Google mail (Gmail) - IFTTT integration being obliterated March 31, 2019

Every time you think you’ve got something good going on, it gets snatched away.
I had two automations that were dependent on particular messages coming into google mail, with IFTTT grabbing them and forwarding that to Smartthings. But google is now breaking that function entirely.

I’m starting to wonder if interoperability is just a pipe dream. Competing commercial interests seem to never allow it for long.

1 Like

Yes, @rboy mentioned that in another thread earlier today. Very unfortunate: that’s going to break a number of integrations. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Google is becoming a snarky machine that is isolating itself more and more. Closing their APIs left and right, driving Nest into the ground, now killing their IFTTT. Not having a cozy feeling about Google these days.

didn’t @rboy say it was being discontinued on March 31, 2019?

1 Like

This is what Google sent out…

" Although you don’t need to take any action, we wanted to let you know that the following third-party apps will no longer be able to access some data in your Google Account, including your Gmail content. This change will go into effect starting March 31, 2019.

IFTTT

We are making this change as part of ongoing efforts to make sure your data is protected and private."

Yeah, my bad. I fixed the reference.

I didn’t receive an email. Can anyone answer if this is only impacting mail services with google or all IFTTT google services?

I have some Calendar and Contact recipes.

All we ‘know’ is the blurb google sent out - along with the blurb from IFTTT which states “all gmail triggers”.

1 Like

The way I read their message, this affects more than Gmail. I expect Calendar and Contacts to go too…

1 Like

I can’t fathom trying to learn yet another API at this stage of life.
However… I am wondering if the gmail API can be configured to do, within itself, what was being done in IFTTT. So that if an email is received with particular content in the subject line, it performs an http get to an external system (such as Smartthings).

Obviously the authorization would be an issue…

No.

It was google who shut down the integration because they are tightening up all of their external authorization paths as part of a new security review.

You could maybe have everything forwarded to a less secure email system and work from there, but I can’t think of one off the top of my head.