Google Home

New update!

You can play music from your own library now. Article below:

3 Likes

Yes I consistently have issue with devices not responding to commands from google home. That being said Iā€™m not sure if its google or smartthings thatā€™s the issue. I have a mix of Hue, LiFX and Lutron Caseta, and WeMO switches. It does seem to be specific to any of them sometime one or two just donā€™t respond to on/off or color change. It seemed like its gotten worse, I believe google did an update to the Home app and now my chromecast audio and video integrations are broken and they have no answer.

1 Like

I seen that too. Now that is cool. No Membership fee (PRIME) and free shipping if you meet the minimum requirement. I am so there. Now Add the GH Calling which I tested yesterday from my Google Home device and you have a Winnet!

Only kind of tangentially related to the thread, but thought might be useful to someone. I have been pulling my hair out since GH calling would not work. I would try to make a call, it would respond that it was and spin the lights, then say there was a glitch or something went wrong and try again. Last night I decided to stop waiting for a fix and see if I could figure it out. After trying all sorts of things including looking a router logs, changing router filtering settings, resetting the device, I decided to connect to my 2G wifi instead of my 5G. Voila! It works!

False alarm. Back to not working. :frowning:

Finally think I figured it out for real. It was that my router had parental controls using OpenDNS turned on. Even if I set the Home to have no filtering, or turned the default level to no filtering, it still caused a problem. I was able to turn on/off and it didnā€™t/did work twice so I am pretty sure thatā€™s it. Now I have to choose between the filtering and the calling :thinking:

Can you set up a separate wifi network (perhaps using the guest wifi) for the google home without filtering?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already checked that out. Looks like my DNS settings are global for the router. I canā€™t see a way to configure it one way for the main network and another for the guest network. The xfinity access point of one of my neighbors does show up but its just weak enough the home wonā€™t latch onto it.

So Iā€™ve added a few ST momentary push buttons to my set up. What is the correct voice command for Google Home for these? Iā€™ve tried ā€œturn onā€, ā€œstartā€, ā€œtoggleā€, and ā€œpushā€ and now Iā€™m out of ideas.

ā€œOnā€ should workā€¦Hey Google, turn On {switch}ā€¦be sure to check the log of the deviceā€¦momentary switches do revert back quickly so you may not be seeing the change.

Thatā€™s what I thought. But GH just keeps telling me she isnā€™t sure how to help.

hmmmā€¦that is oddā€¦but regular switches work ok?

I thought so too. Yes, regular on/off switches work fine with my GH.

Okā€¦and you are ā€˜discoveringā€™ the switch within the Google app? I have never had an issue with virtual switchesā€¦will need to try this tonightā€¦

Yeah, the GH app picked them all up automatically. They are being used to control my Roku TV: [RELEASE] Roku Virtual Buttons

I was thinking of going into the IDE and changing it to an on/off switch, but I donā€™t know if this will work with device handler that these guys set up for Roku.

Try setting up a virtual on/off instead of a momentary switch to see if that helps.

Update: Yes changing it to a ā€œOn/Off Button Tileā€ did the trick. The GH worked no problem.

Now Iā€™ll just use webCoRe to set the automation to what happens when the switch is turned on/off.

Thanks for the input. If you DO happen to play around with and get the momentary switch to work, Iā€™d be interested in the solution.

I will play around with it.

Any update on this? Google Home Mini can be a perfect match for notifications with SmartThings