Get ready to make the switch!

[whishful thinking]

[/wishful thinking] // reality sinks in… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does anyone know how to setup multiple leak monitors with different actions in the new app?
In the STHM leak monitor, while you can select multiple leak sensors there is only one action possible for all leak events. There is the separate “custom monitor” app, but leak sensor type of devices are not exposed there - so that eliminates one candidate workaround.

I have a WC piston for this currently, but would prefer to move to a fully native solution if one is possible in the new app as part of my migration efforts.

Use case is easy; e.g. a leak at hot water heater should shutoff the water valve, but leak under a sink drain should not.

BTW, is there a better existing thread for “can I/how do I do this in the new app” questions? I hate overloading the original topic with tangential stuff, but this seems to be an effective and frequently visited thread. Ready or not I’ve already made the switch :grin:

1 Like

For a question like this, how do you solve a particular use case with an automation/scene in the new app, you can just use the regular automation ideas category in the forum. same as if someone who had never had the classic app is asking the question. Use a separate thread for each use case, otherwise it gets too confusing. :sunglasses:

If it’s a question about “where do I find…“ Something in the new V3 app, like “is there a way to see what mode the system is in?“ Then you can ask that in the app thread:

What sort of thing are you looking to do that an Automation can’t?

For those concerned about WebCore moving forward to the new app, @jkp started a thread discussing the future.
https://community.webcore.co/t/announcement-changes-to-legacy-smartthings-platform/17269?u=sparks244

It appears Adrian now works for ST. Hopefully he will produce a superior platform for the new Rules API

1 Like

Thanks! if anyone else is in the same situation as me, as a workaround, i was able to create an account from US and invite it to join my home. After that, all the smartapps were unlocked (including to my foreign account).

2 Likes

Hmm… good question. After setting up an automation for this, apparently nothing. :blush:

But, in my defense, here’s how I got here… first I saw that STHM could not do what I wanted, then noticed the “Custom Monitor” smart app – and found that wasn’t useful for this case. Never even thought to check for an automation based solution. My brain was stuck on “monitor”.

So why does the “Custom Monitor” smartapp exist… was that a legacy carry-over from the old app I never noticed before? If it is new, then why choose a custom monitor approach (if available) over an automation (if available).

Where do you see “Custom Monitor” in the new app?

Its one of the available SmartApps.
Also, I think the migration tool populated it for me, since several of my custom monitors from the old SHM appear there. It may’ve created it as well, not sure.

Before I spend too much more time on this:

Before I migrated I had a rock solid ST installation using arnb’s SHM Delay that announced that you had 30 seconds to exit and on entry announced that you need to turn off the alarm.

This was accomplished with:
Action Tiles and FullyKiosk for the Announcements and Smartthings Classic.
Webcore pistons that announced (through Fully Kiosk stuff like the “Pool Gate is Open” etc.

After migration, the Webcore Pistons still work - but I had to create virtual switches in order to interface with Action Tiles since AT does not yet support the new ST app.

The SHM Delay app no longer announces anything (but the webcore pistons do)

Does anyone know if arnb’s SHM Delay app will work with the new app. I have updated and published the latest versions and the configuration within the new ST app app seems to be the same. I do not see anything useful in the logs.

Or am I beating a dead horse ??

Any advice is appreciated -
Thanks -
Steve

1 Like

Its working fine amd should continue to in my setup, you just have to setup the delay sensor properly…

But you may not need it because there is a rudimentary delay feature in shm now?

I couldn’t get SHM Delay to work correctly. The exit delay worked fine, but entry delay quit working after I migrated. I have been working on a webCoRE piston to mimic it, but it it’s the 100% yet.

So, the “your phone” app may be what you are talking about. Compared to the Samsung Flow app, it is VERY resource heavy. Additionally, they just removed the only feature I actually used it for: Using my bio-metrically or pin unlocked phone to log in to windows when on the same network. That was handy. Now, I have no reason to use either app. (Similar to the ST functionality changes that are causing me to rethink keeping any of my ST setup)

My experience with the migration… After holding out as long as possible, the beginning of the end for the classic app was apparent with the notifications being turned off this week. So I took on the inevitable task of completing the migration that had been sitting in a banner for a few weeks now. After a couple of evenings of work I think I’m about 90% back to where I started. All of the 48 devices seemed to migrate OK but I do have an additional 48 extra devices that I can’t delete now. They are all multiple duplications of ecobee remote sensors and they all show as offline. I have a dialog (albeit very slow) with Samsung support to figure out how to deal with them. For now, I’ve put them all in a temporary room that I’ve hidden from favorites. The migration of routines to automations and scenes left a lot of holes and inoperable functions mostly related to presence sensing, modes and device states. I think I’ve found work arounds for most. Life360 is in a weird state of integration. It only shows up in STHM and isn’t available in my automatons. All of my routines that included MyQ devices didn’t migrate, I assume for security reasons. I had previously used many Smart Lighting smart app rules. I was able to move most of them to automations and now have some added flexibility with them The one lacking feature in automations I see is a delay function. For example, I turn on outside lights when outside motion trip and it is dark and I want to have the lights turn off again after 15 minutes. in Smart Lighting I can do this with one rule. I can’t see a way to do it in a single automation/scene. Overall, I’d say the pain level is moderate for anything other than the most basic automation of devices. The new app is intuitive but requires a different thought process than the classic app with complex automations. I still haven’t tried to reintegrate my ecobee ST 3rd party (SANdood/ecobee-suite) helper apps. Some of my 3rd part apps, like MyQ and RBoys, seem to be better in the new app. I’ll continue to climb the learning curve for now.

4 Likes

Yep. Your Phone and its new features (all they need there is to give me wide-screen on the desktop now and it will supplant Dex too - but whonever used a phone as a desktop when you already have a desktop available?), the additions to Windows Hello for login and logout, etc. There’s some ither plumbing going on too but its too early to tell what they’re doing with it.

The OneDrive thing makes a ton of sense because for MSFT it (OneDrive) a strategic property and the more people they pull into their ecosystem the better and for Samsung, operating cloud properties for storage is not core functionality… Makes sense to offload it.

They actually REMOVED windows hello from the options just this week. As I said, that was the main reason I was using Samsung Flow. If there is an option to use that with Your Phone Companion, I would love to know it.

That’s interesting - well in the interest of saving everyone from a completely off topic convo - PM me the version of Windows you have I’ll see what I can dig up. :slight_smile:

Thanks Nathan - I did notice that post-migration my Simulated Contact for the front door was broken. I created a new one and discovered that it is not available in the device list when I try to bind it to the front door sensor.

All I am looking for is to get back my Exit Announcement and wondering now if I should just delete the SHM/Delay modules and try to make a webcore piston like brenthaag is working on.

I keep thinking about Henry Ford’s quote “Parts that are left out never need servicing or repair”
Thanks -
Steve

1 Like

Hi Eduardo, Im in Mexico, and seems some regional ridiculous stuff does not let available some smart apps (as Speaker Companion), this stuff also could applied for some brands, by example ADT brand is not available in my New App, I have ADT/ST panel and after Classic App is shoot down I think I cannot add anymore ADT/ST devices, so If I am understanding you “tricked” the regional stuff and get all smart apps ? How did you do that?.. Thanks in advance for your kindly help !

will SHM be still available after Classic App is shoot down??? For example to keep using it as a link to ADT/ST Panels via ADT Tools 2 Smart App, and using the SHM status in 3 party dashboard as Sharp Tools ?..

1 Like