Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

Hi @AlexS,

I just went through a number of steps to try and clean my account of all Google/SmartThings connections. I factory reset both Google Home devices, unlinked all accounts (my wife and I were both linked with individual accounts on both Google and ST).

After doing the above, I tried re-linking with just Google Assistant on my Pixel, no go. I then setup one GH device linked to only my Google Account, then attempted the link to my ST account - NO GO. I did the same on our 2nd GH device, again nothing. I then attempted this with my wifeā€™s accounts and same issue.

The exact same outcome as before, after tapping ā€œauthorizeā€ in the Google Home app for Android I only get ā€œCouldnā€™t update the setting. Please check connectionā€.

Hope we get somewhere fast, now I have zero voice controls, previously my wifeā€™s account was still working for the devices which were listed in her account, although we couldnā€™t add new ones, which is how I discovered this issue to begin with :frowning:

1 Like

I have the same orphaned devices and Iā€™m not able to unlink or relink. Itā€™s been this way since August 3rd. Iā€™ve been using my Echos ever since.Smartthings integration is totally broken and it is amateur hour over at google.

1 Like

Unlink the SmartThings / Samsung Connect voice integration from Google Home Control via the Google Assistant or Google Home app

This is the actual problem. It can not be done.

It says, ā€œSuccessfully unlinked your Smartthings/Samsung connect device.ā€ but it doesnā€™t actually unlink.

Go into your SmartThings mobile app, navigate to Automations > SmartApps and uninstall any versions of the Google Assistant SmartApp, do this for all your locations by tapping the hamburger button in the upper left corner of the SmartThings mobile app and choosing one of your other locations and repeating this process

Not installed.

Reinstall the Google Home app on your mobile phone (if you are using a Google Home device) and factory reset your Google Home device by holding the mute button for 15 seconds until it says ready to pair

Done.

Setup Google Home as you normally would via the Google Home app

Done.

Same issue. Can not unlink, link GH to smartthings. Have 2 orphaned devices that I can not controll. Can not control any smartthings devices via GH.

1 Like

This is a known issue, where you end up with ghost devices. Itā€™s on Googleā€™s side. Weā€™ll let them know and may reach out back to you for more info.

Thank you. We are working on it. I think weā€™ve got some really good detail in your response. We will keep everyone here posted to find out whatā€™s going on.

1 Like

Noted. Thanks for chiming in.

Great detail here too, this what we need. Thank you.

Hi, another with the same linking issue. Waiting for a fix to this!!

1 Like

Thanks. Would be great if you could provide us with details so that we can parse one bug from another. See some of the examples above.

I think this is the problem, getting the same

Hi Alex,

First, thank you for your willingness to help the SDT community out with this!

FWIW, I was able to get the original issue (iā€¦e the sudden inability to select ST items to incorporate in GH) fixed pretty easily after Lars posted his announcement up aboveā€¦

The basic steps I used are described in post 118 ā€“ everything has been working fine for me since.

I feel for the folks here who are having bigger issues with the integration (no doubt frustrating!!) - itā€™s not my intent to rub it in anyoneā€™s face that mine worked OKā€¦ But maybe it can be helpful to you guys at ST to know that it worked well for some of us right after Larsā€™s fix was announced.

Thanks again for all you guys do!

1 Like

A couple more things to add:

1. FWIW when I uninstall the Google App from the Smart Things SmartApps panel, it reinstalls itself after I tap ā€œAuthorizeā€ during the linking processā€¦ Yet thsi still has the same outcome of the GH app not recognizing the link.

2. If I tap ā€œDenyā€ Google Home App does a funny thing and says I successfully linked my accountā€¦ although nothing ever shows in devices and SmartThings is not listed in Manage Accounts. But when I do this ā€œGoogleā€ is removed from the SmartThings SmartApps panelā€¦ :confused:

1 Like

Yeah, wish this worked for me but sounds like I have a fundamentally different issue. Iā€™ve never been able to authorize ST with GH (always get the ā€˜Couldnā€™t update the setting. Check the connection" notification) since I picked up my GH about a week and a half ago. Trying to authorize does put the ā€œGoogleā€ smartapp in ST and I can go in and choose which devices I would like to connect by deselecting the button there that allows access to all devices, but no devices ever show up in the GH home control section. Going back into GH and unlinking (choosing ā€˜denyā€™ instead of authorize) goes briefly back into Devices/Rooms, indicates successful linking (!) and removes the Google smartapp from ST (or I can uninstall the Google smartapp within ST manually) but trying to relink produces the same results. This on firmware 1.26.93937 (as well as the previous firmware that was loaded onto the unit after I picked it up). LT (ie like Travisā€™ experience above)

1 Like

I am sorry to see that so many of you are having issues.

I am trying to reproduce the problem with account linking failing in EU. I also see the blank page on iOS but waiting a little bit results in the screen closing and link being successful. However, I believe that I am probably not seeing the same problem you have.

1. Can someone who see the blank screen confirm that you donā€™t immediately click back and have tried waiting a bit?
  2. Can everyone send a private message to me with your smartthings account email so I can investigate further?
  3. If any of you are seeing this issue and are not on EU shard, also please let me know when you PM

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello! Still unable! Both google suport and smartthing support are seing
they are wotking on it! :frowning:

1 Like

No rub facing by letting us know that one of the issues was resolved with our parity fix (we have it on Alexa). We were working with a different Google team back then, the current one were very happy with the resolution as were many of you :slight_smile:

Thanks, Travis.

As an fyi, we are actively talking with Google on these issues. They want to get all of you up and running again as much as we do.

To @here on this thread, please keep the details coming. The more signal we have the faster and easier it will be identify root cause. @Lars and I are going through every single response posted. Thanks!

1 Like

This is super helpful, Larry. Thanks for posting. FWIW, I had the same problem during functional testing recently. Both ST and Google are going through replies in this post to identify root cause. Stay tuned.

Thatā€™s because we are :slight_smile:

So, to be clear, you tried the steps above in my comment as wells as Larsā€™? See above for more details. Also, what mobile OS are you using? iOS or Android? Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, thus far. Again, please keep the comments and descriptions coming. They are very helpful to both Google and SmartThings in defining a root cause and fix.

Please be sure to look at my instructions as well as Larsā€™, above, and also please state what mobile OS you are using (Android or iOS).

Thanks!

2 Likes