Get ready to make the switch!

So…has anyone else found a better hub or some solution I could use most all my equipment? I can’t even pair a simple door sensor (that worked before). I have been using Alexa and its routines are getting better… If anyone knows of a better hub for z wave please let me know. Not sure why ST went backwards but if I can not pair a simple door sensor from monoprice then this is now crap. Anyone have any words of hope for me??

1 Like
2 Likes

Hubitat. Mine will arrive today. I plan on installing Hubconnect and using Hubitat and ST in parallel, at least for a while.

I can’t vouch for Hubitat’s reliability, ease of use, etc. but given the current state of ST, the bar is pretty low. Getting back EchoSpeaks alone is worth the price of a Hubitat hub for me, whether or not it ultimately replaces ST for everything else.

2 Likes

I guess the title of this thread Get ready to make the switch! had the unintended consequence of pushing many productive ST community members to move to competing products.

For those of us sticking it out, I hope there is still someone @smarthings listening to feature requests and positive input from the community to make improvements? Features and Feedback under Apps & Clients seems like the only place for now, so I guess I will try to post on-topic just-the-facts NewApp feature requests for serious discussion and consideration there, so we can hopefully see progress back toward the usability we had with Classic app, and beyond.

2 Likes

Unfortunately due to sticking it out, I’m in a cold house, because my Z-wave thermostat is going through batteries every 3 days. They lasted all winter a year ago. Useless to open bug report, I have to prove everything, they will not even let you keep a bug open without video proof of some sort.

@blake.arnold, I’m having a huge problem with the migration effort Samsung has undertaken. I have two hubs in separate houses, and being able to control things from long distance was the primary reason I got SmartThings. The new app is a failure for me because I can’t even install it.

So, after 2 phone calls and half a dozen emails to support, the final answer is “sucks to be me.”

I have a Samsung S5 phone, fully owned, and its been doing fine. I also have a Samsung 2019 Tab A. Neither one can see the new app in the store and thus I can’t migrate. The phone is Android 6, but the tablet is Android 8 and the play store says the new app is “not supported!” What can’t the Tab A run the new app??? I have a feeling that the system requirements assigned in the app store are too high. Delete the memory requirement at a minimum.

So, in order to use the hub hardware I purchased, and all the other systems, I have to spend a grand on a new phone. I don’t think Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Instagram, are forcing users to get new hardware.

Essentially, Samsung has nerfed my hardware. I’ve asked that they re-enable the classic app, as is, no updates, no support, etc. They said it was not possible, like there’s some law of physics getting in the way. All I get are feelings like, “we understand” and “it must be frustrating” but no real solutions. My last request was for the AFK file so I can manually install it… crickets.

So Mr Arnold, as you represent the company here, please tell them that they just took off all their clothes with this new app effort (Emperor’s reference). They probably think that since they are Samsung, they can do whatever they want, because they are Samsung. Google tried that with games and failed; the middle to upper management didn’t get it. And it seems Samsung is going to keep forcing this migration.

Thanks for listening, I’m not expecting any action (but happy to be proved wrong)
RM

1 Like

Anyone having issues with the new app lately? Yesterday it was working “ok” but today I try to select a device and it just goes to a white screen and then right back to the device listing… I rebooted my phone (iPhone X on 14.1) and still same issue…

The new app is a memory pig, so I’m not sure that’s a good idea.

But I don’t think that’s the issue. The Samsung 2019 Tab A has 2 GB of RAM, which is the same amount as my Amazon Fire HD 10 has, and the new app is supported there.

I was just guessing why Samsung’s own tablet, not even 2 years old, current droid OS, can’t run the new app. I can’t even try it, so I asked for the APK file so I can try a manual install.

“Support” (funny name title, really) just says if the Play store says unsupported, oh well (shrug).

1 Like

First off, I understand your frustration on the hardware side of things. I’ve run into this myself in the past, which is the reason I now have an iPad mini running a web-based dashboard in my front-hall… it won’t support just about ANY apps out there as the apps have gotten significantly more advanced, require more memory and more processor power. Right now the SmartThings app only support Android 7 and higher - I’m looking into why the 2019 Tab A doesn’t show support for the app as it looks like it should meet minimum requirements.

We try to support as many devices as possible for as long as possible, but at some point we have to end support for certain devices because they don’t have enough memory or processor power to handle the advancements we’re making in the app. In that sense, yes, it is a matter of physics, literally.

Same issue, in a way, for the Classic app, I’ve mentioned before that it runs on a separate architecture which causes us a lot of problems. We can’t leave that operating as it has a negative impact on the new app as well and requires engineering resources to maintain it. While a lot of people knew and loved the Classic app, it’s a weight on the entire platform and preventing us from providing the stability and features that our users are asking for.

1 Like

We are definitely listening and incorporating suggestions from the community into bug fixes and feature enhancements. Community posts (positive and constructive ones especially) get a lot of discussion time among the product team.

4 Likes

Feature request
Screen rotation on phone, tablet does it but not samsung s10 ??

Unless I have missed a setting somewhere in which case apologies

It seems I’ve missed some huge changes and only realized this whole getting rid of the classic app today, since I don’t really use the app itself, except for my 2 switches. The new app of course shows absolutely zero warnings about anything like this happening.

@blake.arnold So, how can I get Aqara switches like this working properly?

Screenshot from 2020-11-05 21-53-57

The new app just registers double & triple clicks / 2nd button as the same as first one and just makes a huge mess. I don’t even dare to do any migrations, because I only have 2 buttons in the classic app, everything else in the new.

I’m pretty sure I’m using this at the moment: Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

So you’re saying the old app interferes with the new app? Letting the old app run shouldn’t require engineering resources because it could carry on “as is” and “no support.” I really can’t fathom why that is so impossible. Have me click an agreement in the classic app to do so. And there are tons of examples of old apps still chugging on.

OR. HERE’S A BIG IDEA, how about a website where I can log in and operate my hubs??? Ring has that.

1 Like

If you read @blake.arnold 's posts carefully, he is saying that the new App platform and the old Classic App platform are two separate environments which complicates both the development (engineering resources) and support aspects (engineering resources need to be involved whenever there are escalated issues) of the overall ST environment.

It’s normal for cloud-based SaaS services to make major changes. The problem here has been the lack of parity. We can’t know why they chose to re-do/re-write everything on the back-end requiring a totally different service layer, but that’s the path they took. And clearly they are laser sighted on dropping the old in favor of the new. So long as they keep chasing bugs syncing the platforms (you wouldn’t be happy if your old unsupported platform started doing weird things because they took their eye off it), they will be losing engineering resources to moving forward with the new platform.

4 Likes

Please, please, please add fixing momentary buttons and child devices into one of your bug fixes, many thanks!

3 Likes

Feature Request:
I just noticed recently that when I open a Scene for editing at the bottom it lists which automations the scene is linked to. This is a big help for debugging. Can the same thing be added to Devices? It would be great if there were a list of automations and scenes that control each device. I have >55 devices and a growing number of automations, debugging is becoming very tedious jumping back and forth between the various screens.

8 Likes

Just to clarify – automations (as in new App Automations) AS WELL AS Smart Lighting automations (really any Smart App reference to the device)

2 Likes

What’s broken with child devices?

1 Like

Guessing how some child devices are now showing like this. Well, it’s been for the past few weeks.

1 Like