Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

Finally got my Google re-linked as well. Ended up removing my Nest Protect and accompanying smartapps/DTH’s, but it didn’t seem to help. Then I removed my Ecobee which uses smartapp and DTH by storageanarchy, closed ST and the Home apps, cleared cache and gave it another try which worked. I’ve re-added the Ecobee, specified it as a thermostat only within the Google smartapp and confirmed I can still control it using voice. So I’m guessing it was the Ecobee causing the issues, but maybe clearing the cache and/or removing the Nest was the actual fix and it just needed more time to propagate.

I noticed an issue a few days ago where none of my changes were reflecting on the home control within the Google Home app. I un-linked my account and then attempted to re-link but kept receiving the “Couldn’t up the setting. Check the connection.” error from the Android app. Similar message from IOS. I tried allowing only one switch to be seen by the Google Home from the SmartApp but still couldn’t see anything. I also tried reseting the Google Home devices and many other things to no avail.

After reading Lar’s post about the Thermostat device capability issues I have now resolved my linking issue.

I’m running yvesracine’s Ecobee custom DH.

To resolve the issue I went into the device handler on the IDE and commented out capability “thermostatHeatingSetpoint” and “thermostatCoolingSetpoint”. Saved and Published.

I then removed the Google SmartApp from the Smartthings App.

I was then able to link my Smartthings back with Google Home.

@Lars Is Smartthings going to provide some guidance to custom device handler coders as to what capabilities the should be providing? I’m guessing as soon as I add the setpoints back to the custom dh I will no longer see any new devices I add on Google Home.

2 Likes

Got the same problem, and that solved it…nice one

Making @tonesto7 aware of this if he hasn’t seen it yet.

1 Like

I think the capability documentation for thermostat is a bit unclear on this point and should be improved. However, I will also update the Google code to handle this case without failing sync.

3 Likes

I removed the Nest Thermostat DTH completely (I don’t have a Nest Thermostat but use Nest Manager for my smoke alarms) and am still unable to link ST and Google Home. I’ve had a support ticket open for a few days and we’ve made no headway so far. Lars, can you take a look at my account and see if you see anything odd? I can PM you my account email address if necessary. To summarize the issue, when I go into the Google Home app and link SmartThings, it asks me to log in to my ST account. I log in and then it asks me to authorize Google Home. I select my “Home” location, click OK, and the app spins for awhile and eventually a banner at the bottom says “Something went wrong. Try again.” I have over 50 device handlers and smartapps and have no idea which might be causing it.

FYI - I followed yours steps in option 1 and this took care of the Google Home connection problem. THANKS!

Removing my ecobee completely from ST let me think to GH. Thanks all for the help! Fyi I was able to re-add EB to ST after and no problems.

I just had to do this and it worked for me. I pointed some people on facebook to this thread and it fixed it for them too. What is causing the problem? I mean is it samsung software or google that’s the culprit. I’m wondering if I need to contact google cause they seem to have no idea how to fix the linking issue. Someone was on the phone with them for a long time yesterday and today with no fix. They had them factory resetting devices and deleting accounts and such which I would say obviously does nothing. If google would just tell them right away about the thermostat issue they could fix it in under 15 minutes. Just so no one is confused about which part I’m talking about I had to delete thermostatCoolingSetpoint and thermostatHeatingSetpoint. I added them back when I was done.

I had the same issue using the DTH from @SANdood for my Ecobee 3. Removing the Ecobee from ST and the adding it back after Google synced worked, but I found an even faster way to do the same thing.

After adding another smartswitch (which google didn’t yet recognize) I edited the Ecobee device to use the stock ST device type for the Ecobee thermostat. Bingo, google picked up the new smart switch right away and I was able to immediately switch back to the custom DTH.

The whole process took less than a minute.

Cool, that did in fact work. Thanks!

I suppose this is also why we get an error when we ask Google Home to sync my devices?

Who’s problem is it to fix? Google? Smartthings? Someone else (other than me)?

From the comments above, it looks like it could be fixed by either tweaking the DTH coding or a more tolerant google sync process, which Lars from Smartthings is already on. Check out his post a few up (#427) on Dec 8.

As far as I have seen, it only affects renaming and newly added devices. All other Google integrations seem to work fine. But I don’t add or rename too often and the workaround is simple enough to tolerate while they work it out.

Found this thread after noticing my new things weren’t appearing in Google Home. I removed my Smartthings account from Home thinking this would refresh it, but when trying to re-link my account I got the “Couldn’t update the setting. Check your connection” message, so I removed
capability "Thermostat Heating Setpoint"
and
capability "Thermostat Cooling Setpoint"
From the Nest Thermostat DTH, then re-linked account in Home - first time I got the exact same error, but I ran it again immediately afterwards and it all sprang to life.
I’ve re-added the capabilities to the Nest DTH and everything seems to be working well now…

1 Like

thanks, I didn’t really see anything in the thread that made me think that the SmartThings staff felt like there was a fix on their end we should expect. But absolutely appreciate that they are “on it”.

I guess my concern is… xmas is coming…

I have been using GH and ST together for about a year and just this weekend lost connection between the two in a similar fashion as described in this thread. There was no updates I was aware of by google home kept asking me to setup lights in the app before I could control them (even though they were). I have reset GH and unlinked accounts in ST and GH app a few times including removing the “smart lighting” smartapp as some suggested in this thread could be causing issues. The GH app shows the link as being successful but I receive the same error upon asking GH for any home related actions.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or how to fix it?

1 Like

I’m having same issue. I am unable to link SmartThing to Google Assistant since I performed an “unlink”

OK, so I removed Nest Manager and all associated Nest Products from SmartThings and the authentication to Google Assistant worked. So who’s issue is this?

This worked for me as well I removed Nest from Google App in ST and I was able to link back again

I had my google home connected to ST for about 6 months now. I just bought a new light switch and was unable to integrate it with GH, I then unlinked it to try to rest all the devices… that was a bad idea.

I am now unable to re-link it back up. I’m having the “check connection” error like everyone else. I’ve read in other threads that a fix patch went out but it’s still not working for me.

Please help, thanks!

I removed Nest from my ST and it worked. Has anyone re-added Nest and had it continue to work?