Get ready to make the switch!

JDRoberts - are you talking about the “Simulated Alexa Switch”?
I really depend on those and create them using GroovyIDE.
I am concerned about how those will be supported and created going forward!

1 Like

Yes, that’s one example.

2 Likes

does anyone know why Montary Button Tiles to control devices no longer works in the new app? says cannot connect to device…

Have you tried toggling it in the classic app first?

What qualifies a users as “ready to migrate” by Samsung??

Read somewhere that in order to continue to be able to create virtual switches, you will have to have created at least one in the classic app. I guess this is just Samsung trying to make their lives simpler; if you don’t know what a virtual switch is anyway - we’re not gonna let you have the option moving forward. Wish it was the same for smartapps and custom dth’s.

That is a very good question. I got my Migration warning a couple of days ago. Logic would dictate Samsung might have migrated all the simple users first, while saving the headaches (madhatter automaters like many of us here) for last. However I have my doubts. For all we know they might have just gone through an alphabetical list of email addresses.

Staff said previously that the first group that was migrated were those who were using only simple official features and only had a few devices. No custom code at all initially. But that was some time ago.

1 Like

I just got my migration notice for my complex environment with many custom DTHs and SmartApps.

Among the many annoyances of the new app, is there a way to choose the primary attribute of a sensor device displayed on the tile? For instance I have ecobee temperature / motion sensors, and motion is the displayed attribute, but I want to see the temperature in the tile, etc.

what do you mean toggling it in the classic app? they work fine in the classic app. i changed all the momentary tiles to alexa switches in the IDE and it works, but not ideal.

It appears things are changing as the wind blows and it’s sickening to watch what is happening, witnessing fellow automaters having problems and getting dumped at the side of the road by Samsung’s hamfisted approach.

It’s pretty clear what may have happened here: Samsung decided to go all Apple Walled-Garden, catering for the 98% simple users who still think “Alexa, turn on the lights” impresses their friends. It would seem evident, the rest of us can go jump in a lake for all they care, as we are slowly being shuttered from essential features our automations depend on. Just to be served up a prettied-up and dumbed-down, slow as molasses ST app. Thanks, but no thanks.

Having received the migration banner a couple of days ago, I called ST support today. I was lucky to get a smart and honest individual on the horn and not one of the script-reading knuckleheads one sometimes has to deal with.

It was refreshing to talk to somebody who could provide some clear and honest direction and feedback on what would likely have blown up, had I been dumb enough to star the migration. I noted the following takeaways from the conversation:

1. Webcore isn’t just “unsupported” after migration. (It never was supported by Samsung in the first place, duh!) The reality is the Webcore SmartApp apparently becomes inaccessible in the new ST app, meaning you cannot add any further devices to it nor edit existing, the moment you migrate.

2. Actiontiles is the same. I understand Alex will be doing his best to adapt AT to the new platform, but at the same time he’s also working with the Hubitat guys to support that platform. Yes!

3. Samsung are continually reviewing the remarks from the community, noting who calls in and complains. Plans are thus “subject to change”. Not sure what anyone can use that for. Maybe they’ll change their minds, maybe they won’t. Maybe they’ll change it again. I for one can and will not base my future automation on that kind of uncertainty.

4. The tech estimated that because they are so overloaded, nothing will change before end of the year at the very earliest.

5. Eventually we will all loose access to the IDE. I believe this was also confirmed in an earlier post.

If nobody else will say it, I think it is downright disgusting what is happening; it bears the reek of some Samsung product marketeer Jobs-wannabe taking over something exceedingly cool and unique, and is now well underway perverting it into a bland vanilla consumer product, ditching the community who helped them were they got to today.

I for one will begin shortly migrating each and every device I own to Hubitat Elevation before we all run out of runway. Once complete, look forward to a video where I put my ST hub out of its misery, next time I’m on the range.

Samsung, I just want to express my joy that I don’t own any of your other products.
Consider this your eviction notice from my house.

10 Likes

Your support person may have seemed honest, but they aren’t accurate. #1 and 2 about adding new devices is absolutely not true. I can still add devices just fine to webCoRE, SharpTools, and any other third party Groovy smart app I use.

6 Likes

If also like to know the answer to this, I.e. how the migration works when you are sharing with other users…

I wonder if the other 98% of people you say they are catering to, does own Samsung products?

I will admit that most of my devices are non Samsung but I rely on their Cloud services with over 280 devices…Seems lopsided.

As pointed out by @Automated_House this is false. WebCoRE continues to function in the new app after migration. You can add devices. You can add/modify pistons.

There are some problems with the webcore smartapp in the new app but those have been present for some time. Basically there is no done button when adding devices but instead you get cancel or discard. If you select cancel, anything you selected is saved.

6 Likes

Where do I find what automation triggered an even in the New App?

Where do I find which SmartApps are associated with a device in the New App?

3 Likes

You don’t… We ABSOLUTELY need these and they need to be pushed higher on the dev priority list. Do what I did, open a ticket with support and complain about it so it’s logged in official channels.

5 Likes

You can look in the history menu in the new app to see device, scene and non-Groovy automation history

So no way of telling what WebCore piston is associated with the device etc?

Nope :frowning: