Google Home

Haven’t played with CoRE yet. Waiting until it has cooked a little longer before I dive in. Has it been fairly stable for you?

I tried a virtual momentary switch but some of the items were not turning off. Mainly my Cree bulbs. Weird since I have never had my garage door relay switch fail with a momentary switch. Could just be the volume of devices. Hopefully, Google Home will adopt Groups like Amazon or allow the same device in various custom rooms which will serve the same purpose.

1 Like

How do you prevent all of the associated lights in the virtual switch from also going on when you turn on a single associated light? I am assuming that if the CoRE piston that turns on the virtual switch anytime one of the associated switches is turned on, that once the virtual switch is turned on, it will tell all of the other associated lights to also turn on. Since I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a solution, here are some screenshots of the smart app associated with my virtual switch that may help.

To those who have both GH and Echo/DOT, hope you enjoy this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfCfTYZJWtI&feature=youtu.be

9 Likes

Welp, so much for my GH… It had been working fine, but today it’s microphone crapped out and it can;t understand a word I say. Actually it sometimes can, which is amazing considering how bad the playback sounds. Back to Target it goes. I hope they have another for me.

@Paulo
I think I misunderstood the intent. In my case the virtual switch doesn’t turn anything on; only off. It’s used as a quick and easy way to turn off a group of lights that may have been individually turned on by a motion sensor, etc.
I’ve not yet worked with momentary switches; what SmartApp were you using when you had the issue with the Cree bulbs? I would think if CoRE received the momentary off signal, it would then send the off command to any and all specified switches?
Also to your previous question, I have had much success with CoRE. In fact, I switched all of my SmartLighting apps to be custom CoRE pistons in order to get some more flexibility. I would note that I’m in the early stages of building out my smart home though, and maybe just have basic enough use cases for CoRE to be stable enough for me.

Post withdrawn

In the event there is any interest, I wrote a blog post that describes how I connected SmartThings, Google Home, IFTTT, and Harmony. Thought I would share here: http://www.keithcredendino.com/google-home-and-smartthings/

1 Like

@ktcred, I’m blocked from accessing the URL you posted for some reason - Google Chrome says:

"Your Internet access is blocked

Firewall or antivirus software may have blocked the connection."

So either you’re one of the evil internet overlords my mom warned me about, or there is something in the URL that Google Chrome is unnecessarily getting upset about. This is on a work laptop that is mostly locked down, so I can’t do much troubleshooting.

Any ideas?

Not a huge deal, I can view it on my Chromebook and phone.

Phone? Were I read it on.

Interesting - comes up fine on my Chromebook.

Must be something in the firewall/AV on my work laptop that is getting its shorts bunched up.

Interesting…thanks for the heads up @Danabw. I haven’t had the issue, but if you wind up finding out more, do let me know. Thanks again.

Using Ifttt I am able to send execute piston commands. You can say " Hey google execute piston name" and it sends the command to CoRE. The command is sent and the dashboard says it’s being executed but none of the tasks in the piston are performed. Can anybody help me out with this, a bug? This seems like a good approach and should be working.

Most of the core experts hang out in the core peer assistance thread. If you ask your question there, you should get the quickest response.

Thanks, made a post there. Hopefully I can get this figured out. If this doesn’t work do you know if I can use a single virtual switch to control different routines using a web request variable?

Found a solution to the Google Home grouping problem after stumbling across Damon Floyd’s post:

1. Install (create and publish) Damon’s device type/handler
  2. Create a virtual switch and set the device type to Damon’s momentary double-pole switch.
  3. Use the Smart Lights App to group the appropriate lights that you want to associate with the virtual switch.

This allows you to use normal vernacular when turning groups of items off and on since the virtual switch defaults to a neutral position and is always ready to turn on or off no matter what the latest command was. Not as easy to set up as the Amazon Echo groups but once it is setup you don’t have to redo or decipher the grouping in various platforms as long as they accept an on and off command, GUI or Voice. Which brings us to the only drawback to this device type, the code as Damon stated has a poor GUI and Smartthings shows the switch as a Push Button with no separate on or off capabilities. Not a problem for me or Damon since I assume like myself, he is using it for voice automation and doesn’t particularly care about the app functionality. However, for those of you who may want to use an app I can confirm that it works with SharpTools since the GUI has an on and off button. Maybe someone can rework the code for an on and off switch in the Smartthings app.

5 Likes

Does anyone know of google home can be used without the hub? For instance, the pixel comes loaded with google assistant. I would expect that it would also come with the full functionality of the hub as well??

If you mean the ST hub, then no, you need the hub to have Google run your lights.

If you mean something different, please specify. There is no hub for Google Home. What are you referring to?

if you use Philips Hue, then you don’t need ST hub for lights.

But you still need the Hue bridge, right?