Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

Nope! False alarm…

Had to unlink and relink account to update the device list (against my better judgment). Now when I link the account, it says it is successful, but the device list is empty, and Smartthings does not show in the linked services.

so I’ve been able to unlink and relink easily by clearing the app data for the google home app on my phone, for some reason if you add/remove/name change something in smartthings, it won’t sync to google home and voice control won’t work. once i cleared out the app data, i was able to relink right away and the changes to the devices was instant.

Just to be clear, if you have successfully linked and see the new “Google” smartapp in your list of installed smartapps. Any future additions or removal of devices should sync to Google within a minute, unless you have turned off “Allow Google Assistant to access all devices and routines”. Then you have to manually check the newly added device before it shows up in Assistant.

Also, once you have the Google smartapp installed, the old “The Google Assistant” app can be safely removed.

1 Like

If you are having issues with linking or unlinking and are unable to PM me, you can email me at lars@smartthings.com, I will need to know your:

1. SmartThings account
  2. Google account
  3. Have you ever used multiple Google accounts inside Google Home/Assistant
  4. Are you using an Android or iOS device
  5. Do you see devices in Google Assistant listed under “Virtual devices”

All this info will help Google further debug the problem.

Thank you.

1 Like

This still doesn’t work for me @Lars. Using Android. Can’t add smartthings into google home. Same message as everyone else. I’ve checked and I do use a custom thermostat (for Hive) but it doesn’t include the switch entry so theres nothing to comment out.

David

I can link accounts but google shows all ST devices, even if I disable the ones I don’t want in the Google ST app
Have tried so far:
unlinking and relinking from google assistant
unlinking and relinking from smartthings
restarting all devices

I’m running latest google home with st hub v2

EDIT: forgot to add, I’m using Android.

1 Like

Yep, same problem. Not much point if I want a direct integration between Home and Hue, now I have 2x of everything.

Why doesn’t this work the same way as for Alexa?

1 Like

Same setup here, same issues, and same attempts to resolve. I’d really like to remove my Hue, Nest, and Harmony devices to rely on native connectivity between those services and Google Home.

1 Like

Same thing for me @Lars . I’m using iOS. Images attached. I don’t know why google assistant app shows ALL my devices when I’ve changed access already in ST app.

This is so frustrating!

1 Like

I know this is going to sound stupid and I don’t disagree, but have you tried some good ol’ “off-on” type of work to shake that issue loose?

I haven’t run into this particular issue for a while, but it was failry common when they (Google + ST) rolled out this particular change to how the integration works.

I don’t have a sure-fire step-by-step sequence to offer, but what has worked for me with this in the past is to first try fully closing out of both apps (on iOS, I do that by holding the power button down until I get to the shutdown screen, release it, and then hold down the Home/Touch ID button until the screen returns back to the Home screen - that can take up to ~10 seconds).

Then open the ST app, go to the “Google” entry in SmartApps, and verify that your selections are all still listed as desired - on that screen, then click on “Done” in the upper right corner to refresh it all once again.

Then re-open the Google Home/Assistant app and see if that worked - maybe, maybe not…

If not, then try unlinking and re-linking your ST account within the Google Home/Assistant app itself. Sometimes - for whatever reason - it just takes another go-around of the whole setup for it all to finally stick.

Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve done that numerous times, as I assume most people here have. No luck!

Noticed this same problem today after updating the Google Home app… though NOT sure when the problem actually started.

The problem seems to happen when ADDING or ‘Checking for new devices’ for Samsung Smartthings on Google Home. It resets to ALL devices.

I go to Automation/SmartApps on Smarthings app and selectively choose the devices i want Google to access. I save the changes and then go back into VERIFY that my selections are saved correctly.

I then go to Google Home app and ask it to Check for new devices… hoping it will then just detect my selected devices. It brings EVERYTHING back.

I then go to Smartthings app to check my choices again and i see that the toggle has been reset to “Allow Google Assistant to access all devices and Routines”

We have confirmed and can reproduce the problem of Google Assistant showing all devices regardless of which ones are sent from SmartThings. They are investigating.

I’ll keep you posted!

1 Like

cvee, we have actually not seen this particular issue with settings changing back to “Enable all devices”

Can you clarify the step “Go to Google Home app and ask it to Check for new devices”?

Hi Lars,

Apologies for my earlier explanation.
Once i set the devices i want in Smartthings ‘Google Assistant’ smartapp, i go to Google Home app.
I choose Home Control, and then press the + button to Add device page.
Here i select the SmartThings / Samsung Connect device (that was already added), and it gives me 2 options :-
Unlink Account
Check for new devices

I choose Check for new devices… which i assume connects to Smartthings api to find any NEW devices.

Here it returns everything.

Now i go back to Smartthings app, and when i check ‘Google Assistant’ smartapp… it no longer shows the devices i selectively chose initially. It has enabled toggle “Allow Google Assistant to access all devices and Routines”

So it appears that the actions within Google Home app to to link/scan new smartthings devices resets the user configuration directly made in Smartthing app.

I hope that’s a little clearer… maybe. :wink:

Google has identified the issue, tentative fix day is Thursday 10/26. No promises though since it is out of SmartThings control.

1 Like

@cvee
Are you on IOS? the function to check for new devices isn’t there for me on android

Yes. On iOS.

1 Like

Anyone know if this got fixed? @Lars said it might be today.

Unfortunately, they postponed the date to next Tuesday10/31

3 Likes