Get ready to make the switch!

I use webCoRE to do this.

There is also an old Notify Me When smartapp that you can install from the Classic app but I don’t know if I would recommend it at this point.

1 Like

You can use webcore or sharptools. Both can do this with the new V3 app. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@jkp @JDRoberts thanks for the suggestion. Seems kind of counter-intuitive to be using Webcore for this since it seems one of the main benefits being touted for using the new app and migrating is local processing. If I’m moving a bunch of my notifications from something that was already local to something not local then it feels like I’m going backwards.

I have no problems using Webcore since I already use it for a bunch of other stuff, but it just seems like this whole migration is going backwards instead of forward.

3 Likes

Where did you hear this info? Automations in the new app are not local.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that except as a future promise for something they hope to have eventually. As far as I know, the new V3 app actually has a little bit less local processing than the classic app because they removed some of the local bits from the security feature and made those cloud-based.

Long-term, that may change, but it hasn’t right now. For right now, it’s still true that the only stuff that runs locally is the official smart lights feature. And not all of that.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/209979766-Local-processing

1 Like

I was able to make the virtual switches to make the STHM work with ActionTiles. Sorta clunky but it works - thanks for the lead on that.

I will also take a look at smart lighting. Where do I go to see that in the app? I don’t see it? Is that what is considered a “Lighting Group”? If so, I’ll try that out - no idea how it works.

Menu > SmartApps > smart lighting

jkp - The smart lighting sorta works for me, maybe I don’t know how to use it right. I have 4 light switches. When any one of them turns on, I want the other three to turn on. When any one of them turns off, I want the other three to turn off. I want them all to act as if they’re on a single switch. How do I get that to happen?

Use the mirroring option

1 Like

While I’m still not understanding your automation, I tested this on mine and I get the same thing. I built mine with “any condition” instead of “all conditions”. The automation works but you are correct in that when you click into it it shows “on” checked. Looks like a software bug. At any rate, it does work. If I turn one or the other off, it turns off the other one.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - that seems to work a lot better. Thank you. …and thanks to the others that pointed out the workaround for the virtual switches with the STHM - I appreciate it.

BTBradford - I was able to use the Mirroring functionality and that worked a lot better. I have 4 switches and I want them all to control each other as they were one. If any one of them turn on, the others turn on in the group. If any one of them turns off, the others turn off. Hope that makes sense. To use the mirroring, I’d have to make one rule for mirroring for each switch. I’d end up with four rules in the end which is fine.

Its definitely weird @jkm I COMPLETELY expected it to stop and saw it still working on my panel when I went to check. Although I didn’t uninstall SHM, I Did let migration do it for me - so I ended up with the stub screen without access to sensors on classic. I can still arm/disarm etc through classic

I know AT is connecting to that, now as to passthrough to STHM, I’m still trying to see if I have a random piston I setup synching SHM with STHM - but I haven’t found it yet. Doesn’t mean it’s not there - just I haven’t found it.

@blake.arnold I guess this promise was dropped sometime during your migration planning?

2 Likes

Can you let us know here if you find that connection to the old SHM? I’d prefer to only have one tile for STHM if I can…

Most unusual. From testing, webcore is unable to directly control SHM or STHM after migration.

I’m testing something right now… Fortunately I put logs in most of my pistons, unfortunately I have a lot of pistons to look at.

Maybe you have a mutant migration :wink:

2 Likes

I love the activity here in this thread. Are there other active threads for building automation for things like attic fans and such? It would be cool if there was a chat channel or something where there was a lot of activity like this.

1 Like

That’s great and I was not aware of mirroring until I read JKP’s post. To me your automation would work if it was ‘any’ instead of ‘all’ conditions. Glad you got it though!