Get ready to make the switch!

Yep - I should have been more clear on that. It will only allow you to select scenes that aren’t in conflict. Let me double-check this again on my home location. I’ve got a few automations/scenes set up much like what JDRoberts was suggesting - I’ll post examples later today.

2 Likes

Arming and disarming the SHM based on routines triggered when I arrive, leave or go to sleep is really the one feature I cannot live without and that only seems to be available in the classic app.

2 Likes

@RBoy are all of your apps supported in the new app.?

You can do this in the new app. It was added in late November for STHM :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just looked into this DTH. Looks like it will require the work we’re doing to update custom capabilties. Right now it likely won’t render correctly in the new app, but once the new functionality is out you’ll be able to refactor it and have it work. Keep using classic for now and we’ll be back with more on that shortly. We’ve budgeted in time for refactoring like this.

2 Likes

When I first started looking at SmartThings, long before I had a hub, all I was told as a new user was that I should use the ‘new’ app. The very existence and nature of the Classic app was something I had to discover for myself. The absurdity of this was that the ‘new’ app was, and is, such a massive lump that neither my then relatively new Samsung phone (not high end, but not low end either), nor any other phone or tablet in the house, was capable of running it, which meant it wasn’t even listed in Google Play in Android and so I was being guided to use something that effectively didn’t exist for me. That was just as well, as if I had been able to use the new app at the time I wouldn’t have touched SmartThings with a barge pole. Don’t get me wrong, the documentation for the Classic environment isn’t great, but it is at least trying to be welcoming, and once you get started it soon falls into place. The Developer Workspace, on the other hand, remains a ridiculously hostile environment.

Fast forward to a few months ago and I finally got a device capable of running the ‘new’ app. I have never understood why the primary UI for a cloud based system is through mobile apps and it has never occurred to me to routinely use the app(s) as a control panel for devices, so it was no big deal for me to quickly remove the Classic app totally. The only thing I really found puzzling about the new app was that there wasn’t any guidance about creating equivalents of the four default Hello Home routines in Classic. Clearly you can’t have empty automations as you can unconfigured Routines, but there was no quick start for novice users.

It was therefore a little ironic to have received the e-mail inviting me to get ready to transition to the new app, and to discover that there will be a migration tool to help me migrate my existing settings, when I’d never been encouraged to use the Classic app in the first place, and those discovering the new app for themselves are, relatively speaking, dropped in at the deep end. I’d actually have been curious to see how routines were migrated into automations and scenes, because I couldn’t find any way of truly replicating the functionality of routines without jumping through a shed load of hoops. However I am destined to be none the wiser. The irony I mentioned is that I now feel like I’ve somehow jumped the gun in having already transitioned, even though you didn’t want me on Classic in the first place.

It is a move forwards though, and that is the important thing.

3 Likes

Good info. Will make this my weekend project.

1 Like

@blake.arnold did you wake up today thinking this would be a “fun” day?

17 Likes

Thanks for the tag @JDRoberts

I’m curious on this too. So far, we’ve been getting tickets that the multi-channel devices do not work properly in the new app.

6 Likes

(Edited:) The lack of selections in the “turn on when” field is a bug. I just tested and it works fine on my device running Android 10. Guessing from the header you’re in iOS? Please confirm and I’ll get a ticket in.

3 Likes

We feel the same way too. Looking at the metadata, most (not all) of the custom DTHs out there would get the same functionality from an ST approved DTH. That said, we know that custom DTHs are the secret sauce on the platform for more advanced users.

This, for me, is the most important item. Get this in place and the gaps can mostly be filled. My current problems are mainly around this. Those custom capabilites and UI are what is lacking. Other than the inane, like virtual/simulated switches showing “offline”, but do actually work.

Just got the email.

Is there any clear “SOP” or guidance to follow in order to have my DTH and Smartapps working with the new app?
How can I progress in the migration?

In other words, how do I go:

3 Likes

There shouldn’t be any reason it won’t work in the near future. Right now, stick with Classic until we finish rolling out some of the more advance functionality.

Overall disclaimer - the reason we’re doing this in waves is we want to give users the longest possible heads up before taking any kind of deprecation action related to the Classic app. Functionality will continue to roll out in the coming months to meet advance functionality needs.

11 Likes

Well, I created the thread below a while back:

I can say that I am no longer in fear! The New App has come a loooooooooooonnnnnng way and it’s quite usable and even intuitive!

Then I created this thread yesterday:

So, I am going to go into this optimistically. I do understand that there are limits on actions in the New App which I don’t understand fully but hopefully, I’ll be able to redo alot of my rules to be more efficient and this give me my fix that I’ve been longing for!

ONWARD I SAY!!! ONWARD!!!

10 Likes

I went to bed early last night knowing this would be a “fun” day. :expressionless:

31 Likes

@blake.arnold is the migration starting today worldwide or only USA and Canada? The FAQ only has a support number for North America.

1 Like

I’m sorry if I’m not fully on top of all this, but last time I looked ate STHM it was not possible to implement entry/exit delays on selected zones (was all or nothing I believe?).
I don’t like to mess with a working system so I have left things alone and continue to use SHM and the SHM delay app.
What can we expect after the migration in this regard?
Also, are there any implications for ActionTiles users? Or, what about people who use the Konnected alarm modules?

Thank you,

Multi-component devices (MCDs) operate a little differently in the new app architecture. Instead of a parent/child relationship it’s a main component and sub component relationship. We’ll post some additional info on this and what it means for custom DTHs in the coming days. @Eric_Inovelli feel free to shoot me a direct message and we can talk more specifically about Inovelli devices.

5 Likes

I’m waiting until Sonos is fully supported in Webcore before I move.

1 Like

Sonos support in Webcore is independent of app migration

4 Likes