that I couldn’t buy a Chromecast on Amazon…petty is as petty does.

2 Likes

I posted this in my original thread, but this is the email I received from Amazon.
Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience which you have experienced.

Currently Google is not supporting YouTube on Echo Show. To inform you that this trouble is caused due to the restriction of Google in accessing the YouTube on Echo show. This error is not from our site.

To make things better, We already forwarded this concern to the development team so that they were looking into this and may come up with the best possible solutions in the nearest future.

Please be assured that, there’s nothing to worry, we are here to take care of issues you encounter and we always endeavor to provide the best service to our valued customers and aim to ensure that the issue is resolved.

For the meantime, I request you to please extend your patience and understanding while we work on this.

Should you require any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We’ll be happy to help you!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.​​​​​​

We’d appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,

I can’t wait to see Google limit Amazon in their search engine results… Opps, I’m betting Google Search Division enjoys the revenue from Mr. Bezos’ cash cow! :joy:

2 Likes

From a Reuters article :
In a statement, Google said, "Amazon doesn’t carry Google products like Chromecast and Google Home, doesn’t make (its) Prime Video available for Google Cast users, and last month stopped selling some of (our sister company) Nest’s latest products.

“Given this lack of reciprocity, we are no longer supporting YouTube on Echo Show and Fire TV,” Google said. “We hope we can reach an agreement to resolve these issues soon.”

Amazon said in a statement, “Google is setting a disappointing precedent by selectively blocking customer access to an open website.”

It said it hoped to resolve the issue with Google as soon as possible but customers could access YouTube through the internet - not an app - on the devices in the meantime.

Amazon and Apple are getting along at least. The amazon prime video app was finally released for Apple TV today. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The interesting thing is Amazon Prime Video is now on the latest version of Android TV too… so this “feud” is super confusing. It’s awful and confusing for customers because there isn’t a clear line for what is and isn’t supported/offered.

It’s the wild west.

4 Likes

Sold all my Amazon speakers a couple weeks ago and got all Google home devices

Here is how to install a side loaded version of Youtube on FireTV. Did this yesterday and it worked very well. It was not hard.

1 Like

2 Likes

looks like the all came together for some :hugs:

1 Like

It’s a Christmas Miracle! :tada: :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Amazon is adding a browser to Fire TV.

1 Like