Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

The 400 error in livelog is unrelated to the account linking. But yes, we are still tracking the issue some people are having that prevents them to link at all since the new integration was added.

@Lars Wanted to follow up on my specific issue thru email , but might as well bring the good news here and possibly help someone else out.

We finally did it. I finally got my Smarthub to link with Google Home. 5 minutes ago I was able to control my IKEA Tradfri light thru Google Home voice command.

Over the moon happy (first world problems, I know) and grateful for your support.

What I did (not rocketscience): Gave the main Google Home (my big Google Home , so not the mini) a good old Factory Reset. And then linked the Smartthings service again from the Google Home app.

It just worked.
Haven’t tried it with the Android app yet, (after the factory reset).

Just letting you and everyone else know that if you see “The Google Assistant” or “Google” under your specific device / smartapps list , there will probably be something wrong. (see screenshot from before it was working).

I no longer have any specific SmartApps now under my Tradfri light.
Also : Doing it thru the iPhone was the first time I got the “Google” SmartApp in stead of the “The Google Assistant” SmartApp

So , to reiterate : this is NOT correct - this was from before when it was not working. “The Google Assistant” is no longer there now , when I check this specific tab.
23107216_10156092753487240_973870381_o

1 Like

Still seeing “ghost” devices as well, I’ve done everything and talked to higher level Google support as well as @Lars, nothing is making these devices go away and they have been completely deleted from that hub with the location deleted. Everything is now connected to the Shield link and GH still thinks these devices are active and responding, still remenbers the last thermostat set point as well.

Confirmed, this method worked for me too, unlink smartthings in gh and link it again.

Has anyone seen ghost/virtual devices go away lately after the Google fix?

Not I. Ghost/virtual devices are still there in my account.

Is there a way to reactivate the old “smartthings” integration and possibly delete the virtual devices by adding and removing it again? It seems like the issue is caused by the fact that the new “Samsung/Smartthings” integration is seen as a separate account within Google home. When I first got duplicate devices it was bc my Smartthings account was linked but no longer showed as a linked account within the Home app, I only had the option to connect the “Samsung/Smartthings” account, at that point I got duplicate devices that have never gone away
 The new integration also behaves differently, before when I asked Google to turn off all lights it did so, now it will not turn off my GE dimmer switch or Around Dimmer when I give the “all lights” command, even though these device types should be considered a light within Google Home.

Unfortunately Google is not supporting a way to go back to the old integration. Google would have to help clear those duplicated devices.

So right now we are basically stuck with duplicates unless Google can find a way to clear them?

no, ghosts virtual devices still there

Thanks for the tip about the time.

I live in Illinois (CDT) and when asked the time both my Google Home and Google Mini say something like "In Indiana it is (the correct time) Looking at the Google history in the app, I don’t see anything other than what it should have said.

So how likely is it that if i bought a google home and linked it to my SST acct. that it would not work?? I only have about 20-30 devices but I dont like how amazon doesnt provide much support in Canada, which is why I want to go the route of GH :canada::canada::canada:

@Lars finally no more ghost devices after today’s GH app update and disconnect/reconnect

Confirmed! After a disconnect/reconnect, virtual devices are gone!

Thanks @Lars for sticking with us on this issue!

1 Like

Great to hear, Google is also working on better tools for partners to debug any issues.

I believe there is still a number of users that are unable to link at all.

1 Like

@Lars It’s still odd that GH doesn’t recognize light switches as “lights” by default. If I rename the switch to “Kitchen Light” instead of “Aeon/GE Switch” it picks up on it but by default if I say “turn off all lights” the only ones that are controlled are smart lights not and smart light switches.

So we do not necessarily classify a switch as a light because a switch can control anything (though lights are for sure the most common case). The same goes for outlets, we do not know what is connected to them.

Our solution is what you discovered, we look at the name and if the name hints that it is indeed a light we classify it as such.

2 Likes

Makes sense, but for dimmer switches what are the other use cases besides lights?

Probably not many other realistic use cases, but maybe some types of variable fans (like a airflow-boosting fan for HVAC vents) can perhaps work with a dimmer switch. Just thinkin’ out loud

You are correct, the Leviton three speed fan controllers for example show up as dimmers.