Gledopto Zigbee RGB controller

If you already have a hue bridge then it’s worth trying, I was told by the RGBgenie people that that should work also so I would think for yours it would too. But if you don’t have one I’m not sure I would spend the money on it unless you really can’t wait a month or so until SmartThings gets it working.

Hi MacBen,

Can’t explain why it fails to pair for you.

I have 2 different models of the Gledopto and the connect in seconds as a Thing.

I have ST v2 too.

Nobody in your area who can try your ctrlr?

Grtn Ben

It might simply be a different firmware version of the controller. When I talk to the RGB genie people and told them what the SmartThings staff said they understood the problem and said they might be able to make a firmware change to correct it. But that didn’t help the controller I had in my hands.

I tried to lookup the firmware version of my Gledopto, but it isn’t shown anymore.

Not only for the Gledopto, but also a Hue bulb isn’t shown the firmware!

“Feature” of the new ST firmware (24.11)?

I thought maybe someone with an Alexis who pairs the Gledopto without problem could compare the firmware, but I can’t tell either. Strange…

Grtn Ben

I also have one that won’t pair to ST, same issues as on here

I just tried it with my Lightify hub and it paired straight away so confirmed controller OK.

Update:

So I messaged Tom Manley how is a ZigBee developer here at SmartThings and is active on the forums. Here was his response:

It is the same issue as the RGBGenie. The device is using the wrong Zigbee profile ID for messages it sends to the hub during discovery so the hub is not processing the messages so the discovery process fails. Our plan is to change the hub discovery code to ignore the profile in these messages in an upcoming FW release (likely 0.25 coming in early '19) which should fix the problem.

He was very helpful and helped me pair up the controller by:

1. reset the controller and search for a new thing from the classic app
  2. check the HUB events log and find a raw log (coming from the Gledopto controller)
  3. take the 4 character device ID form the log and add a new device, set it to a ZLL RGBW bulb

Unfortunately, there is still a communication issue between the controller and the hub. Either the device handler is bad or the controller is in an invalid state. I can send it messages but they go unanswered. Occasionally the controller will send a message that seems to be counting up, bu nothing else, excuse me I am a bit out of my depth on this one.

The solution I went with was to buy a cheap Hue bridge of ebay… The hue paired within seconds to the Gledopto controller and works flawlessly. I was then able to add the Hue hub, which added the Gledopto controller and control it directly through SmartThings. Hopefully they will get it working with the next firmware update, until then there is at least a workaround.

1 Like

The other issue, which I’ve tried to explain to some of their developers on GitHub, is these types of controllers don’t have a color temperature. Instead they have a white channel. The issue is with it following the bulb profile as the color temperature goes up the cold white goes down and the warm white goes up. Problem is with these controllers the white channel is the cold white channel. So your white is the inverse of what you think it should be.

I.e. Even if the device handler worked with your device it’s not going to work correctly. Although I was not able to generate a catch-all event like you were so at least that’s progress.

Edit: If you want to try the device connected directly to your hub again I have a dth you can try. It was written for the RGBgenie device but I have a feeling it would work with your controller too.

The device works with the Hue controller although I have a rgb+ww (warm white) LED strip. There are 2 lights color and white. The white color is the only thing that works strangely and that is when I change the color temperature higher the warm white dims and eventually goes out at the highest color temperature. I’m guessing it is trying to balance the warm white and cold white (which does not exist).

Send me the RGBgenie handler code and I’ll give it a shot tomorrow.

Yup…thats exactly the problem. For a RGB bulb the 4th channel is Warm White and the 5th channel is Cool White. As the temperature goes from 2700K to 6500K the 4th channel fades down and the 5th channel fades up. Your controller only has the one channel for white so what you see is as the “temperature” goes up your white actually turns off. IT also doesn’t make any sense since most RGBW controllers don’t have temperature but a simple 0 - 100% white channel just like the R G and B channels.

“Bulbs” DTH’s don’t work correctly for “controller” DTH’s.

Lemme see what I can do for the correct DTH…

Hi @Ryan123,

With the highest color temperature the WW led goes off. That sounds correct.

Warmwhite is at 2000K and Coolwhite at 6500K (lower and upper limit).

PS
I have the RGB-CCT controller and the CW/WW controller from Gledopto.

Where you able to connect the Gledopto controller at all using @tpmanley 's advice? I think I see my controller’s dni which is a 4-digit code that comes up in the logs a few minutes after I attempt to pair, but I don’t see any device come up or an option within the classic app to set a ZLL RGBW bulb.

ST Hub v2, Gledopto RGB+CCT

It connects but does not seem to work, I do see occasionally see messages from the controller when I try to perform actions like tuning it off and on. To do this you have to create a new device manually through the SmartThings developer portal, it will not automatically come up as a new ‘thing’. Just use the 4 digit code as the new device dni.

After connecting the Thing, did you change the DTH / driver?

Here I have “ZLL RGBW” chosen for the Gledopto RGB-CCT controller via the web site IDE.

Grtn Ben

Yes the ZLL RGBW as well as the RGBW Bulb and either one worked.

I complain with gledopto and they sent me another one. this one is working perfectly with smartthings and I tried to check the firmware but smartthings doesn’t show it. I tried to pair it with my hue bridge to check the firmware and it’s not working with it… Anyway my old controller doesn’t work with smartthings but work perfectly with hue bridge and it has firmware 1.3. Someone is able to check the firmware with the one working with smartthings?

I have two different Gledopto controllers, the CW/CC & RGB-CCT version. Both DTH don’t show the firmware, only the option for checking the firmware. Can’t tell you…

Strang that the Hue Candle isn’t showing the firmware either.

Only bulb I see the firmware is the Ikea Tradfri GU10s.

PS I changed the DTH so the Gledopto controller can show “real” Warmwhite, 2000K. I noticed that the LED strip wasn’t that nice WW at 2700K, the CW led was also dim on.

At 2000K the WW leds are on & the CW leds are off.

Grtn Ben

Has anyone tried pairing the gledopto after fw upgrade 24.20?
Mine failed like som many other on the 24.11 fw… (i have not been home in a while so wonder if the upgrade did anything?..

@tpmanley - Last we talked, a couple months ago (Re: RGBgenie - ZigBee 3.0 RGBW Controller - v2 & v3 Hub dont see it?), you said there was going to be a change in the firmware so that these types of devices can be discovered easier. Is that still the plan and if so is there any timeline? If I had to guess this device and the RGBgenie that I’ve been working with are doing the same thing. After talking to the rep for that product they told me a customer got it working on SmartThings but most can’t (assuming different firmware versions).

I have a V3 SmartThings hub - latest firmware 000.024.00022 and the RGB+CCT LED Controller (model #GL-C-008) when looking at the SmartThings Webapp.

I was able to pair by “finding” it with the classic app and then saving it. The newest SmatThings app wouldn’t find it. Weird? When I opened up the “new app” the “THING” was there. I changed it as many suggested by changing the driver to ZLL RGBW Bulb. Now able to control the strip. Sweet!

However, is there anyway to do animations with the thing? Or is this all I get? Any help would be appreciated!

-W

Unfortunately using that device type gets it working (a little quirky since white might be reversed) doesn’t enable any other features. Is there any info in the manual for your device that says it does the other stuff? If so possibly a custom DTH might unlock the extras.

1 Like