Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

@Lars, you’re right. I unlinked (again), did a hard reset (holding the mute button 15 sec) and then re-added again and renamed all of them. This time it works.

Pretty messed up that Google and Samsung couldn’t test this before executing the changes. Or at least inform us before that they would cause this trouble.

Great that it works again. You’re awesome Lars

@Scotty I sent @Lars my google login and he sent that to google. Under 12 hours google refreshed my account and I went in this morning and linked everything up and all is working perfect. Get with Lars, he can get google to fix it for you. Not sure why you have been waiting for so long.

@Lars I still seem to be unable to PM anyone. My Google account is the same as in SmartThings, if you can glean that info.

I was asked to unlink my smart home devices to update my GH and now when I go to relink them it acts like I still need to link them even though ST show up in my linked devices list. Any ideas?

Hmm. Ok, but I had done two full clean resets of the GH and reinstall of the app to no effect, so this was the only delta I could see. Happy to have you look at my setup in case there’s some other problem, as I’d like to revert to the previous setup if possible.

I spoke with Google Home support regarding this.

To give you an idea of the steps I took:

1. Unlinked Smartthings account from Google Home App and removed Google Assistant from Smartapps under Automations in Smartthings.
  2. Removed my Smartthings account from my phone.
  3. Force closed my app
  4. Uninstalled Google Home
  5. Factory reset my Google Home
  6. Redownloaded Google Home app.
  7. Setup Google Home
  8. Went into Home Control in the Google Home app.
  9. Still saw the same “virtual and other devices”

So Google Support asked me to do the following:
Say "OK Google. Send Feedback"
Then say “GHT3 Home Automation Duplicate”

He informed me that will flag your account for the duplicate issue if the above steps did not work so when a fix is released, the linked Google account and Google Home will be patched first.

1 Like

I’m now showing both the new “Google” and the old “The Google Assistant” smartapp on ST’s smartapp screen on both my older 5.1 Android and newer 6.1.1 Android phones.

Count me among those who was fixed by Lars. I still haven’t heard back from Google support but Lars got me sorted.

This is exactly what just happened to me after I received an email from Smartthings telling me that I needed to unlink everything. I did as the email said and first attempted to control one of my linked lights and Google Home confirmed that I needed to update. Now after unlinking and relinking my accounts, I can’t add any of the devices back. Thanks for the email Smartthings!!!

I can’t even unlink my ST hub from GH getting message Couldn’t update settings, check your connection. Frustrating

Seriously guys, just PM Lars (in this thread). He had me sorted in a couple of hours.

I just got called back from Google Home support and they said this was an ongoing issue that my ticket was being escalated but they couldn’t fix it. I told them “Lars from Smartthings was able to get with someone in google and figure it out” and it was like explaining particle physics to a dog.

Right now ST support > GH support.

So I finally got my sorted out. I was unable to relink my ST account to Home. I ended up uninstalling google Home on my android phone and reinstalling. Rebooted my GH from the app. I was then able to link. Hope that helps someone.

I believe my problem is finally solved by Lars. The newer Google smartapp is now showing instead of both Google and the old Google Assistant from ST smartapp screen. Devices are properly linked and responding to voice commands properly

I can’t PM but have the same problem, with no custom thermostat. I am not a power user and only have lights on my smartthings hubs and used GH to turn them off and on. GH pushed me to unlink my devices for an update. I did that and went to relink, but get the white screen with a later black pop up message that says “Something went wrong. Try again”. I factory reset my GH, and then the smartthings hub. Now use the same email account for both. All the lights are back on the smartthings and working, but I can’t load the GH. I tried from the main settings page and the device settings page in the Home app to no avail. Smartthings does not show a GH smartapp to delete, neither does the ide page. Any thoughts?

Can’t unlink ST account from GH. Need to post something here since this is my first post so I can PM Lars (apparently) to seek his help since I’ve tried everything written in these posts so far with not luck.

