Google Home

Anyone know if there is an “audio out” like the dot? Would it do multi-room audio with a “Chromecast Audio” instead of another Google Home device?

Could be I have a nexus 6p. I’m not sure what their invites are caused by.

I don’t think I will either unless Google blows it away. I have three and 4 dots on pre order. But I’ll play and return or sell it if it’s no good. Or use it too lol

Official site:

https://madeby.google.com/home/features/#?filters=home,entertainment&feature=

3 Likes

In short, what is supported in a picture

1 Like

It’s not a full SmartThings integration, though. Of course, neither is Alexa. But as of today’s announcement:

Alexa/SmartThings:

Lights: on/off/dim. (No color)
Switches: on/off
Thermostat: up/down/set level .(no heat to cool change)
Routines (Limited to devices recognized by Alexa)
Custom phrases with IFTTT

Google Home/SmartThings:

Lights: on/off/dim/color control?
Switches: on/off
Thermostat: up/down/set level .(no heat to cool change)
Custom phrases with IFTTT

So no native control of locks or garage doors with either.

It looks like virtual switches should work with either, which then gives you a lot of additional options because of the versatility of SmartThings. :sunglasses:

Google Home lets you set the color of Phillips bulbs. It’s not yet clear whether you can set color through the SmartThings integration, though.

Alexa gives you some direct control of some routines, and way more device integration outside of SmartThings.

So both Echo and Google Home display the SmartThings logo. But it’s not a full integration with either.

5 Likes

I got a pre-order GH email from Nest. No discount though.

There is no real issues have an Echo and GH, right? I can see moving my Echo to my bedroom and dot to kitchen and then GH in living room.

Whats frustrating is that voice training seems like a US only feature. We dont have that here in the UK yet. :frowning:

1 Like

I am fast coming to the conclusion that the Echo release in the UK was rushed to get in before GH. That indicates to me, that Amazon are a bit worried.

1 Like

I am sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I looked and couldn’t find it, so here we go:

I live in Denmark and purchased a UK ST Hub, which works ‘flawlessly’ here. Does anyone know, if I can import the US Google Home to Denmark as well and then it will work with the ST (UK), IFTTT, HUE?

I would love to turn my lights on/off or start music on my chrome cast audio connected Sonos speaker.

Thanks in advance

I would assume until someone actually has one to test they won’t know… I expect the main reason the are not shipping yet is due to language and accent issues, but I’m in the UK and would consider importing one from the states if it works!

2 Likes

Well,
I have tried the OK, Google on my phone in Norwegian, and it is rather good actually on recognizing…
Haven’t tried for a while, but did try everything from, how much is the clock, and etc, worked without getting it wrong.

It’s a good point, OK google has been around for a while, perhaps it’s differences in the home implementation and understanding how to hold a conversation rather than just answer a direct question… or perhaps just playing it safe with one market… I’m just hoping we see it before Christmas, but probably unlikely :frowning:

Actually, you do. I saw this being discussed at another discussion site, and while I don’t recalk the exact steps taken…the voice training function showed up in the participants’ app after restarting it a time or two. Perhaps an update is needed.

Does anyone know if GH is pre ordered from stored will be available for pick up on release day?

with chromecast audio it will also do multi-room audio.

1 Like

I don’t mind speaking American English to a Google home device here in Denmark. All I am interested in is whether it will still integrate with HUE, ST and IFTTT from the Danish location.

1 Like

Google Now seems pretty good at recognizing foreign language… the only issue is, I can’t mix 2 languages in the same sentence…

So at least at launch not much difference. It will be interesting to see how the competition between the two, Amazon and Google, fuels the integrations. As a side note I use Alexa to control my garage door using the mimolite controller as a momentary contact sensor which Alexa sees and allows me to control it.

1 Like