Good morning routine failed again

Just an FYI for everyone. I have open Tickets on both of these issues. Please report any issues so they know that it is more widespread.

Routines: My Good Morning Routine has failed every morning for the last 8 days. ST is working on it but can’t identify the problem and haven’t gotten back to me. Mine is triggered by Motion inside a time window. Not just time.

CoRe: I have moved my Mode changes to Core becuase even when they were all that was in the Routine, they were still failing. And now they are failing in Core. I also reported this to ST last week when everyone was having trouble with Core. They said they would get back to me when they had answers. And since they have not, I assume that they are still working on the problem.

1 Like

lollollollolicopter.

Anyone that works at ST with a ST deployment OR a computer knows routines are not reliable.

Though it stopped working the same time CoRe stopped executing properly as well. So coincidence…or other…I certainly have no idea. It worked flawlessly until then.

If you have submitted a ticket to support, please DM me the ticket number. If not, shoot me a DM with your ST account email address

1 Like

@lmosenko What is the current link to CoRE when i click on the link it says Obsolete ?

The first sentence in the now obsolete thread says “kindly follow us here” and that here is a clickable link to the current thread. But it’s easy to miss if you’re just glancing over it. Here’s the direct link:

1 Like

My good night routine also failed to fully execute last night and took a manual trigger to force it to finish. This happens every couple of months and I have opened several tickets on it. It seams once ST gets the code fixed, someone else comes along with a new ‘feature’ and breaks it again.

Link to previous posts with ticket numbers: How to make routines change mode?

For the lazy: #214627, #129816, #182092, #176780, #129816

4 Likes

I moved all my routines to CoRE.

More flexible, reliable, and debuggable and now I can leave simple “routines” available for my GF to use from the widget. Win win.

3 Likes

You can do this in CoRE too. Use “notification”.

What devices are you using with this routine?

One of the core problems with ST is that some of the community apps are more reliable. One would think that the official apps to through a set of tests that they could be trusted. I’d be embarrassed.

I don’t see it as a problem, but a strength. I prefer to work with systems that allow my participation in improvements. I hope ST copies the hell out of CoRE and the way it works to improve their own SmartApps. That’s the point of Open Source and open API’s.

In addition, the community collectively spends more time using the product than ST does. They spend time in reality. The problem with engineers is that they often design for the perfect world and are unable to take into account the real world to the level of the consumer. I spent years working in quality departments, ask me how I know this, I dare you… :wink:

Have a strong community to complement ST is one thing, depending on it to fix your mistakes is another.

1 Like

[quote=“bridaus, post:25, topic:57367”]
The problem with engineers is that they often design for the perfect world and are unable to take into account the real world to the level of the consumer…[/quote]

Hey, I resemble that remark :unamused: :expressionless: :slight_smile:

Good morning!!! (ha ha ha, delayed, as it is now well into the PM hours)

It has not failed, it’s just slow…

4 Likes

Yes, but this would be a pre-fabbed message. For example, it will give me a message saying “Everything happened that you wanted!” whereas using a routine, if I ask it to lock the door and it fails, the notification will tell me this. Routines use dynamic notifications vs the static, pre-programed notifications in CoRE.

@JH1 For example, here is a notification I have received from my Good Night routine:

“Good Night. I am already in Night mode as you requested. I confirmed that the locks are already set according to your preferences. I turned off the living room lamp”

Now, if the house wasn’t previously in Good Night (my Good Morning routine failed.), it would have told me it changed the mode to Night, etc. So based on the devices current status, and if it is changed, it will report accurate notifications.

By using CoRE notifications, I can type up the notification to display however it will not be dynamic. It will be a present message that runs every time, whether the doors lock or not. @ady624 can confirm this, should I be missing something.

[EDIT] On a side note, I’m noticing that My Good Morning routine has failed every day, since 9/6/16. That’s as far back as I went in Notifications to determine this, but at least I can confirm this is happening to me as well. Mine’s unnoticeable since all it does is change the mode to ‘Home’ at a certain time.

I see. That makes sense and I forgot about that.

I am wondering if there is a good way to a core piston to execute then followup with routine. Almost like a series of followup routines that execute the items you want to confirm… So you run good morning, which a piston sees and runs a series of actions, then last kicks off a ‘good morning followup’ routine which does the critical items again and THUS you get the notifications you want as well.

And this is actually something I might do for going to Night mode and Away modes… as I want confirmation certain things have happened. I am not jumping on this right away however, because I am not sure I will read through those details and catch what is missed.

I’m not sure what you are trying to demonstrate? Is it the notifications? If so, that still doesn’t achieve what I was referring to as it’s not dynamic.

If you were trying to explain how to use CoRE to change modes, that I understand. My hesitation with this is the level of notifications I receive that verify the state of the things in question.

1 Like

I was trying to demonstrate both things you discussed above.

1. you can enter what you want to be told.
  2. you can test for conditions and be notified that an event has failed.
  3. you can initiate a correction.