Ghosts in the machine (STHM notifications)

Hello All.

I apprecciate that there is a hell of a lot going on in the background with SmartThings at the moment which inevitably could cause some issues.
Recently ive been getting daily false triggers on my motion sensors.

The way I have my house set up, i have multiple motion sensors in each room within SmartThings. I have Ring Alarm sensors on doors and windows and motion and also internal cameras. You cant get into my house or through to certain rooms without triggering lots of sensors.

Smartthings is sending me notifications of motion, sometimes over 100+ times a day from random sensors. Staggered throughout my house

Ok it could be a fly or a bug or something. But on random sensors throughout the house within seconds of one another is a bit odd. The important thing is the above - there is no way only one or two randomly could be triggered, it would be all.

I looked into this a bit more when some automations were randomly triggering. The issue is not limited to physical devices, it includes virtual.

Anyone else experienced the same thing?

@nayelyz could you shed any light on this?

Thank you all in advance

This time of year one of the most common reasons for false alerts from PIR motion sensors is gusts of warm air from the heating system kicking in. :fallen_leaf:

And since PIR sensors look for CHANGES in heat levels, days when the heating system keeps turning on and off because you’re right near the margins of the setpoint are particularly prone to multiple false alerts.

Just one more thing to check for.

3 Likes

May be completely unrelated, but mine tend to go off a lot this time of year because my wife junks up our front porch with Halloween decorations that blow in the wind.:rofl:

3 Likes

Yep agreed and Id have that if i had my heating was turned on and if the other 2-3 sensors in the room triggered too, not just the one. Also, virtual devices are triggering.

I have a door sensor open/close on a safe. Its closed. Its online. Every day, several times a day its detecting as open, very frustrating.

@eric182 :joy:

Ok, if virtual devices are triggering, that’s a whole different issue. Have you checked the author thread for those virtual devices to see if other people are having problems?

Otherwise it does sound like some kind of platform issue. :thinking:

Yes ive mentioned it to @TAustin and he has certainly seen some odd things happening too.

Ive just seen another thread about STHM playing up. Could all be related.

I guess to make an omelette you need to break some eggs. All comes good in the end

1 Like

Some weird things I’ve experienced lately:

• motion sensor with supposedly dead battery was causing constant toggling of active/inactive state in SmartThings - driving SHM crazy; battery replacement stopped it
  • newly created devices sometimes slow to display in app; partial elements shown on Controls screen or nothing at all; other people reporting blank Settings screens; it does seem to resolve itself
  • Random mobile presence glitch triggered SHM which in turn started arming my security system (all while I was home)
1 Like

Hi, @welshbryn. I haven’t heard of this, do you know if these devices with the “false” events are using DTH or Edge drivers?
An easy way to identify this is:

1. Entering to the device’s details
  2. Selecting the menu (three-dot symbol in the upper right corner)
  3. Checking if the option “Driver” appears. If so, it would be super helpful to know which driver is it.

Hi.

They have not been added as edge drivers, they are using stock D/H from within SmartThings. They are all bar one, SmartThings branded devices.
Ive not changed them to edge because i was hoping they would just migrate over at some point
I did try to re-add my front door sensor (this isnt showing any false reading) after a battery change and despite having open/close edge drivers I could not get it to add as an edge driver at all even with a total reset

I will swap out batteries. I have noticed that even some brand new batteries (amazon specials :joy:) are reporting only 40-50% from new.
I will change these for a decent brand

It depends on their situation, there’s more info about that on this FAQ page:

This means there isn’t a driver installed compatible with the device and the device’s fingerprint isn’t available in the default channel (the one that gets installed automatically).
Was your device using a stock driver? First, you can check if the device’s fingerprint is included in the official driver. This is the repo:

Note: the link I shared redirects to the drivers included in the “default channel”. Here, not all the fingerprints included are enabled. If you see the symbol # at the beginning of the text, it means it is disabled.

However, you can install the one in the Beta Channel which has all fingerprints enabled
Samsung account

About your issue with the events, I suggest you contact the Customer Support team, they should be able to analyze what could be affecting them.

Open here to see their contact info

Through the SmartThings Web page

1. Enter this page
  2. Click on “Support” in the upper-right corner
  3. Check if the URL includes your region. For example, en-us here: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us
  4. At the bottom, select “email” and describe your issue as detailed as possible.
  5. Click on “submit”

From the ST app

1. Open the SmartThings app
  2. Go to the menu tab at the bottom-right corner.
  3. On this page, select the option “contact us” and then go to “Report a problem”
  4. Accept the generation of logs, fill up the form describing your issue as detailed as possible, and screen captures of the issue always help.
  5. Click on “submit”. The Customer team will receive this info.

Via email

US: 1-866-813-2404
US: support@smartthings.com
UK support 0333 0000333
UK: support@smartthings.co.uk
CA: support@smartthings.ca

Hi.

Yes my devices are stock smartthings devices and i have the appropriate edge drivers installed.

Without being disrespectful, customer support are not currently on form it would seem. Ive had issues with my Aeotec AerQ sensor. Their reply was that it was using custom code unsuported by ST. I was able to show them it was actually using Aeotecs code from their website, not custom at all. My issue remains.
They have also still been unable to resolve an issue with some sockets - luckily community members stepped in and they are sorted. The stock edge driver for the officially supported socket is still broken. That conversation has been going on since June and still not sorted.
I do get your all flat out busy with making the platform great. But recently Its left me feeling a little disappointed with how its being handled.

1 Like

Can you share the fingerprints of the device that can be connected to the driver, please?
Also, please help me run this command in the CLI (here are the instructions to set it up, let me know if you have any questions):

smartthings edge:drivers:installed

About this, which of the stock drivers is broken? This is something we can help you with, if all the info is in the ticket with Customer Support, please share its number.

About this, I see this device is supported in the Z-Wave Sensor driver, here is the fingerprint. Have you checked if it works better with it? You can share the ticket number to see your description.