Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

Thanks @Lars.

I am facing the issue of the “blank page” on the iPhone as well. Is the team working on that?

I just logged into my Google Home app and am now seeing all devices again. I can see in my SmartThings app that I have only authorized the devices I want to use, but they are all showing up in my Google Home.

I managed to get my devices linked to google home (UK SmartThings set). Could be that an official fix was issued or I just got lucky but I’m not about to unlink and relink to find out.

Here’s what I did.

• Do the usual “add device” on GH app. After clicking on “authorize”, wait for the usual “something went wrong, try again” screen.
  • Go to ST app. Go to Smartapps and click on the Google Smartapp.
  • Uncheck “Allow GH to control all devices”. Make sure no devices are selected. Next, select just one device. I suggest to use the least complicated one, i.e. a simple switch (without multiple end points). Click done to save.
  • Go back to the GH app, do the usual “add device” steps. I got a different error message this time. The message is a pop-up that says “Unable to add device from graph.api.smartthings.com. Please try again”.
  • Go back to ST app and go to the Google Smartapp. Now, I saw that the checkbox for “Allow Google to control all devices” is active again. Uncheck and again, select only for one switch to be exposed to Google Home. Click done to save.
  • Force close the GH app. Reopen it. Do the “add device” steps again. At this point, it worked for me and GH found one device.

After that, I just went back to the ST app and select all the devices I want to be controlled by GH. Force close and reopen the GH app to refresh.

Let me know if this helps.

No luck for me. follow the steps you given still unable to link in GH app “couldn’t update the settings, please check connection”.

@Lars is team working for the link issue? UK set.

I have tried everything mentioned here and elsewhere, tried restarting both GH and SmartThings with no luck.

Looks like GH is pointing to a wrong ST server.
graph.api.SmartThings.com instead of https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com. Not sure.

1 Like

Thanks Chris for taking your time for explaining a possible solution!

My problem relates to the fact that cannot re-linked my ST account in the GH app. I keep getting and error or something went wrong message in both my IOS and Andriod device. I think for now I am stocked with Alexa until this mater is clear either for ST or GH side.

I am getting the same error: can’t authorise, check your connection. has anyone been able to get past this?

I’m having the same problem. Have just picked up GH to and have never been able to authorize with ST. Always get the ‘Can’t update, check your connection’ black box. Have tried only allowing the Google Assistant SmartApp (which shows up in ST after my failed authorization) to only control one device, clearing caches, force stopping, etc but no luck. Interestingly when I ‘Deny’ authorization (not sure how else to unlink ST from GH since it doesn’t show up ever in my GH devices) I get a message that I’ve successfully linked to ST! (though of course it still does not show as a linked device in GH).

I just tried denying the authorisation and can confirm the same. It shows a successful connection message but no devices appear and the Google smartapp is no in ST. Mine’s been working fine for 6 months until today, when I tried adding more devices to GH.

I reached out to ST support and they’ve acknowledged they are aware of the problem and actively working on a resolution.

Today I did an unlink and am trying to re-link in Google Assistant app (iOS) and it doesn’t work. Tried all the work arounds listed recently and still doesn’t work. After selecting “Authorize” of my hub in the Google Assistant app I get this:

Hello, just curios if anyone has seen an update for the unable to re-link problem? I’m on Android and iOS and I can’t get either to re-link, iOS gives blank page, Android drops back into the Home app after tapping “authorize” then says “Couldn’t up update the setting. Please check connection.”

I’m on the eu01-euwest1 shard…

Hi Travis, I’ve had no update from ST or Google yet. I first had this issue occur on Saturday, and I have been trying to reconnect HT and GH periodically ever since, with no success.

Dang,

Well I’m also in communication with Google Home Support, but they don’t seem to have much of a flying clue and wanted me to re-set my Home Device… which I knew wouldn’t fix the issue, but to entertain their required scripts I did it. Thankfully they have escalated the issue to another team, and now they are requesting a phone call with me, so we’ll see how far I get.

Hi Everyone. I’m Alex. I’m the PM for Voice at SmartThings. I work closely with @Lars.

First, I want to thank all of you for using SmartThings. It goes without saying, that without your support we wouldn’t be here today. As many of you know, new technology may not always work the way we want it to for a variety of reasons, and it can be trying at times.

We wanted to let you know that we are actively working on this issue. Issue we think we’re running into, here, is that we may have had two problems with the same end result. Reason I’m here is to collect more data, specifically we want to know if you are still experiencing soft account failures.

If so, would you please perform a clean install using the following steps to help us identify and fix the issue? This will help us to rule out false positives. We will collect the data and use it with Google. Here are the steps:

1. Unlink the SmartThings / Samsung Connect voice integration from Google Home Control via the Google Assistant or Google Home app

2. Go into your SmartThings mobile app, navigate to Automations > SmartApps and uninstall any versions of the Google Assistant SmartApp, do this for all your locations by tapping the hamburger button in the upper left corner of the SmartThings mobile app and choosing one of your other locations and repeating this process

3. Reinstall the Google Home app on your mobile phone (if you are using a Google Home device) and factory reset your Google Home device by holding the mute button for 15 seconds until it says ready to pair

4. Setup Google Home as you normally would via the Google Home app

5. If you’re not using a Google Home device, skip steps 3 & 4, you’re done

We’ve been working with Google to fix another issue with a similar MO. That fix deployed (Google side). We’ve also had reports that a clean factory install and updating to the latest software apps solved this problem for some users; again, different issue, similar behavior.

We want to know if this is not you. If you are still experiencing the soft account failure, please reply here after trying the above. If you have a funky setup, like multiple gmail accounts on your phone tied to the same ST account or if you shared your SmartThings account to a family member that’s also linked Home Control to that account via their own mobile device, please note it in the reply.

Please also state what mobile OS you are using (Android or iOS).

We may reach out to you individually for more information. Meantime, know that we are actively working on this issue and want to get all of you up and running again as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 Likes

Okay, unlinked SmartThings from Google Home via Google Home App (had never been successful linking anyway but unlinking (‘deny’) removed the Google Assistant from Automations/SmartApps), uninstalled/reinstalled the Google Home App and factory reset the GH device, running through setup again. Still get the “Couldn’t update the setting. Please check the connection” notification when trying to authorize SmartThings in GH (after choosing ‘Home’ in the drop down box). No other users on the system. Have only the one SmartThings hub linked to the ST email and password I use (I do have another (different) SmartThings Connect email and password but there is no hub linked to it). LT

1 Like

Follow steps above. problem still exists.

iPhone - "Something went wrong, try again!"
Android - “Couldn’t update the setting. Please check connection.”

(UK set)

1 Like

I have a slightly different issue with removing existing devices on GH that were linked to the Google Assistant smartapp. These devices were not removed when I unlinked and removed the smartapp from ST, now they seem forever orphaned. The devices also do not work with GH anymore with the Google Assistant smartapp being deleted.

I have followed your steps (@AlexS) and performed factory reset on both our GH’s. Uninstalled the GH app from my phone (Android) and my wife’s phone (iOS); her phone was also linked to both ST and GH. These devices still show up in GH as “virtual and other devices”

However, I am able to link ST with GH and restrict which devices show up, the problem is the orphaned devices are named the same as the devices brought in by ST in GH.

1 Like