Google Home

I waited awhile to get that skill with alexa but it’ll probably hit GH quicker.

1 Like

Anybody also notice GH services are always on once activated by google. Unlike Alexa you have to find and pick a skill. This is a big difference. To me anyway. Every service is available with GH and the end user doesn’t have to do anything.

That’s because Google knows everything…

2 Likes

So true. So true.

1 Like

Google is the NSA and CIA’s love child. Of course it knows all.

But yet we keep using them. Google is the most used phone OS, most used search engine and most used tablet OS. I believe last time I checked also the most use email. Safe to say most used everything just about. In my area its required by the middle and high school. Drive is were they upload their assignments.

2 Likes

Agree “Just About”. Their Chromebook is a flop for the most part. Still not getting that one?!?!

No I am with you on that. Its good for schools that use google for everything. But not everyday. Why I have a surface and pixel C

1 Like

I’ve never been able to get on the chromebook bandwagon. It’s only really ideal for people who need the basics of everything. I would rather run a lightweight linux distro on those machines.

2 Likes

Chromebooks (especially the smaller ones - I have an Acer C720) are a great device for internet browsing, shopping, and forum browsing, particularly if you are actively commenting/adding content via keyboard (i.e., here on SmartThings). If you’re only browsing, a tablet is fine, if you doing any amount of typing a Chromebook (for me at least) is far superior.

When I want a larger screen, my tablets (and my regular laptop as well) have gotten much less use since I got my Chromebook, simply because typing (referring to more than just entering a few search phrases) on the Chromebook is effortless and much faster compared to using a tablet keyboard, and the Chromebook is lighter and less obtrusive than my regular laptop (14").

I got my Chromebook for work needs, but have been pleasantly surprised how useful it is at home. Super long battery life, light and small so extremely portable, and simple to use. I’m a convert.

2 Likes

I see no difference between that and my google pixel c. Keyboard is easy to attach and does all Chromebooks can do. I think that is were Google went wrong and that is why you see them merging the to OS’s more and more.

For about $200, not needing to buy a separate keyboard, the Acer/Chromebook approach is more cost-effective. Not saying it’s the best or only option, but it is an economical and surprisingly engaging and effective option.

+1 on the Chromebook. I have given up on Android tablets as it appears Google has too. Too many apps/sites unreadable/unnavigable. Of course it has always been this way… we just kept waiting for Google to address it (they didn’t). Now that phones are larger, they are far more usable than an Android tablet.

2 Likes

The pixel c is new and means they have not given up. Best one so far perfect size and all

Google Home and Chromecast have all of the sudden stopped playing music. Can’t make it more than about 2 songs. Home was doing fine since launch and Chromecast for over a year. My family’s patience is running out sadly. GH user forum has a thread with hundreds of users reporting. Started at launch but gone through the roof as of a few days ago.

I noticed the problem yesterday evening. Spotify etc works with no issues, it’s Googl Play Music that has the problem.

I just noticed this today. The issue that I see is that the Chromecast casting shows in the notification window of every phone on the network. If one user closes the app, the music stops. Told users not to close the notification controls and everything is working fine.

For me for Google Play Music only (and started on christmas eve), if you tell it “Play christmas music” it will respond with, “Ok playing a station called Top Chistmas Pop Hits” then we hear nothing. On our phones it shows as casting. If i specify spotify or pandora there is no issues.

Yeah, I tried Pandora too and its been stable also.

Alexa in elevator

3 Likes