Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

After you have setup the account link to SmartThings. You can open the Google smartapp and change which devices should be exposed. It just defaults to all of them to simplify the first setup process.

Having the Google smart app installed in more than one location often causes issues. If you have multiple locations and not seeing any devices, or not the devices you expect, this is always the first thing to check.

We are working on solving this issue to make sure it pulls in devices from the most recent setup. However, you will still not be able to use Google Home/Assistant to control devices in more than one location.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

@Lars This is quite unfortunate that Google let a flagship product out, with a ā€œWorks with Smartthingsā€ stamp on the box that actually doesnā€™t. I know you must be quite busy, however it will be great if someone in the community compiled a wiki for this issue. I read through almost all the 400+ posts and still donā€™t have a clue as to what would for sure make GH work with ST. I actually tried almost all of the solutions listed here and am still getting the ā€œSomething went wrong. Try againā€ error.

Here is my situation and how I resolved it:

History - I installed SmartThings hub and linked with Google Home just fine about a week ago. I have been using voice to control Things connected to my SmartThings Hub without any problems at all. This evening I decided to experiment with SmartApps and connected two custom apps from the community to control NEST (thermostat) and MYQ (garage doors). I was able to add them and use them in the SmartThings app without any issue.

Problem - Google Home was not showing these new Things in the devices list. In an attempt to overcome this issue I chose to unlink SmartThings from the Goolge Home Linked Services. When I attempted to relink it (hoping the new Things would appear) I was unable to do so and received the error " ā€¦ check your connection.".

I suspected the SmartApps I had added (using the ā€˜My Appsā€™ option at the bottom of the Marketplace/SmarApps page) were to blame.

Solution - I removed the NEST Thermostat and MYQ Garage Door Things from SmartThings and was then able to link my SmartThings account in Google Home without an issue.

In my case, the inability to link SmartThings back with Google Home was because of these two new SmartApps I had added to SmartThings. When i got SmartThings linked back up with Google Home everything worked as it did before I unlinked them. All of my Google Home shortcuts remained intact. It is like nothing ever happened.

Oh, and after adding NEST and MYQ to SmartThings ā€¦ I was able to use my Amazon Echo to raise and lower the Garage Door. Google, on the other hand, did not work. Chalk the W up for Echo on this use case. Google needs to get this figured out!

Hope this helps others.

Thank you, thank you! I removed the custom Nest device and the Tonesto SmartApp from SmartThings, and now the GH allowed me to link ST. Interestingly, my garage door opener is from Iris and with no custom handlers or SmartApps. I didnā€™t hence remove this for the GH-ST linking. The garage door works with ST and Alexa. But, this is not showing up in the GH as a device. Hey Google - itā€™s not rocket science, fix this!

What most of us do to open our garages is create a virtual switch that Google does see. Use that switch to trigger open/close events.

I am still having issues linking smartthings to google assistant. I unlinked both of my accounts today and try to link again and got the same error that everyone is getting on Android about settings not updated check your connection.

I bought mine over Black Friday and just got around to hooking it up last night. I cannot get Google Home to link to SmartThings AT ALL. Everything I authorize it, I get ā€œSomething went wrong.ā€ I opened a ticket with ST last night as well. Iā€™ve glanced through some of these posts and there is no way - none, nada, zero, zilch - that Iā€™m going to go through and try to isolate a smartapp or device handler which might be causing it and remove it. Come on SmartThings, get this fixed.

Agree. That is the route I am now headed.

Thanks after removing the nest I was able to relink again

Seieng the same here issue. I unlinked smartthings from google home last night. Trying to relink them now always gives the settings not updated check your connection message.
I also removed google assistant from smartthings app, but that didnt help.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Same issue here. Messed up thing is I bought 1 GH and 3 Minis over black friday to switch from the Echo ecosystem to the GH ecosystem. I changed the name of one of my devices and GH didnā€™t update. Simply unlinking my account and relinking it should fix that, right? WRONG

Now I canā€™t relink, getting the same error message stated here. Removed the app, no joy. Defaulted the main GH, no joy. It shows up as linked in SH, so I remove it there and try to re-add it, no joy. Am I supposed to factory default all 4 Google Homes?

Tried unlinking the Nest app, it says it did so, but itā€™s still listed? GH seems very, very broken.

Also seeing this issue. Unlinked ST two nights ago and have been unable to relink since due to the error ā€œCouldnā€™t up the setting. Check the connection.ā€

I see at least two of you guys mentioned that using Nest breaks the linking. Can you send me a link to what smartapp/DTH you are using and I will take a look?

An update on the Nest issue, I looked at the custom DTH from the NST Manager project. They have an incorrect capability definition in there that would cause an issue with the latest updates to Google Assistant. This might be true for other custom thermostats as well.

This can be solved in one of two ways:

1. Make sure that the DTH you are using does not define capability ā€œThermostatā€, capability ā€œThermostat Heating Setpointā€ and capability ā€œThermostat Cooling Setpointā€ at the same time.
    *Please remove capability ā€œThermostat Heating Setpointā€ and capability ā€œThermostat Cooling Setpointā€

2. In the Google smartapp:
    *Turn off blanket permission toggle
    *Select all your devices you want to expose
    *Make sure that your thermostat is not both added as a thermostat and as a heater.

4 Likes

While I donā€™t have a Nest Thermostat, I do use the Nest Manager smartapp for a Nest Protect. However Iā€™ve tried only enabling a single switch through the Google smartapp and Iā€™ve still been unable to link ST again. It seems as though the process to link ST reset the Google smartapp settings as every time I go back into the app after attempting the link ST, the ā€œAllow Allā€ toggle getā€™s re-enabled.

Update:
So having seen mention of thermostats causing issues, I removed my Hive SmartApps and DHs.
I continued to try to relink and always saw the error pop up. Despite never seeing it succeed, I tried again one time only to not see Samsung Smartthing in the list, and sure enough it had actually linked. I went back and adding in Hive again, set it all up, only to see that GH never updated to show any new smartthings things. I risked unlinking again, and now Im back where i was, not able to relink, always seeing that error.

FYI, I did earlier remove the google assistant smartapp from within smartthings app, but that didnt seem to help.

Annoying, but perhaps useful debug info.
Iā€™ll give it a while, and if it doesnt fix itself, Iā€™ll remove Hive again and try some more.

See above post on Nest, I checked and it seems like the Hive DTH has the same issue.

3 Likes

Fantastic, thanks, this worked for me. I opted for removing the capability ā€œThermostat Heating Setpointā€.
It didnt immediately work, so I removed all my hive devices from the hive smartapp, then set them up again from scratch. By the time I had finished this, and went to try linking in Google Home app again, smartthings was linked already.

Thanks again.