Get ready to make the switch!

Which SmartApp are you using there? Arlo has recently limited what type of conditions can be put on recording from within the SmartThings app. We’re still discussing with them but have to respect their wishes for what’s exposed in our app.

1 Like

We appreciate the support. This is the very reason we’re trying to get to a single app - it’s a confusing experience all around and it distracts from our ability to more rapidly develop in the new app.

The reason you got the email is because ANYONE who has shown signs of activity in classic and has a location that is active in the last year is being notified. We wanted to act out of an abundance of caution and make sure that no one was caught by surprise with this. A worst case scenario in our minds is that a user logs in one day and finds functionality unavailable without warning. We want everyone to be fully informed and aware and be able to provide as much parity in functionality as is reasonably possible.

6 Likes

@blake.arnold another showstopper app for me:

@bangali’ Rooms Manager:

Room Occupancy Device in Classic:

Same device class in New:

3 Likes

We figured this would be the biggest impact for our most advanced users. It’s also turned out to be one of the hardest things to do correctly within the architecture of the new app, which is why we’re moving cautiously. We’ll make sure you all have plenty of time to digest changes to custom capabilities and refactor where needed.

I would question the more stable and flexible. @Brad_ST has logged some bugs before Christmas what still hasn’t been fixed and causes frustration for new users as the app just crashes. And it is all just backend UX related. There are plenty ways to crash the new app.

The new ST app is delivered with all Samsung phones. Most of the users haven’t even got any idea what is it for. Using there needs in any “average user” determination is misleading the real result. Why can’t you give a straight answer? 300? People are hitting it easily on these forums.

I originally wanted to post in the other Child Device thread to please put on leash the Marketing/PR department because without the documentation it doesn’t make sense to change to the new app.
We are playing guessing game how to update our custom DHs to make work in the new app. But a single change in the DH causes the new app to crash. It goes this way for months. And we are asking for information for months or updates of the documentation, but nothing happens. But releasing an email about it is time to move happens. Please, think first before these acts.

When will be the well working camera functionalities transitioned into the new app? I am using @Rboy’s Foscam integration because the original ST integration has been abandoned years ago. (But available in the public repo.)
What about @pstuart’s camera integration which provides compatibility to basically almost any IP camera?

What about the community made projects. I am using the Smart Sprinkler made for the LinkSpriteR8. How would ST say that should work with one of the approved DHs. The new integrations are great, but there are plenty what has been built by people here and used by many. Another example is @erocm1231’s Sonoff integration. It has some functionality what hasn’t been migrated and are not in the settings.

What about users in the UK and Germany, just to mention the official regions. US support dodges any requests coming from those regions. UK support is about 4-5 people. Before Christmas when the Google Home integration went haywire they haven’t even replied to a genuine issue for a week. Luckily @Brad_ST helped the community again.

Please excuse me for the rant, but this announcement is bald. You can clearly see it from the reactions.

Edit: I missed the Xiaomi and Aqara integrations, and the Mi Connector and its device integration.

2 Likes

Hey Philippe - the new app won’t be able to provide the exact same UX that classic currently does as it doesn’t use tiles to render the visuals in DTHs or SmartApps. That’s where the UI metadata I’ve been mentioning comes in. More to come on this in the next weeks/month.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply!

YES! Thank you :slight_smile: We’re trying hard over here to make it a great experience. On a personal note, I’ve been running my home on the new app exclusively for the last 4 months and have had no major issues. I’m running 90+ devices, webCORE and a number of SmartApps and custom DTHs. I’ve noticed a few differences but nothing that has substantially impacted functionality - mostly just made me rethink how I was doing things. In the process, I’ve also noticed a lot better stability and faster execution of most of my automations and scenes.

5 Likes

Totally confusing.
I’ve looked at the new app…
It has limited functionality. Or very well hidden functionality.
Where are all the routines and smart apps that I’ve set up for my home? Perfectly visible and easy to access/modify in the classic app. Don’t appear on the new app.
What’s the point of migration, if the new app doesn’t even do what the old did so well?

Please do not take away the classic app until you can make an Arlo pro 2 camera record when a door contact is open or a motion sensor besides the one on the camera is activated. This can only be done in the classic app. I’m not sure why this critical item has not been addressed over the last year but it is a very important function of a security system.

3 Likes

Routines have been replaced by Automations and Scenes. You can set up Automations, Scenes and Smartapps by clicking + in the upper right of the screen. You can manage existing Automations, Scenes and Smartapps by clicking on menu (three bars in the upper left of the screen). You can also find some of the cloud-to-cloud connections by clicking on the menu, then settings (the cog icon) and selecting Connected services.

6 Likes

VoiceOver is the built in voice navigation system for iOS devices. It is used by Those who are blind or who, like me, have very limited use of their hands. It’s not an android feature.

Samsung promises universal accessibility in their design, but doesn’t always deliver.

BTW, my guess is it wouldn’t work on your android phone for a user who is blind, either: The field is incorrectly tagged for voice readers.

The Samsung accessibility feature for the galaxy is “Galaxy voice assistant.“

10 Likes

What about voice notifications in the new app. I have amazon echos and am not.looking to.buy sonos speakers.

@blake.arnold
Another showstopper:

@Alyc100’s Neato Botvac DTH:

Classic:

New:

2 Likes

11 Likes

From the FAQ:

1 Like

IMO, that isn’t a showstopper. It looks like the basic functionality of starting the vac via the switch is present.

@blake.arnold This is just an idea, and I don’t mind if you call me crazy, but wouldn’t it make sense, for users and most importantly you guys, to first finish the new app before you start transitioning users over? I know it sounds insane, but you’ve seen how far behind the new app is, don’t you guys want an easy life? Think about your support teams at least, already they are under pressure and not coping. Haven’t you had an internal discussion about when is best to do the transition? Did nobody put their hand up and say, “when the new app is ready”? Personally I think it’s clear the reason you’ve started this transition prematurely, when the new app is not even close to parity with the Classic, is that it never will be, you’ve admitted defeat, or else it would of been done by now. Community Developers on here been waiting for a year for vital information that will always be “revealed soon”, “near future”.

3 Likes

@prjct92eh2Jimmy, you can’t be serious man… Yes the on button starts it in default configuration but No you can’t control the other features of the device, like pause, mode, nor cancel out a cleaning in progress. There’s also a pending upgrade to select which room to clean on the botvac that support it that you won’t be able to do without multiple buttons or a drop down.

Agree with @nathancu: in my case, I can switch on/off my air-purifier but I cannot control the speed.
For the information tiles, I agree that the information is present as a text showing the events and we can still handle the events in new app, but for actuator aspect, you cannot handle a device if you cannot control all its actuators related features.

1 Like