Get ready to make the switch!

Custom Capabilities will allow full use in the new app. What it won’t allow is a a customized widget with HTML/Javascript. The first iteration will have a set of standard UI widgets to choose from like toggle/slider/text/etc. The goal is to allow the conversion of things that are currently attributes in classic to become capabilities in the new app.

8 Likes

Does custom capabilities include custom commands?

1 Like

Yes.

And if you are a device maker and want to try this in a closed beta, please let me know via PM

5 Likes

Or, Tags…

1 Like

Is there some work going on to make the new app correctly reflect the names and rooms of devices? I don’t use it for few weeks, and when I do open it, it reflects only a few of the changes I’ve made to devices in the Classic app or the IDE.

For instance, today I moved 7 devices to other rooms while in the IDE, while also changing their name (doing that is quickest in the IDE). Only 1 of those room changes are reflected in the new app, but all of the device renames are.

Can you please fix the new Smartthings app for users that use another system language than english? I have reported this to support, but have not received any response. Its been like this for a couple of months now. Any staff members that can bring some attention to this issue? @SmartThings @blake.arnold @jody.albritton @Brad_ST @garrett.kranz @BarryA

6 Likes

I’ve noticed that making device name change, and room assignment in IDE allow them to be reflected correctly in both apps…

Fix is in progress on this. Root cause determined and it’s being tested.

6 Likes

Great! Thanks for the info. Does this require an update to the app?

Yes, the fix would be in the form of an app update.

1 Like

Couple of points:

1. This thread is absurdly long.
  2. Is there a simulator to see the new app?

I purchase the V3 hub app. 2 years ago and sent it back within 48 hours of seeing what crap the new app was. The real estate waste alone was enough reason to dump it. (scroll…scroll…scroll…) Poor UI.

I would like to revisit to see what I am getting into without finding out from a poorly informed agent that I can’t roll back to (which was wrong…) before I waste 2 days of my life again.

I would sooner use ST as a dumb control and just use Google Home for controls and routines if this is as bad as it was…

1 Like

Simulator. No
Yes you can use both Classic and New (I do all the time - just avoid using bith security solutions SHM and STHM and avoid using presence in both apps at once.

Unless I’m mistaken, You dont need a hub to use the app. Create an account and log in. Or your account may still exist?

The new app is still as bad as it was 2 years ago, Samsung are sticking to their UI principles.

Hubs are optional with the new V3 app.

For example, someone might have a Samsung smart TV, a Samsung smart refrigerator, Samsung Wi-Fi camera, and a Phillips hue bridge and that’s it. They do not have to have a hub, but they do have to use the app to create automations for their devices.

1 Like

@nathancu, actually there is one in the new app. That was part of a release a few months ago. You can try how is it controlling a Virtual Home. It is in the menu, How to Use. The top one on the screen. - If I can call it as a Simulator.

Well thats new. Color me incorrect…

Although Id prefer to have my dashboard stop moving around and support for custom actions rather than this…

3 Likes

Are you managing your things in multiple places? (Classic/IDE/etc/App/Etc)

Define manage.

I typically make changes (add, rename, delete, etc.) in New except when adding a new virtual device.

I operate devices in Classic because use these features:
Rooms Manager Occupancy switch
Neato Robot management console
Rboy advanced lock features.

Almost all automation is in WebCoRE or voice.

1 Like

Well, besides my previous complaints that the new app Automations not allowing setting up recordings using Arlo Cameras, I have another concern.

I can’t seem to find the new SmartThings app’s STHM or the Automations listed anywhere in the IDE. Why aren’t the new app’s STHM and Automations visible in the IDE like the old app’s SHM and Routines are?

Because they aren’t Groovy smartapps. The Groovy IDE only shows Groovy smartapps.

2 Likes