Get ready to make the switch!

We would probably need to see screenshots of the automations and scenes to determine what was going on. I know you can’t use two scenes if they happen to have the same device in both.

1 Like

Anybody else just lose all of their room sorting settings in the iOS app?

My rooms are fine but they do lose their sorting every now and again on their own (not related to signing out/in)

Hey, @georgeh. I posted concerns about zwave control in the new app here Get ready to make the switch! and had a similar issue to you. Zwave control in the new app sucks, devices can be deleted but no force remove. I really hope they fix this or I’ll probably end up moving all my zwave devices to something else.

1 Like

Had the same issue. Just added back one of my old aeotech nano and server was down for about 2 minutes and when it came back up my rooms were out of order. First time for me. I’m on 32.06. Maybe it was a beta update issue this time.

Sorry, I stated that wrong, you can only run one scene per automation. That’s what I get for trying to do this from memory and not have looked at it before hitting the keyboard…
So goodbye automation should run the scene for good bye, then the all lights off scene; and the good night automation, the night scene and all lights off scene, for instance. I think of scenes as reusable pieces of code you can use in combination so you don’t have to repeat code. Instead I have an automation that triggers on certain mode changes and runs the all lights off scene. So night and away mode trigger that automation and the light turn off, just increases complexity… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to clarify, I was not able to unpair/delete using the classic app. Also tried a 2ndary hand-held controller for the exlusion, which I think would not be dependent on the ST infrastructure, but that failed as well. But you’ve reinforced my thinking that I should have the network working “well” before triggering the migration itself.

2 Likes

When you say “no force remove”, what do you mean? Are you referring to putting the hub into Exclusion mode? You can do that.

In the new app, navigate to your hub, then click the ellipsis (…), then choose “Z-wave utilities”, then “Z-wave exclusion”

I have automations that run more than one scene. It’s exactly as you described, a piece of code that can be inserted in the automation. So I think again it must come down to the exact details of which devices you have in the scenes.

Yes I’m aware it has exclusion mode. However, if the zwave device dies, it can’t exclude this way. You need to be able to force remove a failed device from a zwave network.

The old App gave you the option to do a force remove after exclusion was unsuccessful. The new app does not. Sure it deleted the device from the IDE and app, but it remains in the zwave network as a ghost.

2 Likes

Tim I had to do this the other day in NewApp. On exclusion failure, Force remove did appear and worked. (I did verify the device was removed from the IDE)

2 Likes

Ahh, I see, when I see a round icon by and item, that’s usually to me a single select radio button, square boxes are for multi select. So I was trying to select a scene click done and then expect to hit Run Scenes again to select the second scene… But I see now! Thanks

I had exactly that same issue (thinking the icon meant I could only select one) with the “If’s“. We talked about it in one of these threads.

It’s even worse when you’re listening to it, which I do, because it calls it a “button“ and that just isn’t a multiple-choice option. But it’s the way they designed it. :thinking:

I went through force remove a couple weeks ago when adding new shades that didn’t join properly on the first try. Force remove came up saying it couldn’t remove because the device was working properly. I can’t say for sure what happened after that first message since more anger was involved than science, but I ended up with it rejoined and working. The “Can’t exclude because it’s working” is a bit troubling though. In my mind, force remove should equate to dropping a nuke on that device. No argument. It’s gone.

2 Likes

Thanks @nathancu thats good to hear, maybe this is working now in the new NEW app update, or something goofy could have just been happening on my end (or operator error)

Force removing a zwave device is hopefully something you don’t have to do often, but needs to work right when it does.

1 Like

I had the same experience a couple of days ago. Was removing a Z-wave switch to replace with a Zigbee. Normal exclusion failed.

After two attempts I tried the force remove (Remove Anyway ?). And got the “it’s working properly” message. Ended up deleting it via the IDE and factory reset the switch.

Don’t think I have any ghosts, I got a clean Z-wave repair after finishing my changes.

2 Likes

@blake.arnold
Some sleepy devices will show offline when they are just asleep eg smartdry

I find this really annoying

2 Likes

My scenes do not work. Why fix something that isnt broken. I am having all kinds of issues. Samsung should compensate us or have a developer sit here and reset everything and make it work the way it did before.

2 Likes

Editing a simple automation in the old app was as simple as going to the relevant device, looking at the associated automations, finding the right automation to edit, edit, save, done

Why have automations in the new app still not been exposed to the relevant device/s on the devices page/UI

To me, inclusions like this would make the new app much more acceptable, when finally the dust settles somewhere in the future, the resultant ST app will be as functional and usefull as the old but the journey will be costly to everyone… the easier, less painfull route in hindsight would probably have been to have kept the old app look/feel/useability but updated here and there to the new back end connections and add polish to the old UI, the community would have accepted this but to start again with an app that is far less usefull than the old gets what it deserves

11 Likes

I started reading this thread to see which app was recommended (will start with V3, apparently). We just bought a V3 hub and I reckoned this thread was 15 to 20 messages long.

After 10 minutes, “How many more messages?” Saw the dates and was floored at how many unanswered questions remain.

Backend migrations work best with modularity—see Slack’s stunning success story here. It looks like ST is still figuring this migration out, just weeks before The Classic Sunset. Imagine if we had a “WhatsApp 2” or an “Instagram Reinvented”. Slack writes,

This new version of Slack has been a long time coming, and it features the contributions of dozens of people who have been working through the last two years to roll it out seamlessly to customers. The key to its success is the incremental release strategy that we adopted early on in the project: as code was modernized and features were rebuilt, we released them to our customers. The first “modern” piece of the Slack app was our emoji picker, which we released more than two years ago — followed thereafter by the channel sidebar, message pane, and dozens of other features.

I’m no enthusiast in automation nor expert in app migration, but when so many enthusiasts feel left out and plenty choose to abandon the platform, it’s a red flag.

I’ll keep the SmartThings Hub V3 receipt close by. My patience is already low, having understood how many smaller issues remain. Network outages (while still being predominantly cloud-based) are, well, the cherry on top!

Or maybe ST will turn out great and I’ll see everyone here around more often. Godspeed to you all.

6 Likes