Ok…post to allow PM didn’t work. Usually can figure this stuff out on my own, but I’ll run down my issue in hopes that I get a reply before I just unplug everything and light a candle.

Required ST update on the GH side kind of messed with things. I had duplicates. I was able to resolve them, but had swapped some lights and telling GH to turn on bedroom light and it was turning on bedroom and the living room light. It was annoying. Today was able to successfully unlink my ST account from GH. Fiddled around. Nothing worked. Finally figured out what the issue was (I had the living room light in the bedroom group on the ST app) Anyways, went to unlink the ST account to start fresh and for the past 4 hours I cannot unlink the ST account from GH. I’ve factory reset both GH devices, uninstalled GH app. At a loss. Just to be able to use my GH, I re-linked my Hue bridge so I can use my lights. Of course, now GH says “Turning off XXX light. I’m sorry there was an error…” Hue is working, ST giving me error. Didn’t really want to bore everyone with this, but have to vent to someone. Thanks.

Typical Google. Day by day they are doing their damndest to ensure I replace every Android thing I own.

Looks like I’ll be ordering an echo…

I too was struggling with connecting with GH and ST. When I complete this pilot project I will have configured 9 ST Hubs with 20+ devices associated with each hub. Each hub will have a dedicated tablet and Google Home.

Let me start with saying that there were no temperature control devices in my configurations…

Here’s where I went wrong and I’m sure that others followed a similar path. As I became more familiar with ST, various vendor products/devices, trying add-ons for collection of data, playing with web-browser tiles, etc. I found that usernames were co-mingled across multiple tablets, with some as having as many as 5 google accounts. I first encountered the issue last week, after many calls and IM sessions with google support that did nothing but waste my time. I was able to resolve the issue on my own and see all my ST devices, virtual switches and routines. Unfortunately I was trying too many things at once and was not able to replicate the fix when I encountered the issue with a different pair of ST & GH devices.

Today I took a different approach. I had out of the box success when I started with a clean tablet, ST hub and GH device that was only accessed by a single user.

1. Remove all extra google accounts from the device in question
  2. Check all of the google accounts in (1) and make sure that they only have one Google Home Managed app (and that was allocated for a working pair of GH and ST)
  3. Go to Settings and Select Google Home and purge data and cache from storage
  4. Uninstall Google Home
  5. Go back to settings and clean up all cache, and unused data
  6. Restart device
  7. If you linked any of the accounts having issues with other ST hubs, remove those
  8. Reinstall google home
  9. Factory reset the google home device
  10. Go into google home and do a fresh configure
  11. Optional – add your linked ST accounts back if needed

FYI – to aid in my understanding of ST and related devices, I built a test bench to show the team prior to deploying the other 8 hubs… Photo attached

Multiple GE Smart Dimmer & Add-On Switches, smart bulbs, 3 different motion sensors, 3 different contact sensors (behind the doors)

I’m unable to unlink my SmartThings account from my Google Home.

Here’s what I’ve been trying… I go into the Google Home app on my Android device, select the menu button, select Home control, hit the blue plus sign, select SmartThings from the list of linked services, select Unlink account, select Unlink, and the response I receive states: “Couldn’t update the setting. Check your connection”. I’ve tried this repeatedly, and it’s not working.

Other things I’ve tried… I’ve factory reset my Google Home device, I’ve cleared my phone’s cache and uninstalled/reinstalled the Google Home app. I also went into the SmartThings app, selected Automation, then SmartApps, selected the Google Assistant, and removed it. As for the SmartThings app itself, everything is still working correctly. I have no duplicate devices and I’m still able to control lights and monitor sensors.

I need to unlink my SmartThings account from Google Home per suggestions on this SmartThings forum post. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

@scott_allan PM me the Google account you are using in Google Assistant/Home and I can take a look!

1 Like

Same issue I had. Lars was able to get it sorted for me, shoot him a PM

1 Like